the dangers of cutting down leaners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDryden

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After reading all the post about the dangers of cutting down leaners I will not try to cut mine down.
The safest way for me to do it is to wait for mother nature to bring them down.
Well maybe I will hire a pro someday to drop them for me.
You guys have been very helpful and I have learned a lot.

Thanks for all the information..... I hope this photo bucket thinge works!!!!!

CHERRYleaner.jpg

part 1 >>
CHERRYphoto1.jpg

part 2 >>
CHERRYphoto2.jpg

MAPLE.jpg

HOME SWEET HOME
woodpileathome.jpg

Last edited:
After reading all the post about the dangers of cutting down leaners I will not try to cut mine down.
The safest way for me to do it is to wait for mother nature to bring them down.
Well maybe I will hire a pro someday to drop them for me.
You guys have been very helpful and I have learned a lot.

Thanks for all the information..... I hope this photo bucket thinge works!!!!!

MAPLE.jpg

The rest i would tackle but that one just looks mean!

bull rope? Its about 75ft off the ground.

Don’t forget I’m a rookie.

As they say don’t try this at home….And I won’t !!!!!!!

I agree to allow a pro to do it. Some of us on this site are. I was just saying that a pro could do it and my bull rope is 150' long. plenty of rope. I think you are being very intelligent to know when something is beyond your experience or equipment. And if there is no immediate danger, allowing mother nature is an option.

pee my pants…….

Hit it with a hammer til it falls

LOL……THANKS treeslayer I needed a good laugh

If I go higher than 12ft I pee my pants…….
well ok maybe 15ft

You don’t want to know what happens when I go above 20ft

I may have more guts than brains but I'd tackle those. Looks like it's in the middle of the woods so no powerlines, houses etc to destroy.
Just have a clear escape path if things get too hairy. Rope and winch wouldn't hurt either.
Curious how most would take down the one that is broke at the top ?

Depending on how high is was and how hung up, I woudl cut it from the ground. Face and bore cut with the notch directly opposite the fallen top, trip the strap with a polesaw, stick saw... If if was real hung up and I was unsure of the forces I might get a rope involved, but int he woods away from everything... cut and drop away from the top.

After looking at the pics again, I realized it wasnt the entire top but just a lead the had broken off. Either fell the entire tree or fell the one with the top hung up. Depending on situation.

my approach to that broken top would be to sacrifice another tree. i would find a canidate that i can use to drop through where that is hung up and knock it out. i think with that strategy he should have all the tools he needs minus a skidder.

I see your in Bad axe. If they are still around come May when I am back down state, I will gladly come over and drop them up for you.

Latest posts

Back