The Danish pie cut....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grqnbech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I was looking at different fellin technics on youtube. And came across this one

This is the way I learned to take down a tree the safe way... This way your bar never gets stuck and you know when the tree will fall.
But is it a Danish technic....?
Are we the only ones to use this technic or did we invent it...?

I've always called it a borecut but I like a more open notch. I drive two wedges in the slot made by the bore, drive them in and the cut the backstrap.
Excellent way to control the tree when needed. Also helps prevent a barberchair. Husqvarna teaches this method.

Well it would work if you do it right. And it looked well thought out.
Larger trees I don't know.
And around here people I've seen would make the saw sharpening shop rich.
But it does control some variables. But adds others.
And I can't answer your question.
But I'm going to try it.

Have a good one!!

I was taught that(without the breaker bar or wedges) for heavy leaners being felled in direction of lean. When coppicing we felled many trees that size with just felling cuts and no wedges or bars, with a low cut you can push them over easy enough with the leverage from your height above the cut. We had bars and wedges but rarely used them

Last edited:
Thanks for the video link - it is interesting. I would probably have a hard time being accurate enough to cut in along the face cut and leave a hinge that small. I also would not like cutting with a metal bar in there. I would just give it a face cut and a typical back cut and be done with it, especially with something so clean and straight. I only cull the sick/dead/damaged trees so everything I cut is a problem tree in some way, and I will consider how that technique would apply.

Still, it's good to have another technique to know about.

I was taught that(without the breaker bar or wedges) for heavy leaners being felled in direction of lean. When coppicing we felled many tree that size with just felling cuts and no wedges or bars, with a low cut you can push them over easy enough with the leverage from your height above the cut. We had bars and wedges but rarely used them

I have used this technique but without the metal wedge, plastic wedges will save your chain. Also the guy in the video is making his bore cut from the wrong side of the bar.
It should be done with the bottom of the bar&chain. You can easily misjudge your hinge material and pinch your bar. IMO big no no

I think the point of the video was to demonstrate the technique, not to cut the tree down as fast as possible hence the very relaxed pace. Using the 'pie', from which ever country it comes from only takes a couple of seconds longer than any other technique as long as a face cut is needed.

I use this method always when felling in built-up areas, usually aided by RH-pusher tree jack. I start the bore cut from the side of a possible lean.

Back