The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No texting. Too slow...for me anyway...too cryptic, not enough inflection, and I can never remember all the damn abbreviations. When I talk to somebody I want to hear their voice. Too much gets lost in the translation otherwise.
Also, it's hard to yell at somebody with a text.
And yeah, I'm old. :laugh:

I don't abbreviate in text messages. They are used for short to the point type of things only. The kind that don't involve yelling, or any need to interpret vocal inflection.

For example I might text the trucker in the evening when I leave the job to let him know how many loads of what is on the landing and if we need something moved first. He goes to bed early and the text will be there waiting when he starts up. Another example... To the forester.... " is the ROW permit clear?" , "yes".

Quick and easy. phone calls are for anything requiring more than a sentence or two.

lol, i had that happen with a husky, was not the cap, was a screw came out that went into the oil tank.
seems you guys on the west coast carry cap side down, muffler is mighty hot is why i carry caps up.

Mufflers are hot? who knew... the big felling dogs do a pretty good job of keeping the exhaust at bay. That or I'm just used to being on fire.

I've had more trouble with the old screw caps coming loose then the flippy caps, the flippy caps are either closed or not, the screw caps can work them selves loose if you don't torque em down right.

I've had more trouble with the old screw caps coming loose then the flippy caps, the flippy caps are either closed or not, the screw caps can work them selves loose if you don't torque em down right.

As they say "your mileage may vary", this firewood hack has a few saws that take a tool to unscrew anything hand-tightened and that self unscrews anything that is tightened with a tool. Ron

Well got the last load of this latest job off the landing today, nice tight landing with barely enough room so I've managed to convince the Self Loader jockey to load it on Sunday and haul it in Monday morning.

Anyway clients are not home so of course all the neighbors come out of the wood work, one well one and a 1/3 are there to feed the critters, adn generally get in the way, the other is there to take away some horse poo... Their collective timing couldn't have been any worse then their parking both in the skid road and both in the way of where the truck needs to turn around. Get that all figured out, on dude leaves and the lady and her son? stick around to "watch the big truck", while conning me out of an old 6pt mac...

So loading goes more less by the book, but I notice he's having some trouble with his reach, I'm not worried if he's not worried...

Truck leaves and since this is the last load I get busy with fixing these folks driveway, somewhere in there I hear a nice big smash... but sounds like the truck kept going... it didn't...

About halfway down this private road, blocking all but the one driveway, trailer got a little off track and found an old stump, bent the reach and pulled it most of the way out... By the time I get there all my logs are stacked on the side of the road and the driver is trying to figure out what the Hel he's going to do next, all the neighbors are standing around watching.

Anyway we get the truck and trailer out of the way, and suss out a plan, as of now he needs to build a new reach (this one is the spare as he crushed the good one last week) so Mon, or Tue, night I get to haul the welder on over to his place and see If'n I can light his yard on fire for a change.

Well...

up around 7 today home around 10 last night, got busy fixing the dumper trucks rear end, high low wasn't working right...

around noon ran to the big city for parts and supply's get back throw some 90 wt at the gear changer thing, run to the gravel pit to pick up some dirt for some folks, run home, grab my saws and I'm off to start the latest logging endeavor...

hack and swear for a few hours, its hot by the way...

Run home get the dumper truck, and off to deliver that load of dirt, its 10:12 now, I've had a glass of water and taken my boots off...

Tomorrow looks to be a repeat...

Well, my 336 Cat arrived today...

I just wish I could say I wanted it to show up. The Cat dealer pulled the rug out from me on the lease of the 568GF and I get a 336. Not that it's a bad hoe, but it just doesn't have the weight or swing torque behind it like the other one. It also doesn't currently have a thumb, but that will be remedied Monday.

I suppose the lesson learned here is don't let the dealer write a clause into the deal saying they can cancel...

Ugh, marooned. The Dodge went in yesterday early for brakes and I still don't have it back. The shop had to order calipers along with rotors and the normal brake parts. I really should replace the ball joints and track bar but that will come next month. And then front tires.

I really need to meet the dozer at 07:00 tomorrow (after a two hour drive).

Ugh, marooned. The Dodge went in yesterday early for brakes and I still don't have it back. The shop had to order calipers along with rotors and the normal brake parts. I really should replace the ball joints and track bar but that will come next month. And then front tires.

I really need to meet the dozer at 07:00 tomorrow (after a two hour drive).
I know your pain. I ordered tires yesterday for mine. The right front is probably ready for ball joints. The outer edge of the tire is wore more than the inside. Brakes have lasted to 91k now and are making a little noise. There's about 1/3 of the pad left so I'm happy with that part. Just wish the tires were a little cheaper

Well the brakes will be over $1K when they finish. Plus it needs a tie rod end muy pronto. Plus plus it needs yet another track bar (under warranty) and 4 ball joints (under warranty).

You guys east of the Sierras have it easy with your flat ground. Australians have it even easier, there are no rocks in the entire country (except for that one big one, ya know, it's kinda reddish) and their trees are all tiny.

Well the brakes will be over $1K when they finish. Plus it needs a tie rod end muy pronto. Plus plus it needs yet another track bar (under warranty) and 4 ball joints (under warranty).

You guys east of the Sierras have it easy with your flat ground. Australians have it even easier, there are no rocks in the entire country (except for that one big one, ya know, it's kinda reddish) and their trees are all tiny.
A lot of the roads I travel besides intrastate are like the redwood hwy. Lots of curves and up and downs. I usually got 40k to a set of brakes before this one and the exhaust brake. I got 2 tie rods on a recall free about 8k ago. Ball joints won't be a warranty part.

Man 2dogs! Brakes are easy and will save you at least 500 of that thousand. After wrenching on my skidder all day the last thing I wanna do is wrench on the truck though. It needs a front u-joint, wheel bearing, and rear leaf springs.

The tire shop guy told me they were a warranty part. I hope he is right. At least they cheap if not.
I've not found any cheap front end parts. I did buy Lazar Smith track bar bushings at 47k. The stock ones were shot already and we're clunking. The ball joints are a tough decision for mine. The moog were getting a bad rap for being oversized and not fitting. There's Dynatrac and Carli but at $650-800 a set I'm not sure on that. XRF have a million mile warranty but the labor to change them or time isn't fun.

Back