The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's supposed to be in the upper 70's here this weekend. The hell?

Yup. But at least we can go up in the snow if it gets too hot. By the way, it snowed where I was cutting firewood yesterday. Not very long and it didn't stick. That's at only 1500 feet elevation. Then it rained, then the sun came out and it got hot...but it was mostly overcast and cool.

A late snowstorm today. Then rain and cold 'til the weekend. Back to burning next week, I hope! And some hazard tree falling - good ol' stinky cottonwood.

I had kind of an emo day today. I went and fixed a 1/2 mile of fence for an older couple. The farmer is in 2nd year Lou Gehrigs (ALS). I have no close family other than my Son and my wife, we always eat holiday dinners there. They treat me great. This disease is taking it's hold on the farmer, everytime I see him now, he is worse. He was so active, always working on his farm, splitting firewood, cutting hay, etc. Now he is to the point where I had to cut tennis balls to put on his walker legs. He was going to thank me and forgot my name. Very sad!

So today I fixed part of their fence and cut them a rick of wood and split it. Linda, the farmer's wife tried to pay me...I accepted 4 jars of her home made jelly.

It brings tears to my eyes knowing how hard these people have worked for what they have, lived a religious life, and now just have to wait and hope for the best. Evidently ALS and very late stage tick fever have alot of similarity. Doctors in Colorado have been medicating him with antibiotics hoping he just has tick fever. What ever it is has become neurological, his speech is going at a quick rate, motor skills all diminishing... Anyway, even though I did a nice thing for someone in need, I am very saddened know he won't be around for too many more years. If I knew any prayers I would say something for him and his family...but I never have been to Church...

I had kind of an emo day today. I went and fixed a 1/2 mile of fence for an older couple. The farmer is in 2nd year Lou Gehrigs (ALS). I have no close family other than my Son and my wife, we always eat holiday dinners there. They treat me great. This disease is taking it's hold on the farmer, everytime I see him now, he is worse. He was so active, always working on his farm, splitting firewood, cutting hay, etc. Now he is to the point where I had to cut tennis balls to put on his walker legs. He was going to thank me and forgot my name. Very sad!

So today I fixed part of their fence and cut them a rick of wood and split it. Linda, the farmer's wife tried to pay me...I accepted 4 jars of her home made jelly.

It brings tears to my eyes knowing how hard these people have worked for what they have, lived a religious life, and now just have to wait and hope for the best. Evidently ALS and very late stage tick fever have alot of similarity. Doctors in Colorado have been medicating him with antibiotics hoping he just has tick fever. What ever it is has become neurological, his speech is going at a quick rate, motor skills all diminishing... Anyway, even though I did a nice thing for someone in need, I am very saddened know he won't be around for too many more years. If I knew any prayers I would say something for him and his family...but I never have been to Church...

i'm not a church man either, but after reading that,.... well.....ya'll in our prayers.

View attachment 293736First off lets take a look at a belly pan that hasn't been cleaned in 10 years...

and second whoever decided that the oil drain plug should face the nearest cross member with just enough space for the nice and warm oil to pick up a good pace, needs to be punched in the pee hole... the skidder holds 9 qts I might have caught 3 of em, at least it will keep the weeds down in the driveway.

On the plus side I should be moving the missus to the job this friday or the one after:blob2:

Last edited:
View attachment 293736First off lets take a look at a belly pan that hasn't been cleaned in 10 years...

and second whoever decided that the oil drain plug should face the nearest cross member with just enough space for the nice and warm oil to pick up a good pace, needs to be punched in the pee hole... the skidder holds 9 qts I might have caught 3 of em, at least it will keep the weeds down in the driveway.

On the plus side I should be moving the missus to the job this friday or the one after:blob2:

what kind of skidder?

That's nothing. I have seen ones that you almost have to dig to check the oil. Like a foot of that **** surrounding the oil pan & bottom of the block. Leaks anyone?

440 A, got an aftermarket motor in it though, uses just a regular old pipe plug so i could put an elbow in and call it a day, but that invlolves driving 20 miles to the nearest hardware store that's not ran by morons #######s and tweakers

yea we had a 440b now got a 540 b grapple, they ain't the easiest to work on but then no skidder is.

Its not so bad to work on... everything is just heavy... and I don't have a hoist of any kind.

The hydraulic hoses are nightmare though, especially the ones under the dash and next to the tranny (where I currently have a small leak that I can't get my fat arms into to fix)

Its not so bad to work on... everything is just heavy... and I don't have a hoist of any kind.

The hydraulic hoses are nightmare though, especially the ones under the dash and next to the tranny (where I currently have a small leak that I can't get my fat arms into to fix)

yea, had to put a new shift cable on the 540 last winter, 25 degres 20 mph north wind tryin to get these ape hands through that little hole they give ya to work by the trans, whoever desined that must have spagetty fingers.

Seems like most of the hose on mine have been replaced with rubber, from what I hear they originally came with steel hydraulic hoses... and the one I need to tighten has a 45 deg. adapter on it so I need to get two wrenches in there some how one from the back one from the inspection hole, and my arms just arn't long enough, still looking for a mechanic with long arms and is comfortable with his/her sexuality... I don't see this fix not taking two people.

Seems like most of the hose on mine have been replaced with rubber, from what I hear they originally came with steel hydraulic hoses... and the one I need to tighten has a 45 deg. adapter on it so I need to get two wrenches in there some how one from the back one from the inspection hole, and my arms just arn't long enough, still looking for a mechanic with long arms and is comfortable with his/her sexuality... I don't see this fix not taking two people.

don't ya wonder how the heck some one else did that. thought about torchin the hole bigger for just a second....nah better not

without the left steer cylinder it would be simple to get from the bottom, that involves pulling and cleaning yet another belly pan and pulling the cylinder and bleeding the system... simple yes but not as simple as hear hold this here wrench on that there doohickey while I turn this other one... but then the leak tisn't that bad... just hard to find someone willing to stick there arm in a really nasty hole, and lock knees with me at the same time... the wifey said no... on account of the grease I hope...

without the left steer cylinder it would be simple to get from the bottom, that involves pulling and cleaning yet another belly pan and pulling the cylinder and bleeding the system... simple yes but not as simple as hear hold this here wrench on that there doohickey while I turn this other one... but then the leak tisn't that bad... just hard to find someone willing to stick there arm in a really nasty hole, and lock knees with me at the same time... the wifey said no... on account of the grease I hope...

man i'd help ya, just a little to long a drive :D just do what I do keep spendin on hydro fluid. I about give up on leaks. dunno if you got a knuckle boom but I ain't never seen one that don't leak

Latest posts

Back