The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dare ya...next time you see a FS employee, call them that. Want to make a bet they won't take offense 'cause they won't know what your're saying?

You're on!
Damit, I wish people wouldn't dare me. :bang:
Oh well, I've got just the guy in mind, hopefully he's the next one I see. :laugh:

Andy

I was just part of an interview committie, where one of the applicants said he could tell us the names of species in latin. My coworker relipied "And we ouldn't have any idea what you are talking about." I took dendro on the east coast and learned my west coast species logging so I tend to use the local common names way more.

And the real world strikes lol beyond science common names are well just way more common... lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I feel the need to discuss my session with the Tsuga heterophylla of doom. Yesterday, as stated in the Falling Pictures thread, my neighbor put it down on the ground in a nice spot. He laid it right next to the wood pile, which is where it will end up.

I started cutting on it. I stopped to take some pictures. The Used Dog was looking cute so I took a shot of him. Since he stopped and sat when I told him to, I thought I'd reward him by throwing a ball which he had in his mouth. I threw it. I felt a hard tug on my hand and the camera was jerked out and was hooked to the Used Dog and it was bouncing alongside him going after the ball. There's no stopping him when he's after a ball. I ran behind to get him on his way back. The camera is muddy, but still seems to work. Seems to.

Back I went to the hemlock. I got half way through and heard a noise. I pulled the bar out and revved the saw. It sounded normal. Back in it went. This time, I remembered what the noise was. I'd hit a nail. Yup, the hemlock was a tree house. I haven't gotten up above the platform yet.

Tomorrow, fun with chains. The tree is a little far for the Sawzall to reach.

I beg to differ with you. I lived in a trailer after my 1st wife divorced me, for a while (until my last wife married me :laugh:)
Camping in a camper trailer is ok for a little while. Living in a camper trailer for prolonged periods of time SUX.

Andy

How big was your trailer Andy? This thing is 27 foot. Even have a washer/dryer! The shower is a tad small...

How big was your trailer Andy? This thing is 27 foot. Even have a washer/dryer! The shower is a tad small...

Haha. I had a big one, it was 32'. Had a stack washer/dryer, tv, and a whole bunch of other crap.
I will say one thing, cost of living is cheap if you own the property it's sitting on. Even cheaper tramping around on National Forest, you just gotta move it every 2 weeks.

Andy

Haha. I had a big one, it was 32'. Had a stack washer/dryer, tv, and a whole bunch of other crap.
I will say one thing, cost of living is cheap if you own the property it's sitting on. Even cheaper tramping around on National Forest, you just gotta move it every 2 weeks.

Andy

Haha gotcha! Well it hasn't gotten old yet. Probably comin soon lol

It may not get old for you. You're probably not making payments on a 3 bedroom 2 bath home that someone else is living in, while you're camping out.
Yeah, I know, I'm a bitter old man. :laugh:

Andy

O o yeah that would def make it suck!!! Eh nothin wrong with bein bitter. Hey im a bitter gun clingy young guy.... :D

just burn through it until you get above the "house" bit, may need to rest yer saw a little between cuts though, all that revving and going nowhere taint to good for it, or get some of that funny look'n rope with the powdery core, and a shiny thing with wires sticking out of its tuchus... just warn the neighbors first, no don't warn them and have fun with the fire fighters when they show up...

just burn through it until you get above the "house" bit, may need to rest yer saw a little between cuts though, all that revving and going nowhere taint to good for it, or get some of that funny look'n rope with the powdery core, and a shiny thing with wires sticking out of its tuchus... just warn the neighbors first, no don't warn them and have fun with the fire fighters when they show up...

Ah the smell of det cord in the mornin.... :msp_biggrin:

O o yeah that would def make it suck!!! Eh nothin wrong with bein bitter. Hey im a bitter gun clingy young guy.... :D

Being bitter will eat you up.
I try to treat my bitterness like an old sweater. I usually keep it put away, but every once in a while I've got to get it out, just to see if it still fits. :laugh:

Andy

I filed away on my chain and then started another cut a couple inches up the tree and hit another nail or the same one. :msp_sad:

When I was a kid I loved tree houses. Not so much now that I'm supposed to be an adult. Especially given the line of work I'm in.
Good luck with it Patty, better you than me.

Andy

Being bitter will eat you up.
I try to treat my bitterness like an old sweater. I usually keep it put away, but every once in a while I've got to get it out, just to see if it still fits. :laugh:

Andy

Haha eh im not that bitter. Mostly Jaded and cynical.... oh and critical! LMAO

Its been a number of years since I got to play with any Det cord... I am seriously considering going through with the permitting and licensing process, just so I can mess with it again, maybe take down some danger trees and stump removal, cut the odd scrap heap in half... but its such a pain to get and store now that I'm not real sure its worth it...

When I was a kid I loved tree houses. Not so much now that I'm supposed to be an adult. Especially given the line of work I'm in.
Good luck with it Patty, better you than me.

Andy

You can see one little board left. I figure a few more feet and I'll be where they couldn't reach.

View attachment 276030

The old faller who cut it down offered to limb it, and looked quite relieved when I told him I'd do it.

Its been a number of years since I got to play with any Det cord... I am seriously considering going through with the permitting and licensing process, just so I can mess with it again, maybe take down some danger trees and stump removal, cut the odd scrap heap in half... but its such a pain to get and store now that I'm not real sure its worth it...

I used to have my MSHA certifications. That's Mine Safety & Health Admin. Allowed me to work both above and below ground mines. At one point in time I thought I wanted to be a mining engineer. Got to go to the Alaska Mine training center in Delta Junction for 9 saterdays lol We gotta do a full on shoot using ANFO and emulsion also called water jel. It's essentially a plastic explosive. Very stable stuff, not like nitro based dynamite. When they warn ya ANFO stings in cuts and scratches.... they are right! lol We used det cord to set off the faces and shock tube to the det cord.

Back