The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now i see why y'all call um stove pipes.........did the fire do that or was it dead or hollow before the fire?

Just a guess here but redwoods down here are infected with heart rot. The punky interior will smolder for months and hollow out trees and downed logs. A redwood can live hundreds of years after suffering extreme fire damage.

wow, now i see why you western guys are leery of east coast guys.........ah, we ain't all simpletons over here lol.

We know that. And, for what it's worth, we have our fair share of idiots, posers, know-it-alls, winos, dinos, and dingbats out here too. Were you around for the HBRN days?
It's not an east vs west thing so much as it is a bunch of people with no real qualifications or experience telling some newbie how to handle a bad situation. There are some highly skilled easterners on AS but their voice gets drowned out in the flood of bad information offered by people who's only real talent is being able to start a saw and mutilate a tree until it gives up and falls over.

The newbie doesn't know who really is offering good advice and who's not.

2dogs advice is usually spot on, especially for hazard trees and other assorted cripples. I've worked with him and he knows what he's doing. More than that, I trust him. It's too bad the ankle biters and wannabes don't pay more attention to what he has to say.

Back in the homesteading days ( and no I'm not that old but I remember tales from my Grandfather:laugh:) the pioneers would often burn out most of the base inside of a Redwood or even a Redwood stump. They'd burn it slow, control the fire, leave quite a bit of the tree intact, and wind up with a big enough area to contain livestock. We still see these in the woods. They're called goose-pens and we still use that term in the woods today.

yes sir, he does. any man who's done any falling can see that. your right tho, new guys don't know who they talking to...........
no but maybe i read posts from the same dude under a different name........meh, after a few posts they show what they are under any name.

Back in the homesteading days ( and no I'm not that old but I remember tales from my Grandfather:laugh:) the pioneers would often burn out most of the base inside of a Redwood or even a Redwood stump. They'd burn it slow, control the fire, leave quite a bit of the tree intact, and wind up with a big enough area to contain livestock. We still see these in the woods. They're called goose-pens and we still use that term in the woods today.
hey i'd love to see that..........if ya happen to have a camera nex time yer around one.

now i see why y'all call um stove pipes.........did the fire do that or was it dead or hollow before the fire?

Most of the ones I've run across were probably healthy trees until they burned. On private ground they'll log those as quickly as they can.
On government ground there's often a long delay between the fire and the salvage. Sometimes the salvage never happens. Ever. The trees stay where they are and rot.
The trees go to hell real quick if they're not cut immediately, pine especially. The bark is compromised and the wood-eaters get in. A few years ago I had a contract to take out burned trees that were still standing three years after a fire. I think if the bugs quit holding hands the trees would probably have disintegrated. They were along a County road and it finally dawned on somebody that all the old burned trees that were falling across the road might be a hazard. More likely they were scared of lawsuits.
We went in and took them down but some of them were beyond...way beyond... the point of cutting safely. I had a good crew and if the other fallers wouldn't take the tree I very seldom found them to be wrong. The snags I had any doubts about I used explosives on.

jeez, i'd hate to have to deal with that all day every day.........make ya bald lol.
the ones like pac just posted, can they get any thing out of that? or is it cut back to good wood first? it seems a shame to me to let these trees get so far beyond prime like that.........

Swapped this belt tensioner out of the truck where did all the bearings go made it home truck started making funny noise fortunately the pulley was captured between the bracket and engine keeping the belt on View attachment 381687 no other damage.

Good thing Nate wasn't riding with you or your truck would come home in a box. And it'd be smelly.

Back