The Descriptive Process

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it bad luck to weld one welder with a different other welder? The gas drive needs some new fuel tank mounts... and the mig would do a better job...

This is coming from the guy who welds full fuel tanks.........

Full is good. . . Fumes are bad. ;0)
nah, weld away.........iv done it lol.
better full than empty............if it bugs you ya can drain it and fill with inert gas or water.........be sure to clean it good if ya go with water.

moved the skidder today and its in the driveway now so it wasn't me

As for welding on fuel tanks... they only take off like a rocket just a little bit... then they don't catch on fire as much... but in reality welding on a tank full of any liquid is a pain in the ass at best, not enough heat to over ride the liquid cooling the weld. Its like soldering on a water pipe with water still in it, the solder melts and the rod burns but nothing sticks to anything.

As for the future, if its a small hole say under a dime JB it and forget it, other wise drain remove let it sit awhile and weld a patch on, then cover with more JB.

Just leave the ****ing lid off and point it in a safe direction, its when you contain an explosion that bad things happen.

All my toys are home now and the welder is running good now, so looks like I'll be spending the next few weeks smelling like burnt hair, and ozone.

Perspective....

We're selling our home in the Sierras and part of the process includes a septic tank pump-out and inspection. Expensive.
The guys doing the work had to dig down five feet, through rocks and compacted dirt, just to find the tank. It's pick and shovel work because there's no way to get equipment to where the tank is. Apparently the tank was put in and the house was built afterward with no thought of access. The job became even more expensive.
During the inspection they found the inlet pipe from the house plumbing to the tank was cracked. Tree roots. It also has to be dug out by hand. Now we're talking serious money.
I was wandering around kicking rocks and mumbling to myself about the cost, thinking about cancelling the 661, putting off the cruise to the Bahamas,figuring how to go without food for the next six months, and even went so far as to consider selling off some timber that I'd had a too cheap offer on.
I was doing a fine job of feeling sorry for myself. I was doing fine until the kid running the septic crew told me that he'd have to put on a full hazmat suit including respirator and climb down into the tank to do the repairs. The tank will be empty. Mostly. That mostly includes the stuff that clings to the sides and gums up on the bottom. He'll probably spend a couple of hours in there.
Suddenly, I didn't feel sorry for myself any more. Whatever we're paying those guys is worth it!
Besides, I've already been to the Bahamas.

Perspective....

We're selling our home in the Sierras and part of the process includes a septic tank pump-out and inspection. Expensive.
The guys doing the work had to dig down five feet, through rocks and compacted dirt, just to find the tank. It's pick and shovel work because there's no way to get equipment to where the tank is. Apparently the tank was put in and the house was built afterward with no thought of access. The job became even more expensive.
During the inspection they found the inlet pipe from the house plumbing to the tank was cracked. Tree roots. It also has to be dug out by hand. Now we're talking serious money.
I was wandering around kicking rocks and mumbling to myself about the cost, thinking about cancelling the 661, putting off the cruise to the Bahamas,figuring how to go without food for the next six months, and even went so far as to consider selling off some timber that I'd had a too cheap offer on.
I was doing a fine job of feeling sorry for myself. I was doing fine until the kid running the septic crew told me that he'd have to put on a full hazmat suit including respirator and climb down into the tank to do the repairs. The tank will be empty. Mostly. That mostly includes the stuff that clings to the sides and gums up on the bottom. He'll probably spend a couple of hours in there.
Suddenly, I didn't feel sorry for myself any more. Whatever we're paying those guys is worth it!
Yuk and I was moping about having to be at work after 2 weeks off for Christmas

Perspective....

I've installed septics, & repaired mine. Imagine my 6'-4" 230 pound self squeezing through that little hole. You don't need no dang hazmat or SCBA either.

Don't let them guys bamboozle you outta yer Bahamas money.

I've installed septics, & repaired mine. Imagine my 6'-4" 230 pound self squeezing through that little hole. You don't need no dang hazmat or SCBA either.

ummmm, he's in California. Poop probably has been determined to cause cancer.

No bamboozle at all. I couldn't do what those guys do. I wrote the check with a smile. Well, maybe not a big smile....

lol, yea i ain't doin that. i did replace our leech field some years ago..........i ain't goin in no poop tank, no sir.
ha, they say our job is hard :laugh:

Yup, the worst day I ever had in the woods wasn't as bad as what those guys do. I hope they pay them good...they deserve it.

My dad use to own a mobile home park. The septic system was a pump system. He owned 3 pumps, and we swapped them out on a regular basis, not as PM, but because people flushed things. The worst was a doormat.

Every time we would swap one out, we would both be sick for several days. Yup, worth every penny of that check.

Latest posts

Back