The Diary of a Chain Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Now that I am in the top ten of the resident chainbuilders, I think it only fair to share a few more mpg's, but first, lets talk about how hard your wood is. Let me elabourate, the nerds in the West seem to think our wood here is 40% softer, well I say "boul????e".
So what I have done is evaluate the hardness test with a 6# hammer, and this is not my Pine harvest table, it's a 15" Basswood log.
The nerds in the West don't deliberately seek out the hardest wood they can find, any more than we do in the East.
John

John, off topic but here goes, Happy Birthday.
On another note there is thread about bore cuts where the sawyer bisected a small stem. I made note of the picture you once posted with the plank cut out of a standing tree, could you re-post that pic?

Is it this one.

3420.jpg

Or is it this picture, I think it might just be this one. I must have typed pecker pole instead of notch. Might be time for my banning. I know some that want to line up and speedbag me but Eh what's it gonna matter in 20 years.
6414.jpg

Your gettin pretty fast with that there saw and chain.
Kindly explain that fan shaped witness marking on the cut in the last .mpg.
Thanks, and keep the videos coming and 'be careful now'.

Ouchhhhh..even if I wuz Beavergal, I'd be reelin' from lookin' at that....again:eek:

fan shaped

Them boys what race say you make better time by using one hand as a fulcrum.  Try it under the watchful eye of a stopwatch and see if you don't agree.

Glen

photo

You can't see it because it's cleverly hidden, but John's not naked; he's wearing a g-string.

A true chains builder

Whew, I cant see!.

Ok Back to the original topic.
I had a chance to use one of the new builders chains this weeknd.
They are very smooth and oh so fast. He is really starting to make some people a bit scared, cause his chains are only $190 a piece. I just bought/traded for some this weekend and I can say its an investment. I gave John a 7900 and he gave me 3 RACE chains. The way these things cut is amazing.
Gypo has really figured the top plate angle out and the side plate thicknes. The way he sets the rakers to just the right depth is a true art. He is one chain builder to be reconed with.
Hope fully soon, he will be giving us an in depth lesson on his technique and tricks of making some of the fastest chains around.
All I can say is, Thanks for the great chains Gypo. I think I got the better end of the deal.
Hunter

I've always wondered what makes a race chain faster than regular chain.

I never liked seeing a man hiding his manliness with a saw, I just dont like looking at men without clothes on, its just not right. I'll be in the bathroom upchucking my dinner now.

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
...I never liked seeing a man hiding his manliness with a saw, I just dont like looking at men without clothes on, its just not right. ...

I'm with you, but there seem to be a few on the other side around here.

Here is the famous builder, showing of his work chain and operating skills. He is using a new 7900 with a 16" bar.
Hunter

My god i think i am going to be sick, you boys do have fun now don't you, Gypo i think you came out a head on the 3 chain 7900 deal, i am going to start putting one on alcohol tomorrow to get ready for the 15th and all those bad boys from down east but please no more pictures like that we are not susie and after that site nor do we want to be

Oh ya, the grinding is coming along real well. Here's a 48" circ Basswood stick using the KD088 and a KD73LG racing chain I have had for 3 years and tickled with a grinder a couple of times, but I may have since fookulated it when I took the rakers down to 35 thou.

John

Gypo logger the glare off your white logger tanned arms is so bad I can't tell how fast your saw is. It looks like the wood you cut is very soft. You don't no what hard wood is. Fred

Latest posts

Back