The Famous Annual "Really Heat With Wood" Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Really Really Really Heat With Wood

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's that time once again boys and girls for the annual "I really really heat with wood" poll.
No Inconvenient Truths ppermitted.

100% wood

I wish our propane furnace worked even as back-up for if we're away for a few days, but it can't be counted on. Sometimes it tries to light and won't; after three cycles of not lighting, it won't try again but the fan will remain on. We've come back to a frozen house with the blower on after a few days away :dizzy:

Last trip we took, the mother in law stayed at our house just to keep the wood burner going (well, and to keep the dogs company).

We don't use much in the way of fossil fuels out here. We have hydropower. Electric heat is cheaper than oil or propane here. I like my woodstove because it is a steady heat, and quiet.

Last winter I ran a propane heater for a few hours one morning and the winter before right after Christmas I turned my furnace on for four days while I took a trip. That's my total propane use the last two winters except for cooking.

I last had my propane tank filled almost 2 1/2 years ago to 80%. I checked it a couple weeks ago and it was sitting on about 65%. That would be 75 gallons in that time frame and most of that was used for cooking.

I'd say we heat 85-90% with wood. Our oil furnace is used as a back-up, for times we aren't home to feed the stove. Hearing that thing cycling makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck !

Almost 100%, the propane furnace kicked on once last year when one of the grandkids left the front door wide open, other than that a small eden-pure in the addition to kept the chill off the little ones

We did 100% 2 winters ago because we were so stinkin' broke, so we closed off portions of the house (100 year-old victorian, no insulation, original windows), and it got downright cold in those closed off rooms!!! We're a little better off now. I'd love to have an OWB.

We have forced-air oil fired furnace for backup, but I try my best to never let it turn on. It's nice to have when we head up north for a ski weekend and keep the house warm enough so the pipes don't freeze. I'd say we're about 98% renewable heat and 2% fossil fuel.

100 percent wood and water heat,my only back up is more wood.I have propane heat in the camper but I'm not sure it still works as we only camped in summer.
Maybe I should ck that and the fireplace flue just in case.My OWB is getting old and the guy who sold it to me is long since retired.I had to replace the toggle switch for the pump when I needed heat last weekend and I'm pretty sure I have a leak somewhere in the lines because water has to be added weekly when heater is in use.

We have a fireplace insert, and with the limited firebox size, it's impossible to heat 100% with wood unless I re-fill around 3AM. I do it if I wake up, but not too often.

That said I chose "Almost" but we use oil and its usually over a grand's worth for the year but that includes hot water.

This year my daughter is 1 (next week) and she is sleeping with blankets now. So hopefully I won't hear/ smell the baseboard heat nearly as much (makes me cringe :cry: )

With the wife home during the day with the kid, it's easy to maintain a nice warm home and never use the oil until those wee hours of the AM.

We didn't use propane at all to heat the house last season after I installed the OWB. Don't expect to use any propane this season. The furnace is still there as backup, but I consider it "break glass in case of emergency" backup only.

We didn't use propane at all to heat the house last season after I installed the OWB. Don't expect to use any propane this season. The furnace is still there as backup, but I consider it "break glass in case of emergency" backup only.

same here. if i ever get off my anus and install a bypass for my water/air heat exchanger, i'll only use enough propane to cook with. i use a few gallons to cook with all winter, then have to buy 300 gallons by the end of the summer (hot water).

Back