The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Reddog,

welcome to the forum. Nice pic.
One question : that trailer looks quite big and heavy for that pick up truck. I don't think this would be allowed on this side of the pond. What's the maximum load you are allowed to pull with such a truck ?

Reddog, what does that tractor weigh? The truck can probably pull it fine, but the trailer looks a little weak. The axles look like they are only good for 10-12K and that loader has gotta be in 13-15K range....

I've got a 10K trailer and my tractor with the heaviest implement (backhoe) probably is around 6500, yet I've had to do some beefing up on it. The metal on the insides of the wheel wells started breaking where it is spot welded. The trailer flex's there and I was told it is actually part of the support of the trailer. I added a length of angle iron on the inside of each wheel well, rewelded the sheet metal, and also put a jack on each back corner. I was just wondering if anyone else had run onto this. It's a lowboy also, but a beavertail.

Reddog said:
The tractor is 7K. The tires are not loaded. I try to keep it as light as i can, so it will float better. The trailer has 6K axles under it. Plus with the pintle I tend to put more weight on the truck.

The truck is rated for 15 or 16K. Its a 3500 with the CTD.

Thanks for the welcome. I have enjoyed reading this forum for a while.

I was using it that day to put in skid trails before it froze up on that job.
I will try and take some pics of the logging job also. Right now I need it to freeze over the hill from that picture to start skidding.

Gotcha, wasn't knocking your trailer. Just thought the axles looked like the same on my car trailer (5500 each). I honestly thought that tractor was heavier than that. I work on big cummin's daily...I know it will handle the load. Nice looking setup you got there. And welcome to AS

That is a nice tractor Reddog, Massey is comeing back with some pretty nice tractors these days...

I bought the AGCO because of it's simplicity, i figured i'd keep it for a long time, and wanted something i could work on myself if needed...

Rob

Sawyer Rob said:
That is a nice tractor Reddog, Massey is comeing back with some pretty nice tractors these days...

I bought the AGCO because of it's simplicity, i figured i'd keep it for a long time, and wanted something i could work on myself if needed...

Rob

Except it's a Kubota, not a Massey.

Not that i "didn't" believe you, but i had to look at the pict again.... my mistake, still a nice tractor, Kubota or not!! :laugh:

To be honest, i like most brands of tractors, you just have to pick through the brands and sizes to get the one that will fill your needs...

What model is yours again???

Rob

Old Bugger

Well the tractors back on the job again and a nice compliment to the JD540A log skidder since I can stack logs again and do firewood as well.
The first tree I cut after getting it back, I made sure the tractor was parked 4 tree lengths away just for good measure.
Nothing you can't buff out!
Anyway, here's a young feller with an 8" pecker pole.
Hahaha
John
OldBugger.jpg

Looks nice

Seems like a nice day out in the peckerpole country with a working tractor !!!!

Sawyer Rob said:
Yes, it's an ALO loader, grabble and pallet forks. The loader is a 310 model but i forget the model of the grabble or pallet forks.. The pallet forks are there HD ones.

As you can see, i have hydraulic remotes out on the loader frame to run what ever i put on the tool bar. It's all controlled from the joy stick. I can change from bucket to pallet forks in about 15 seconds. (snapping in the hydraulic hoses takes a bit longer :laugh: ) The loader comes off in about 3 or 4 minutes.

This tractor get's used a LOT around here, even for boulder picking in the hay fields! I took tons and tons of them out this last summer.

Rob

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I just noticed the rock grapple. That looks real handy.
John
Log8.jpg

I have the same pallet forks/log grab, just on a much bigger loader, the Quike Q750 (same brand) mine has a 5,000lbs lift capacity! You'd be amazed what you can pick up with it but boy do you pay for that log grab!:laugh:

Toneman said:
John,

Were you out cutting today?

It was -18C(-1F) at my house this morning.
I"m glad it cooled off a little. Been too wet and muddy around here. I decided to quit whining about the lack of access to my woodlot, so I've been working on some roads and trails. My ancestors left me piles of rocks all over that I'm putting to use building roads. Here's a small one that went towards this road.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Very nice firewood john. Glad you got the tractor back. When I was a teenager I worked at a farm up the road that had a 36hp 4wd diesel kubota with winch on the back and it had a bucket but most of the time we had a spear on it for round bales. Blah, Blah, Blah, anyway I am very impressed with kubotas for the relentless beating they put on that thing and it still keeped ticking like it was brand new. Any way nice setup it will probably retire you before you ever think of retiring it. In all of your pictures you only have a single log, I would think it would have more capacity that or do you do that for maeuverability?

Lucky

AKA Buck

I do like my tractor and loader. It's been very handy and i use it year around! Yes the grabble was spendy, but it's so darn "well designed" and usefull, i think it was worth the money...

Rob

picture.JPG

lucky001 said:
Very nice firewood john. Glad you got the tractor back. When I was a teenager I worked at a farm up the road that had a 36hp 4wd diesel kubota with winch on the back and it had a bucket but most of the time we had a spear on it for round bales. Blah, Blah, Blah, anyway I am very impressed with kubotas for the relentless beating they put on that thing and it still keeped ticking like it was brand new. Any way nice setup it will probably retire you before you ever think of retiring it. In all of your pictures you only have a single log, I would think it would have more capacity that or do you do that for maeuverability?

Lucky

AKA Buck
Hi Buck, most of the pictures show only the butt log after the upper logs have b
een bucked off, usually for the sake of the picture.
Generaly I fall and skid just one tree per hitch minus the crown.
This is for several reasons. One is that the tractor performs best when skidding about 300 board feet which is around 3500 lbs.
Also, I always havest in a select cut situation ansd i may only have 3 trees per acre, so it is much faster to skid one tree length to the landing instead of haphazzardly going from stump to stump with a tree length already on.
Less damage is also incurred when skidding a single tree unless the trees are very small polewood.
Also, defects can be readily seen when skidding a single stem, making it easier when cutting for grade as in the picture below.
Tony, it was only -12 here Thurs.morning and I drove the tractor 5 miles to the bush so the air conditioning was on.

John
treeHugging.jpg

woodfarmer said:
gypo, I'm glad to see the kubota working again
sawyer rob, did you ever find the model number for the grapple?
Hey Woodfarmer, nobody seemed to notice I was under the log in the previous picture :cry:
Nothing I do phases anyone anymore!:bang:
:blob2:
John
FT1.jpg

I am just glad to see some can skid right now. All I have is mud.:angry:

Back