The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypo Logger said:
The tractors good, however the conditions are A1 and should be until the new year. You're right, ice chains on the front and a bucket of snow will make this tractor seem like a skidder. :blob2:
John
log.jpg

Gypo:

In this pic, do the inclusions (not sure if that's the right word) where the bark has kind of folded in on itself affect the value of the log?

JamesTX said:
Gypo:

In this pic, do the inclusions (not sure if that's the right word) where the bark has kind of folded in on itself affect the value of the log?
It depends on who's buying it. The reason for the ingrown bark was because I cut the tree as low to the ground as I dare. If it's an A++++ veneer log then the buyer would want me to cut at least a 6" portion off, however this log may be only an A++. Sometimes they just call it a 9 footer when it actually measures 10'.
The yellow dots were my original color indicating which trees were to come down. The red dots were from a competition sawmill. The blue dots were mine to clear up the confusion after I was the successful bidder.
John

Gypo Logger said:
It depends on who's buying it. The reason for the ingrown bark was because I cut the tree as low to the ground as I dare. If it's an A++++ veneer log then the buyer would want me to cut at least a 6" portion off, however this log may be only an A++. Sometimes they just call it a 9 footer when it actually measures 10'.
The yellow dots were my original color indicating which trees were to come down. The red dots were from a competition sawmill. The blue dots were mine to clear up the confusion after I was the successful bidder.
John

Can you tell us more about the bidding process? Does the landowner specify the trees they want harvested, or does the logger pick the trees they want? Or is everything up for negotiation?

And if there are competing sawmills, how does the landowner evaluate the offers? THe one that will take the least and pay the most wins?

Very interesting stuff.
James

JamesTX said:
Can you tell us more about the bidding process? Does the landowner specify the trees they want harvested, or does the logger pick the trees they want? Or is everything up for negotiation?

And if there are competing sawmills, how does the landowner evaluate the offers? THe one that will take the least and pay the most wins?

Very interesting stuff.
James

You would need 6 hours on the phone to get the real story. See here John's a nice guy and he donates all that wood. That's why he had his heart attack last winter cuase he didn't give enough away. He has a broken heart I tell YA.

Under the Bus

"See here John's a nice guy and he donates all that wood. That's why he had his heart attack last winter cause he didn't give enough away. He has a broken heart I tell YA."

I thought he had his heart attack because he smoked like fein, drank like a fish, and chased Splittail like an 18 year old(without hair). WOW!! and to learn that John had his heart attack hauling free cords of firewood in the basket of his bicycle to heat the old folks home, orphanage, and homeless shelter......That John Lambert never siezes to amaize people here at the ArboristSite.

GODBLESS YOU JOHN LAMBERT.

Gypo's such a nice guy he called this morning to tell me "I'm a nice guy" but most new people here don't realize that"KEN DUNN IS THE ORIGINAL NICE GUY"

Kenny hope all is well and your getting around now. Be safe and say hello to Linda for me.

I use my AGCO loader tractor for skidding all the time, it's been a great tractor and does all i ask of it. Of course, i'm not a full time loger either..

Rob

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I really don't need a skidding winch for my purpose, but i do have a 25,000 pound line pull Braden winch mounted "on an axle" i could use. It runs off the PTO and is ready to use as is. It would be better if it was mounted on a tractor, and i actually "did" buy it for that purpose. But like i said, it would be so rare that i'd use it, i never finished the project.

In most cases i don't skid all that much, i lift the logs and carry them to the trailor where i load them, and pull them to the mill yard. Like this 32" x 10' red oak... This loader will pick up more than other loaders this size, as it's rated for 3,650 pounds and that's one reason why i bought it.

Rob

picture.JPG

Yes, it's an ALO loader, grabble and pallet forks. The loader is a 310 model but i forget the model of the grabble or pallet forks.. The pallet forks are there HD ones.

As you can see, i have hydraulic remotes out on the loader frame to run what ever i put on the tool bar. It's all controlled from the joy stick. I can change from bucket to pallet forks in about 15 seconds. (snapping in the hydraulic hoses takes a bit longer :laugh: ) The loader comes off in about 3 or 4 minutes.

This tractor get's used a LOT around here, even for boulder picking in the hay fields! I took tons and tons of them out this last summer.

Rob

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

rob,
those pics brought back some memories. i used a running gear like that to run logs to the mill behind a pick-up. easy on and off. holds a bunch of weight and no need for a registration. the sawyer would stack the lumber back on the running gear and home we go. marty

my loader is an older 1993 670, without aux. hydraulics, i will be shopping a newer one someday. i run a '93 case ih 5230 90 hp mfa

The ALO 310 model is no longer made, and when i was at the Louisville farm & machinery show talking to an ALO factory guy, he said "don't ever sell it"! According to him, the 310 was made to be an extra strong, compact loader, and probably won't be produced that way again. It out lifts all the other loaders in it's class and is a simple design. I just don't need self leveling ect. so the 310 is perfect for me.

The only other ALO option i may get some day will be "soft ride". It's a lot easier on the front end of the tractor when driveing a distance with a load on the forks or in the bucket, when you have soft ride installed. I do carry heavy loads long distances on the tool bar quite often.

Rob

picture.JPG

Latest posts

Back