The Firewood Situation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If diesel wasn't't so expensive, I'd haul almond all over the country. There is 100's of 1000's of acres of almond here in the the San Joaquin Valley, Ca. The really sad part of it is, it's illegal to burn in your stoves or fire places in half the counties here. Most ranches get turned into wood chips and sold for who knows what.

Yeah, wood sure isn't a "waste product" for tree services this year.

It is still 'slag' about 70 miles south of you just across the Jersey border. I spoke with the tree guy who I get logs from a few weeks ago, his reply was 'how many you want... might be a month or so, soon as I have a job near your house'. I'm hoping it stays this way here.

Insulation

Thats going to be a good game to be in, reinsulating houses and fitting better insulating windows, Mechanical heat recovery systems etc
It's one thing to burn wood to keep warm but if all that heat dissapears out of the roof and windows it's going to be expensive to stay warm.

Spike this is a really good post! +1 I think I am outta rep. I recently looked into the price of a delivered cord of pine or mixed soft wood 400.00 bucks!!!!
Were I live I would say I am one in a million that heat with wood as my main heat source. And yes I mean one in a million I don't know of anyone that heats with wood in my area full time. Right now the price price of gas or diesel is 1.30 a litre x by 4 to get a gallon. It is still cheaper for me to grab my saw's and go cut 1.5 cord of wood all soft wood, mind you for about $40.00 in fuel including my saw's.Plus I just love being outdoors cutting my wood so does the hound!The work involved does = time but I like it cutting splitting and stacking:)

There are also a lot of saws coming in that haven't been used in a while that folks want us to get running for them. Most of them are contemporary models, but there are a few older Homelites and Macs that people want to get in shape. I expect that we will see more and more of this. I'll probably be somewhat selective with this stuff. Plug, fuel and a carb kit are about as far as you can go with most of that stuff in a shop/business environment. I can spend hours restoring, (or getting nowhere), on an old saw at home, but I could never bill a customer for some of those projects. If a guy looks like he really has no alternative, then I'll try and help him out. But I'm not diving into a piece of junk for a guy who can easily afford a basic saw.

Funny you mention this...

I stopped by the saw shop for a few 28" loops of RSLK today on my way home from work, and there was an older gentleman in a tweed jacket, coordinated trousers, little british driving cap, and some snazzy and expensive shoes. He was picking up his two saws, after having them checked over and tuned up. One was a somewhat used-looking Husqvarna 141, but the other was an absolutely pristine Pioneer, an 1150 I believe, complete with a roller-tip bar and a nifty dual-outlet muffler. He bought some goodies, too, and I got the sense that he was getting back into the home heating game after a number of years off, based on the age of the Pioneer.

Incidentally, both saws were taken outside and started before he took them home, and that Pioneer sounded great! Sound-wise, it might give my Remington PL5 a run for its money, I'd say.

Michigan

Just some notes on what I'm seeing in my area regarding supply/demand, and I'm wondering what some of you guys are seeing locally.

In a word, it's just nuts around here. I've sold almost as many saws year to date as I did all of last year. I've got my first load of splitters coming in today and half of them are spoken for. Good hardwood is plentiful in my area, and many people are going in that direction. And those that are already burning, are expecting to burn more this year to avoid oil/propane as much as possible.

For those of us that cut our own wood, not much has changed. Free wood is a little harder to find, and you have to move a little quicker to grab it. There was a good size ash that blew down in Monday's thunderstorm just around the corner from my house. I thought about jumping on it on the way to the store yesterday morning, but the pieces were too big to move with out cutting and I didn't want to fire up a saw at 7:15AM. On the way home at around 6:30, there wasn't much left! Got about a 3rd of a load of 6" stuff.

But for everybody who is selling or buying wood, it's just insane right now. Most sellers have asked us to stop giving out their cards since they are so far behind with their regular customers. In addition to the oil price issue, last winter dragged on and on and most people burned their wood piles down to the ground. A person who would normally order 5 cords, is ordering 8. Buyers who don't have a regular supplier are have a tough time finding one. And those that do are getting more promises than wood.

Things are kind of tight on the supply side as well. There isn't much building going on now, so wood from clearing jobs is pretty much non existent. So the only guys with a steady supply are loggers, but they are more inclined to sell it in log lengths than cut and split. So, a lot of people who need to buy wood are going to have to cut it up themselves.

Prices are at $200 now, but most guys see it going up past $250 by heating season. But the real issue isn't going to be how much is costs by then, but how much is left. There probably won't be any seasoned wood period.

The other thing is that this whole firewood scramble is still gaining momentum, so it's likely to get crazier as the summer goes by. By Fall, it's really going to hit the fan. It should be interesting.

What are you guys seeing out there?

I feel pretty fortunate to have my own hardwood woods and also that my dad didn't destroy everything in the name of farming (we both farm). I have probably an easy 150 face cords to cut (I just cut dead elm, blowdown stuff and dead ash). I have to feed three outdoor wood furnances so just keeping ahead of those is a trick. However I feel so confident that wood is going to be high (70+ face cord) that I bought 300 tops from a guy not too far away. I also bought a Farmi log winch and as soon as my son's open house for graduation is over, I'm hitting the poison ivy patch hard. Good luck out there in NY. Things look about the same here.

I feel pretty fortunate to have my own hardwood woods and also that my dad didn't destroy everything in the name of farming (we both farm). I have probably an easy 150 face cords to cut (I just cut dead elm, blowdown stuff and dead ash). I have to feed three outdoor wood furnances so just keeping ahead of those is a trick. However I feel so confident that wood is going to be high (70+ face cord) that I bought 300 tops from a guy not too far away. I also bought a Farmi log winch and as soon as my son's open house for graduation is over, I'm hitting the poison ivy patch hard. Good luck out there in NY. Things look about the same here.

Yeah, it's good to have your own wood supply. I've got quite a bit on my own property, but I would say that over the years only about 25% of my firewood has been "homegrown".

The rest has been scored from guys that I know doing tree jobs, side of the road, storm blow downs, building sites, whatever. Owning the store obviously gives me a good connection to a lot of this stuff. And of course the guys who turn me on to some wood are the guys whose cards I'm more likely to give out, so it's a two way street.

Yeah, it's good to have your own wood supply. I've got quite a bit on my own property, but I would say that over the years only about 25% of my firewood has been "homegrown".

The rest has been scored from guys that I know doing tree jobs, side of the road, storm blow downs, building sites, whatever. Owning the store obviously gives me a good connection to a lot of this stuff. And of course the guys who turn me on to some wood are the guys whose cards I'm more likely to give out, so it's a two way street.

I'm in the same boat. I have some wood on my property, but I'm not going to cut healthy trees just for firewood. I'll take the culls and deads. I also work as a logger so I get some there too( when I leave myself some ;-) but honestly, I'm on the lookout for a woodlot fairly close by. If I could swing that I'd be set for several years. :cheers:

We have more than we can handle for the next 5-6 yrs. Tops and fence rows for farmers, which has lead to better things. We have had way to much storm damage to clean up this spring but it has worked into some good deals, had to turn a few people away as theres more than my buddy and I can handle.

C.B.

It should be interesting to see how market forces play themselves out in the coming several months, as well as the psychological impact of the spike in heating oil and other petrofuels.

I have a few concerns looking ahead. One is that non-burners will look to mitigate the spike in heating by swiching to wood without fully knowing what they're getting into. I suspect that a lot of unseasoned wood will be burnt by those new to woodheat.

I can easily foresee lots of gerry-rigged stove and chimney set-ups leading to chimney fires and worse. The potential domino effect would be unrealistic new installment criteria being adopted by insuarnce companies looking to hedge against risk - and this could adversely affect lots of safety-mided people who don't happen to have the absolutely latest equipment.

It should be interesting to see how market forces play themselves out in the coming several months, as well as the psychological impact of the spike in heating oil and other petrofuels.

I have a few concerns looking ahead. One is that non-burners will look to mitigate the spike in heating by swiching to wood without fully knowing what they're getting into. I suspect that a lot of unseasoned wood will be burnt by those new to woodheat.

I can easily foresee lots of gerry-rigged stove and chimney set-ups leading to chimney fires and worse. The potential domino effect would be unrealistic new installment criteria being adopted by insuarnce companies looking to hedge against risk - and this could adversely affect lots of safety-mided people who don't happen to have the absolutely latest equipment.

Good point I work with a lot of people who live in Mc Mansion developments and are always asking me to help them figure out how to put a stove in their house. I always try to talk them out of it or call the local stove shops to help fortunately the cost and "ugly" look of running triple wall on the outside of their house deters them but there are a couple I worry about.

I agree with you 100%, the stupid few are going to ruin it for the level headed majority of us woodcutters.

Kyle

I agree with you 100%, the stupid few are going to ruin it for the level headed majority of us woodcutters.

Kyle

Yes, and I had the pleasure of meeting one of them yesterday. Guy came in to pick up one of those newer Chinese Homlites we serviced for him. I'm not making this up:

I always have trouble starting this thing. I know you're supposed to pull this blue thing out. (The choke)

Yes, and you have to lock the trigger like this for the high idle when starting, and then release it like this. But as soon as the saw pops you have to push the choke back in.

What's the choke?

The blue thing that you pull out is the choke, but you can't keep pulling the rope with the choke out after the saw pops or tries to run, or you will flood it.

What's this other button?

That's the on/off switch.

I'm not sure I know what you mean about the saw popping before I push in the blue thing.

(So, I take him outside and show him how to start the saw) There, the saw just fired, and now you have to push the choke in. Otherwise, you'll flood the saw.

(has kind of a vacant look on his face, but nods his head) I think I can do it.

That's what's out there guys.

I’m sure the ER at there local hospital will be getting some of them.

Yep it's pretty scary! Some people have no business with a chainsaw in hand! One of the recent transplants too my area came over with his Stihl 029 and was perplexed at why "it' wouldn't go". Chain brake was on.:monkey: That's not the half of it though. When the brake kicked on, he proceded too "tune" the saw because he thought it just didn't have enough power too spin the chain. Sooooooo, as you can imagine, the clutch was blue from heat and the saw needed retuning. He knows what a chain break is now though! :clap: :cheers:

Only dead or tops

I'm in the same boat. I have some wood on my property, but I'm not going to cut healthy trees just for firewood. I'll take the culls and deads. I also work as a logger so I get some there too( when I leave myself some ;-) but honestly, I'm on the lookout for a woodlot fairly close by. If I could swing that I'd be set for several years. :cheers:

I'm with you. I have not cut a live tree in years. No need to. Around here I have tons and tons of dead Elm and now the Ash. Why cut a live tree?

Latest posts

Back