The first hit...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where to hit the maul for an easy split into halves

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted 1, but it is probably in between 1 & 2.

I plant the axe head (I do not use a maul) just far enough in to put the near side of the blade at the edge of the round.

If I ever use 3 it is because the rounds are small and that's all there is room for. I do not use 3 for the *larger rounds as I feel it would be too easy for the handle to get broken by hitting the edge of the round.

* keep in mind that my definition of large is much different that most.

3 The type of wood makes a huge difference. Ok, I was younger then, but I remember a big 3' beech tree, maybe 16''-18'' lengths. I was consistently quartering it with 3 swings of an ax. Nicest stuff to split I ever saw.

There are a lot of variables on this one, everyone is talking about knots and things of that nature.

I have found that a zone 1 or 2 helps break the surface tension of the round. That is what will cause the great break. Oak I have found is actually easier to split on the zone 1 with my maul. Not fortunate enough to have a log splitter.

I have also found that splitting any knot is possible. Just make sure that you are going with the knot, not bottle necking it down into the base. I have split many a crotch of the tree going bottom up. My father was quite impressed. (Not a massive guy, but 6 ft 220 lbs, I can swing a maul with the best of them.)

I do the first part of lining up the red oak logs, but I'm going to try the ol' golf swing when they're on their sides. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

Must be a pensyltucky thing. I have been doin that for about 10 years. Ticks my ol man off, says it's unsafe. If all is clear, i don't see a problem.

I do the first part of lining up the red oak logs, but I'm going to try the ol' golf swing when they're on their sides. Thanks for the tip! :cheers:

Must be a pensyltucky thing. I have been doin that for about 10 years. Ticks my ol man off, says it's unsafe. If all is clear, i don't see a problem.

We do that in Wisconsin too!! If I have the kids helping I make them stand them all back up again. Rule number 1 when they help pile- if ya can't pick it up and pile it,stand it up and I'll split it again!

Back