The Fly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Gardner

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone climbed with the new rope from New England Ropes called The Fly? It is a 11mm Kermantle that can be spliced. I just seen the add in the November TCI mag. Sounds like a great rope but I would like the imput from someone that has used it.

Mark Chisholm was using it at the ITCC this summer. It is very flexible, and felt kind of soft to me, but I didn't get to climb on it. It has a 24 strand sheath, and is a true 1/2 inch, so smaller than most arborist line. Likely it is no more static than our current lines, which have little stretch as it is. Personally I like the larger size of Blue/Gold Streak, for grip, etc.

The NE rep showed me the new 12 strand with a core, that is also advertised in this month's TCI. Looked real nice.. he said it would be close to the current low price of their Treeline, which I prefer to Arborplex. The new stuff is stiffer than Treeline, but much softer than Arborplex. so I'm sure I will want some for cheap lowering line. Got lots of that stuff now, tho, old lifelines, etc, plus other good 1/2 inch lowering lines.

I climbed on the fly at TCI and it has alot less stretch than blue streak and hardly any milking like blue streak. The splice looks alittle funny compared to others. I should be getting some soon. the new rope they are going to make that is 12strand seems to be a real nice rope. I am trying out the new double braid ropes they are making. let you guys know how they do.

Originally posted by r/ctree
I climbed on the fly at TCI and it has alot less stretch than blue streak and hardly any milking like blue streak. The splice looks alittle funny compared to others. I should be getting some soon. the new rope they are going to make that is 12strand seems to be a real nice rope. I am trying out the new double braid ropes they are making. let you guys know how they do.

How is the rope constructed and how is the splice made?

I've been using Fly for a few weeks now and love it! Very light and compact. 120' of Fly is the same bulk as 80' of XTC. Haven't weighed both ropes but the Fly weighed 5.5# for 120'.

Fly is a semi-static line that has the same strength and strtech as KMIII static line from NE Ropes. The rope has a 24 strand sheath and parallel core construction. The splice is the same as Sta Set X. Go to the New England splicing page to see. The rope comes factory spliced with shrink wrap over the splice for protection.

The hand of the rope is much softer and limper than other arbo ropes. So far, I don't see that ti picks though. When I looked at Mark's rope at TCI I couldn't see any pics. I think he's been using the rope since mid-July.

With the introduction of Fly we have entered the third era of climbing ropes. Natural fibers, followed by the introduction of ArborPlex and now Fly. We finally have a rope that is true to it's stated size. There aren't many arbo ropes that are even half inch ropes. Fly will work better with the climbing tools that we have available.

If anyone buys the Fly rope and doesn't like it, get hold of me, I might be interested in buying it from you.

Tom

Where might one find this animal?? Did not find it at neropes.com

Is the 'fly' rope suitable for using with the lockJack, ascenders and decenders?

I saw this rope in Seattle but was told the splice had to be made at the factory. Good to hear it can be done at home.
frans

One of the main design criterai that Howard Wright from New England Rope started with was to make the rope fit climbing gear. Since most climbing ropes in other vertical professions are 11 mm that was wear the rope was headed. Fly will work BETTER with ascenders and descenders than arbo rope.

The first tree I had to work in after I got my Fly was a silver maple takedown. I was escited to put the rope thorugh it's paaces since I would have a lot of yo yo climbing to set tip ties and butt cuts. When I got to my tie in point I set my false crotch, a Rope Guide, and threaded the Fly through the rig and then through the Lock Jack. I always have a lanyard attached and securing my weight when I tie into my climbing system. As I slacked off the lanyard onto the climbing line it slipped a little. I bent the LJ but it still slipped. DUH! The LJ is made for half inch rope not 11 mm. I couldn't use the Fly with the LJ. I had to change ropes.

I've been using different friction hitches to see which cord and hitch will work the best. So far, I've found that the Distel works better than the Schwabisch.

Tom

I have the fly and I use the v.t. With a smaller rope I thought I might have to shorten my prussik but it grabs and releases just fine, this rope rocks if you do not mind grabing a smaller rope.

Thanks for the corrections, Tom, Mike, etc. I know 11 mm is 7/16th or so, I just thought the "Fly" was a bit bigger.

I'm sure I'll want to try some, but mostly I like the larger sized lines for hand over handing etc.

Be sure to contact NE Ropes before splicing to confirm the correct splice.

This is the list of dealers from the NE Ropes site:
Aerial Equipment
American Arborist
Bishop Co.
Bartlett MFG
Droege Equipment
Forestry Suppliers
Karl Kuemmerling
MidWest Arborist Supply
Northeastern Arborist

TJK,

What cord and diameter are you using for your VT?

Tom

Last edited:
Just ordered a 120' hank of 'fly' from Bishop.
It is back ordered at this time.
they estimate 2 weeks for delivery.
frans

Fly Splice

Hello Splicers!
I watched a guy from NE Ropes Splice the Fly and it is true that it is similar to the StaSet X splice. However, there are some funky steps that are added and if you just follow the SSX directions from NE Ropes' website, you will not create an adequate splice. Because this is a new rope, it is ESSENTIAL that you get complete and accurate directions from only the manufacturer. Anything else is just a compromise....a guess. Along with that, you are only guessing at the risks you are taking.

This is some fun rope! Have fun, bury deep, taper long and splice safe!

love
nick

Latest posts

Back