The GOL Video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 considering what the class was suppose to learn.
as pointed out saw had full wrap. use it.

try that move with bigger saw and longer bar . . hickory

I've heard that before. Don't think that thought holds much water, IMO. That's what a wedge is for.

I like back barring when flush cutting small stumps as it does pack chips in the kerf. Beyond that it is just another tool for the box esp with small trees and small saws when I want to go fast. Having a push back from top barring with a big saw hurts like heck.

Hokay guys, I will say it is not a course for production cutting. It is not a course for making one an expert.
It is a good safety lesson on cutting and saws for beginners. A good base to start from. Much better than my experience of "Here's the saw. Don't hurt yourself."

I do not know the ways of falling. He made a point of showing (he cut the top off a stump) that if you use the top of the bar, your chips pack into the kerf and help to keep it open. Like I said, I don't know enough to judge anybody on things like that. Maybe it is just another trick for the bag?

Now I must go do something I know about--gather huckleberries.

I have always wondered about that. It may provide some support, but I have had plenty sit backs to prove that the chips don't do ****. . .

His first name is Ken. He is from the nort part of Wisconsin but not the nort part I lived at.

Yep. He's a good ole old time logger from Wisconsin. He still does a little manual logging, although machines have taken over the north woods. I spent a full day cutting with him in central Wisconsin, he's a great guy.

especally a big geardrive, it don't stop.:msp_ohmy:

Thankfully I have almost no time on gear drive saws, though I do want an 090G Super for a 60" bar I have. I have had the 090 push back a time or two but nothing really memorable. Both the 394 and the 660 have pushed me hard a few times when the bucking cut closed. It has always been my fault for not pulling the saw out fast enough or not watching the kerf closely. That rear handle hurts!

Yep. He's a good ole old time logger from Wisconsin. He still does a little manual logging, although machines have taken over the north woods. I spent a full day cutting with him in central Wisconsin, he's a great guy.

Yes, you could tell he'd been around a while. He is definitely comfie running a saw. Hope he survived the bad oak job. That sounded like the cut and run like hell method would be used.

I totally forgot!!! I should have thrown rocks at my tree to make it go over!

Last edited:
Same here. Looks like the hinge was clipped on outside sapwood and had the center gutted out - Poked, as it were.

Should have Looked Up more often, imo.

I've heard a lot of this "GOL guys don't look up enough". A look to evaluate before commencing on the procedure, and a look to double check, and to double check the escape route before the release, is enough. Cause a huge point of the technique is that nothing is moving during the entire cut. Nothing.

Like slowP said, this is a basic course to keep people safe. I'd way raher people cut this way than some of the #### I swing with.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back