The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Paul:

Hello Paul: Your saws, as you know have been done for awhile. Would be glad to show you the rest of the collection. You take care. Lewis Brander.

Lewis I have a top cover that has pioneer cast into it it came without a decal if you pay shipping you can have it

Top Cover:

Hello MacDaddy. Thanks for the offer. My top cover is in good shape, no corrosion and has all the original paint, just the decal is missing that says Pioneer 650. I have a decal/emblem coming to install on the cover. I would have ansured sooner, but the cable modem was down. Thanks for the offer. All I need for the saw now is a clutch drum/sprocket and chain. She has a .404" pitch, 7 tooth clutch, but haven't as yet measured the shaft or bearing size. Chain gauge is .050" and usually get my chains from Jeff. I haven't as yet looked for a clutch for it. Any suggestions. Thanks and take care. Lewis

Top cover decal:

Well, now have the top cover decal (Thanks to Mike)and the saw is complete. Still will eventually have to get a clutch sprocket and chain, but for now she's pretty well done. Here's a couple more pics. Lewis Brander.
Pioneer650decal.jpg

Pioneer650leftside.jpg

Pioneer650rightside.jpg

Lewis I will be going to Jokers real soon and give you the rest I have of parts here ok.

Nice pictures Lewis , you do the chainsaw world alot of good cause alot of people have never seen some of those saws and it is nice to see them so sweet

Hello Ed.

Hello Ed. Glad you liked the pics. I took a bunch the other day and have them on Photobucket, but some look like they are a bit dark, so I'll retake them again. I'll be sure to post them in this thread once I'm satisfied, if that's all right with you. I'll be looking forward to getting those parts for the Montomery Wards saw. Thanks. Lewis.

Lewis you have free to do what you want but you knew that , just no nude pictures of yourself ok. It is hard enough for us younger guys to get the ladies on here and we donot need the competion from the better looking guys that are just a couple years older than us

Pictures:

Hello Ed. Don't worry, NO nude pics. Deer hunting season is approaching ( not that I hunt anymore) and I wouldn't want to steal all those Mahoganey ridge runners form anyone. I'll just post pics of the saws. Thanks and you take care. Lewis.

Well, here are some Pics:

Hello to everyone. Here are some pics of the collection as it stands today. Sorry, but NO nude pics, wouldn't want to ruin anyone elses chances with the ladies up on Mahogany ridge.
I'm starting with the oldest saws first and working up to the newer saws in the collecton. First pics are of the 1950 Disston, DO-101 saw. The next saw would be the 1951 Disston DA-211, but have posted pics of the saw earlier in the thread, so will skip to the PM Rocket I have.
DisstonDO-101rightside.jpg

DisstonDO-101leftside.jpg

DisstonDO-101Bladedecal.jpg

Next pics:

The next pics are of the PM Rocket, K-1 series saw made in 1953. I ran the Disston, D0-101 and PM Rocket at the GTG in March at Russ's home.
PMRocketK-1seriesleftside.jpg

PMRocketK-1seriesrightside.jpg

PMRockettag.jpg

Lewis, those are some fine looking saws. Not only do you have the mechanical skills to get them running, but also the patience and talent to make them look like new. Thanks for sharing.

Aw ra best...Chris J.

Last edited:
2nd Homelite 5-20

This saw has been restored to running condition, fuel system cleaned, carburetor rebuilt and the saw cleaned, but she hasn't been painted as yet. Still need the cover to the left of the carburetor. Otherwise she's complete. Edited 2/1/06. The saw is now complete, finally got the Carb shield I needed for her, part # 55104. Lewis.
2ndHomelite5-20leftside.jpg

2ndHomelite5-20rightside.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply:

Thanks for the reply, Knot Whole. I enjoy tinkering with the old saws, bringing them back to life and making them look as good as they can be. Maybe not perfect, but either am I. OK, talk later. More pics to post. Take care. Lewis.

Strunk, Speed Demon Special:

Next is my Strunk, Speed Demon Special made in 1955. This saw has also been restored to running condition, but hasn't been painted. I hope to recreate the white lettering by making a stensil and painting the white letters back on the saw over the winter.
StrunkSpeedDemonSpecialleftfront.jpg

StrunkSpeedDemondSpecialrightside.jpg

1956, David Bradley, 917.60003 saw:

This David Bradley was set up, rings stuck to the piston, fuel lines and filter rotted and the fuel tank and carb were full of varnish. Took a week to clean the varnish from the fuel system and rebuild the carb. I freed up the piston and rings and she has been restored to running conditon, primed and painted. Lewis.
DavidBradley917.jpg

Last edited:
Wright Reciprocating saw:

This is my Wright Reciprocating saw, I believe a GS 2520 made in 1958. I've been told it's called a Super Reble. It's missing the toothed cutting blade, but know where I can get one. She has been restored to running condition and will be painted this winter.
Wrightsawleftside.jpg

WrightSawrightside.jpg

Bolens saw:

This is my Bolens model 3900-01, made 1958. This saw has been restored to running conditon and just parts of the saw painted. I wanted to keep the original decals, so I didn't try to paint the whole saw. She is complete and a pretty good runner.
Bolens3900-01righeside.jpg

Bolenstag.jpg

McCulloch 1-40:

This is my McCulloch 1-40 made in 1959. She is complete, except chain. She is not a runner (needs rings and crank seals). This saw has no oil tank. The chain was lubricated by mixing extra oil in the gas. As the engine ran, some of the extra oil from the fuel/mix would puddle in the bottom of the crankcase and was used to lubricate the chain, as it passed a one way valve from the crankcase to the chain. Boy, would the EAP guys love this saw today and what about the sparks you see flying from the bar and chain. Talk about a fire hazzard.
McCulloch1-40leftside.jpg

McCulloch1-40rightside.jpg

Last edited:
Back