The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan 3400 AV:

This is my first saw. Introduced in 1979. I actually won this saw in 1982. It's toally original down to the spark plug. The chain has only been touched up by hand about 5 times. I did do a muffler mod on the saw. Removed the screen and drilled some holes in the front of the muffler to open it up to 80% of the exhaust port area. Made it a completely different running saw. Lewis.
Poulan3400CVleftside.jpg

Poulan3400CVrightside.jpg

Poulan3400CVwithcase.jpg

Last edited:
Lancaster Six-55 and Mongomery Wards saws:

I posted pics earlier of the Lancaster Six-55. That saw is complete, but has a home made chain side cover and needs knobs for the choke rod and off/on switch. The old roller nose bar, clutch and chain also need replacement, but sometime at a later date if the parts can be found. I might be able to save the bar.

The Mongomery Wards saw is a model D55-D. I believe it was made by Clinton, patterened after the D-55 Handyman. She's a runner and I hopefully will have the parts to complete the saw soon and will then paint her up this winter. Lewis.
MontgomeryWardD55-Dleftside.jpg

MontgomeryWardD55-Drightside.jpg

The collection:

Well, for now that's about it. I posted pics of the Disston, DA-211, Lancaster Six-55 and the Pioneer 650 earlier. The only other thing I have is an old Homelite Generator model 24A115-2. She is complete and after doing some carb repairs on the old Homelite carb, making a carb mounting gasket, replacing the hose between the carb and fuel tank and some cleaning of the gas tank, she started right up and has ran ever since. The brushes and commutator look almost new and she generates electricity at 115 volts and 26.7 amps (Watts = volts X amps, which means she's a 3070 watt generator). Ha, wouldn't ask it to do much more than to run my fridge, a couple lights and my gas furnace. Everyone take care. Lewis. Anyone know where I can get some old 2 prong twist lock plugs? A couple rated at 15 amps and one for 50 amps. Remember seeing them as a kid, but haven't seen any laying around in years.
HomeliteGeneratorModel24A115-2pic1.jpg

HomeliteGeneratorLeftsideview.jpg

HomeliteGeneratorRightsideview.jpg

Last edited:
Cool Stuff:

Hello MacDaddy. Love the avitar. Well, that's about it for the saws I have. Hoping to get more, but money is tight right now. At least not spending any, till we see what happens with gas prices along with prices for winter fuel. Looks like everythng will eventually go up. I do have a couple leads on 2 more saws and am waiting to see what happens with them. This digital camera, I received, sure makes posting pics a breeze. Juat got to remember not to get too far away from what I'm taking a pic of and read more on the different flash modes. Also tried to take some close up pics, but looks like I was too close, so will have to check to see just how close I can get to an object. OK, talk later. You take care. Lewis Brander.

Disston 9/16" chain:

Hello to all. I know the pic isn't that clear, but on page 6 under the Disston pics, I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the chain. I used a 1/4" file to sharpen the chain and cleaned out the area between the raker and the rest of the tooth. I haven't cut anything with it since the last GTG, but was thinking the chain should perform a bit better. Any comments? I don't pretend to be a chain expert. Lewis.

Eaton saw:

Hello John. Will be looking forward to see the Eaton saw. I've seen pics of them, but can't say I've ever seen one run. I'll be bringing 6 to 8 old saws also and hope to demonstrate them making some cuts also. As far as I know I'll still be there. My brother is doing the driving this time. See you at the GTG. Take care. Lewis.

Lewis, check out this Mall 12A. I kid you not, when I put fuel in it after sitting dry for two years it started up on the first pull! I'll bring it to the GTG as well.
John

Looking good John.

Hey John, she's looking and sounding good. Have been watching some Titans and Malls on ebay, but haven't bid on any of them. So far just playing with the saws I have. Also trying to get my pennies saved up for a Disston, KB7-AY saw a fellow has in SC. Hopefully we can get some video of all the old saws in action. Can you post a pic of the Eaton saw? Lewis.

Other saw:

Hello John. Good to see you're bringing some other saws. Maybe I'll be going home with a saw more than I came with. Maybe!! Take care. Lewis.

Saw:

Well fellas, these are the saws I'm planning to bring to the GTG. The Disston D0-101 and DA-211, Homelite 5-20, David Bradley, Pioneer 650 and Mono 85. Also will be bringing Paul's McCulloch 1-42 and Wright B-520. Tinkered with a couple yesterday and a couple more today, they should be ready to demonstrate. Just got the Disston D0-101 to check over to make sure there's no new problems develooped. Will call my brother tonight to make sure his plans havn't changed, other than that hope to be at the GTG. Take care. Lewis.

Lewis Brander once again amazed us with his incredible restoration work on a huge two man Disston.
Here's Lewis at the helm with his brother and great photographer as the stoker.
John
DSC_0262copy.jpg

Thanks John.

Thanks John for posting that great pic. I was hoping you got a shot of the DA-211 in operation. Much appreciated. Lewis.

some more of his fantastic restorations.........it was great to see those old saw's and watch lewis start them on the first pull.

First pull:

I enjoyed displaying a few of th saws and starting them for all to see. As far as first pull, they were all primed by pulling them over, with choke on, switch off. Then they were started with the switch on, usually the first or second pull after that. The old Solo Rex I find starts much easier by priming(3 or 4 pulls with the switch off), then starting with the throttle not set for fast idle. Each of the saws have there own quirks in starting and running, but are a joy to see and hear. Glad everyone enjoyed them. I'll have another saw resstored for next year. Just won a Mall 1MG off ebay from Angola, NY., so will restore that this winter along with a Homelite 17L. Will have to get my brother here,so he can see these great pics. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Last edited:
Hello John.

Hi John. Thanks for posting the pictures. Your camera is sure a great camera. I took a bunch of pics, but they don't compair to yours. Thanks again and you take care. Lewis.

In that picture with Lewis and his brother using the two-man saw, they tried to do an upcut but the gigantic chain and huge torque just grabbed the log and lifted the entire cutting stand. The stand had a couple big stumps holding it down and I think if Lewis didn't let off the throttle the stand would've been pushed towards his brother and/or Lewis would've been knocked backwards. Like Art Martin said, many a man has been knocked off a spring board from saws like that.

Latest posts

Back