The Lewis Brander Collection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3/4" pitch chain.

Hi Bob, your right there. That was the first time I have used a 2 man saw and was surpised by the way the chain grabbed the wood and the torque of the saw. I tried at firsst to keep the saw off the wood to not ruin the paint job, but the chain soon pulled the gearbox to the wood on the down cut. I questioned doing the up cut, so was a bit ready for it. When my brother brought the end of the bar up, my finger was already letting off the throttle as the saw was pushing back towards me. One thing I learned was to have a lot or respect for that old saw in a hurry. I can't imagine being up in the air like Art Martin was in those pics and cutting those trees. This saw only has a 3' bar and that will throw you. I could almost imagine what a 7' bar or longer would do, to throw a person off his perch. The 3/4" chain was pretty aggressive in the red pine, so hopefully it'll not be so aggresive in say some maple. One thing to learn is, if you're not familiar with the equipment, use lots of common sence and caution. All turned out OK, noone was hurt and no damage done to the saws and still had lots of fun. Talk later. Lewis.

Last edited:
Another saw:

Well, won a Mall 1MG off ebay and finally got her. Cleaned the tank and carb and she fired right up. She sure doesn't like to be choked very much, so I found out, but she now idles smoothly, accelerates just fine and 4 cycles a bit at WOT. Today I shortened the old Mall chain and did some more cleaning. Also installed a ball check valve and spring in the sprocket drive shaft that was missing. Will have to repair the side bar cover and build up the area at the bottom of the gearbox that sits on the ground, but no biggie. Hope to run her a bit, do a final cleaning and paint her this winter. Take care. Lewis.
Mallpic1.jpg

Mallpic2.jpg

Mallpic3.jpg

Picture:

Hello John. Don't remember that one being taken. Ha, finally got a pic with me wearing the ear portection and I wasn't using any saws. Seems that when I was using a saw I wasn't wearing it. Gues I was just watching what was going on. Thanks and take care. Lewis.

help!

i need parts for a david bradley 360 . who is the guy in the pics from new york? he might have parts and he's close.

he is Lewis, I am sure if he doesnot have the parts he knows where to get them

David Bradley Parts:

Hello Jay92974. I sent you an email. You can send me a reply to the email address listed in the email I sent. By the way welcome to the site. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Mall 1MG Painted.

Well, finally got the Mall 1MG painted. Not looking too bad, compaired to what she looked like in the last pics. She's a runner, but did some minor repairs and now she's painted. Here's some pics. Take care. Lewis.
PaintedMallPhotos001.jpg

PaintedMallPhotos002.jpg

PaintedMallPhotos005.jpg

PaintedMallPhotos006.jpg

Hello Ed.

Glad you like the way she looks. Took 5 days to completely clean, do some minor repairs, prime and repaint her. The saw started and ran, but the magneto timing was way off. It was on about the 15 degree mark instead of the 30 she calls for. I reset her, but haven't ran her as yet, still waiting for the paint to cure a bit before doing anything with it. Also had to make new parts for the chain oiler adjuster that were missing and make a couple other parts. Will fire her up and see if everything works as planned. She didn't have any ID tags on the engine or gearbox, so will make decals of them from some pics I have and put them on her to complete the restoration. You take care. Lewis.

She's a Runner:

Well, she's a runner and sound great. Had some problems with the Magneto, but got them fixed. Had to reseal the cracks in the outside casing of the coil. She even starts alot better with the timing set at 30 degrees. Repaired the mag, fueled her up and she started on the 2nd pull. OK, everyone take care. Lewis.

Music to my ears:

Hello Ed. When I got the mag to work and she fireed up, it was music to my ears. It also made my day, was considering looking for a place to rewind the coil or possibly geta coil through Grubb's catalog at oldmercs.com . But gave it one more try and all turned out OK. Take care. Lewis.

PS. Did you ever come across the sheet metal spark plug cover and screen for the rewind, for the Montgonery Wards/Clinton, D-50 Handy saw I got a while back? Just curious. The power head is complet otherwise and hoping to paint her up shortly.

I have found nothing more but will have to do a real clean around here soon so if anything is here it will show up. I will let you know ok.

McCulloch 250 repainted.

Here's a couple pics of a 250 McCulloch I just finished painting. Finally got a bar and chain for her to complete the restoration. She also runs as good as she looks. Take care. Lewis.
McCulloch250Repainted006.jpg

McCulloch250Repainted009.jpg

McCulloch Paint:

Hello Bob. Don't know what's going on, but this is the third attemp to respond to your reply. Hopefully it will go through. The paint I used is the closest thing I can find locally in spray cans. It's Krylon 1806 Sunset Yellow Gloss. The original paint looked a bit darker, but once I started cleaning her up the paint brightened up a bit.

I also have some prospects on some other saws and will post pics once I have them in hand. Everyone take care. Lewis.

Homelite 17L:

Well, got the basket case Homelite 17L, I got at the Nov. 5th GTG cleaned up, together and running by priming the carb. Still looking for a cylinder cover and will rebuild the old carb next. The exhaust port is collasped a bit and wil try to straighten it up. Just hope the alumimum doesn't crack or break. Will see what happens. Can't believe the saw had a 22" bar on it for a 4.32 cu in saw, good thing she's a gear drive. Got a McCulloch 4-30 on its way from VA. Will need some work, but is complete, except 1/2" chain. Also waiting on word on a Mac 35 and a Homelite Wiz. Also talked to an old fellow on the phone who has 7 old homelites, so waiting to go see them, once the weather changes and he can get to his shed. Not too much else going on, just trying to get rid of a bad cold, flue or what ever, It's been hanging on for about 3 weeks, but is getting better. Will have to break out the bottle of Apricot Brandy and drown the sucker. OK, talk later. Lewis.

McCulloch 4-30:

The McCulloch 4-30 arrived. She's fairly complete, but needs the cylinder top cover with rubber sparkplug cover. The fuel system will need all new homemade diaphragms for fuel pump and carb and fuel lines repalced. She came with an 18" bar, no chain, but put a 25" bar and 1/2" Mac chain, I had on her to take these pics. Looks like I'll be busy making diaphragms and getting her up and running. If someone should know or have any fuel system information or specs I wuld like to hear from you. Especially if you can tell me the initial carb setting for this saw. I have never worked on this style saw and haven't seen one since I was a kid. So any info would be helpfull. Thanks. Here are some picks. Lewis.
McCullochmodel4-30001.jpg

McCullochmodel4-30002.jpg

McCullochmodel4-30003.jpg

McCullochmodel4-30004.jpg

Latest posts

Back