The most popular saw of all time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
popular?

Me starts to think about what "popular" really means here. Most sold over its production lifespan? Produced over the longest period of time? Design most copied and emulated by other manufacturers? Most liked (meaning I bought one, wore it out and liked it so much I bought another and so did anyone else who had borrowed it before it wore out)? Has more posts on AS talking about it? Brings highest bids at auctions (popular among collectors)? Has the most hits on Google? Most likely to end up under a Christmas tree as a gift? Would bring the most joy if it ended up under a Christmas tree as a gift?..... I'm sure there's plenty more interpretations one could envision given enough time and beer.

Taking a sweep of all of these and making my guess, I'd vote for the Homelite XL-12 series also, but if I was told the answer really is a Wild Thing, I wouldn't be a bit surprized.

Dan

better data

We need a spot on the emergency room form for what chain saw were you running.
With over 40,000 injuries a year in the US this would give us good data here.

This popularity question is not as easy as it looks.

It’s probably not a larger current saw like the 046.

It probably is homeowner sized, if in the US.

If it is a current saw it is whatever is selling the best in the post hurricane market. (Stihl plans for 2 major hurricanes a year).

Worldwide; did Homelite and Mac sell as well as Stihl in the same time frame?

It might be a PNW saw but only because we don't take very good care of our equipment. Stihl claims that professionals in Europe expect and get 15 years per saw while in the NW we've taken baby steps and moved from 2 years to 3. (It's a PNW thing - beating up equipment and then blaming it on the terrain/trees.)

Then again, from some of the photos I've seen, third world cutting technique that treats cutters as disposable can't do much for saws either. But how many saws can they afford?

Most popular saw...I read this as meaning the most sold, my answer would have to be the WILD THING...you make my heart sing...Wild Thing!

Nope you all are mistaken. To my knowledge the Dolmar PS 7900 is the most popular saw of all time.
I don't think Dolmar has produced and sold as many 7900's as Homelite has the XL 12. Maybe in 30 years. I have not heard any complaints on the 7900's so in time who knows. Maybe every home owner out there will have one to do a couple trim jobs year with.

Last edited:
Hmmm I would say in North america it might be a small Mac. But would put the Wildthing a close second. They are everywhere in the big box stores and that is were most saws are sold! I would take my black and silver Poulan 2550 over a Wildthing any day same Motor but the 2550 has anti vibe and is as smooth as any Husky in the same class of saw.

Latest posts

Back