The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple engine specs are in. Compression is 161 PSI on it's second tank of fuel. Squish is a HUGE .040"+. It doesn't measure on my solder. That just means more easy gains:)

Brad, that sounds like real nice compression for .040 plus. Do you have any feel for stock 346 v stock 261? Watching the vids I was noticing that it looks like it has some torque, or is some of that from the new AV system? I have a 362 and it felt really strange for a while and has some of the same nose rearing when holding it out and and goosing it.

As far as the slow cutting I thought the first vid you shot, the day you got it, it looked slow, but when you where cutting against the 346 I thought it picked up considerable speed. That was just my eye and guessing in an unknown log, etc, etc...

Shayne

do you have basic timing numbers yet Brad? Just curious how low that exhasut must be to get that compression with huge squish

I haven't gotten that far yet. I spent most of the evening getting the Oak cants made so that I could get the baseline cut times. Now the fun begins:) It's already obvious that I'll be running gasketless, but I may have to go even farther to get the squish I want. I'll get the port timing before removing the gasket though.

I'm glad you said that. I failed to mention in the MM post, but throttle response really responed favorably with just the muffler mod. Porting always seems to enhance it even farther.

Some saws seem to gain TONS of response and others not so much. My 460 is the absolute snappiest saw I've ran, but my 361 with a more aggressive port job and tighter squish isn't a whole lot different than it was stock. I'm going to do my 357 soon I';m curious how the stuffers will affect things

Got to love it:) Makes for easy gains for the modder.

That's kinda generous to simply be production tolerences no?

Any chance the engineer types intended the matter to offset something else?

Emissions maybe?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Brad, that sounds like real nice compression for .040 plus. Do you have any feel for stock 346 v stock 261? Watching the vids I was noticing that it looks like it has some torque...

I don't think a 346 has what this saw does, but we'll find out shortly. I should have a brand new one here in a day or two. Yes, this little thing has some serious torque for it's size! Very impressive indeed. I have no doubts it'll handle a 20" B&C quite well.

Man, has everyone gotten at each other's throats!

Even Dinger? I have never seen you go off the edge like this. :biggrinbounce2:

I think the suspense is getting to us all. We will see soon enough who the king is. I know one thing though, the 346 is a badazz. If the 261 ends up being faster, I will have to have one, as I had been debating a 346 already.

I see Stihlsluts bragging, and Husky hoes whining all through this thread. The truth of the matter is, this saw is going to hold it's own in the 50cc class. The 346 is still going to be the same ole badboy it is now. Why is everybody making an issue over half a pound? We should all be happy that we have two good 50cc saws now, as the 260 really is'nt too much of a saw IMO.

From the guy to is thought to be a Stihlhead, but is truly just a Sawhead! :hmm3grin2orange:

Zombiechopper: I agree on the tags being funny. That is hilarious! Curb stomps? Rosie O'Donnel? Rue Paul? WTF? :help::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
You're right.
It's already heavier and 30% slower than a ported 346.

Either Brad is a genious and is getting huge gains out of a 50cc saw, or your new morsel is a fat, slow turd, replacing a light slow terd

Dingeryote

Ummm...my 346NE, the first one that tree_slinger ported, was, according to him, 54% faster after he ported it......

Two years later, it's still an awesome saw....a bit faster than my ehp 5100, which was the first or second 5100 that was ever ported, I think.

Man, has everyone gotten at each other's throats!

Even Dinger? I have never seen you go off the edge like this. :biggrinbounce2:

I think the suspense is getting to us all. We will see soon enough who the king is. I know one thing though, the 346 is a badazz. If the 261 ends up being faster, I will have to have one, as I had been debating a 346 already.

I see Stihlsluts bragging, and Husky hoes whining all through this thread. The truth of the matter is, this saw is going to hold it's own in the 50cc class. The 346 is still going to be the same ole badboy it is now. Why is everybody making an issue over half a pound? We should all be happy that we have two good 50cc saws now, as the 260 really is'nt too much of a saw IMO.

From the guy to is thought to be a Stihlhead, but is truly just a Sawhead! :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL!!!:agree2:

Just firing back. Our little 250 is kinda circling the drain and we will be needing another little saw around here to beat on.

The weight issue is a dissapointment and some thin skinned Koolaid guzzlers took offense to simple objectivity.

LOL!!
I'm hoping the 261 works out so Stihl finally has a decent 50cc saw in thier line up. I like options more than I like any corporation.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The weight issue is a dissapointment

To you and Troll. Read the first few posts where Brad, Andre and Nik said the 261 felt lighter than the 346. Not so much dissapointment now eh? If you can't even tell 9.6 ounces of difference, there isn't an arguement. Is it that hard to accept?

btw, want a replacement for the 250? Try a 211, the 261 will be leaps and bounds over both. You have a 346 for the 50cc class.

LOL!!!:agree2:

Just firing back. Our little 250 is kinda circling the drain and we will be needing another little saw around here to beat on.

The weight issue is a dissapointment and some thin skinned Koolaid guzzlers took offense to simple objectivity.

LOL!!
I'm hoping the 261 works out so Stihl finally has a decent 50cc saw in thier line up. I like options more than I like any corporation.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I feel ya mang!

It's an unusual change from the usual "make me spit the cereal in the keyboard post I see from you. :hmm3grin2orange:

It's all good though. It is a funny thing that people can be blinded to certain brands and not even consider anything else. I do run all Stihl, but I can always appreciate a better saw from another company.

Even if it is a half ounce heavier or lighter. :notrolls2:

So when the 346NE was fatter than the 260, the 346 was stihl the better saw? Even with that sucky outboard clutch? LOL, your comments hold water like a sieve. Get off that high horse 346 and get back into the real world. I can admit when I'm wrong, can you?

You read everything like you like to read it, and disregard and "forget" anything that you don't like to comment on in your next post. It doesn't help to even tell you simple facts a hundred times - if it doesn't fit with the "picture" you want to create, you just disregard it, and act like you never read it - maybe you didn't care enough to do that? :monkey:

Regardless how bad a Stihl design is, you always will stand up and "defend" it - to most of us that means you are making a fool of yourself - but you surely don't seem to get the point! :givebeer:

I have said lots of times that Husky has several designs that I don't like - and even have got a lot of "flak" for preferring the MS361 over the 357xp - it is a great pity that Stihl didn't ever make more models like that one, as it was a really good one. They just had too wait too long, and partly over-do it when they finally did. They also are still are introducing new first generation "strato" saws, when others have that stage behind them.

I used to like Stihl as a brand, but I don't like how they have handled things since 2004 or so, it just is a major letdown!

do you realize how crazy this would all look to outsiders?

people have no idea that in some small corner of the internet a war rages on about which 50cc chain saw is better.. i guess it could be worse

You read everything like you like to read it, and disregard and "forget" anything that you don't like to comment on in your next post. It doesn't help to even tell you simple facts a hundred times - if it doesn't fit with the "picture" you want to create, you just disregard it, and act like you never read it - maybe you didn't care enough to do that? :monkey:

Regardless how bad a Stihl design is, you always will stand up and "defend" it - to most of us that means you are making a fool of yourself - but you surely don't seem to get the point! :givebeer:

I have said lots of times that Husky has several designs that I don't like - and even have got a lot of "flak" for preferring the MS361 over the 357xp - it is a great pity that Stihl didn't ever make more models like that one, as it was a really good one. They just had too wait too long, and partly over-do it when they finally did. They also are still are introducing new first generation "strato" saws, when others have that stage behind them.

I used to like Stihl as a brand, but I don't like how they have handled things since 2004 or so, it just is a major letdown!

so what are your thoughts/opinions after finally getting to run the new 261?

do you realize how crazy this would all look to outsiders?

people have no idea that in some small corner of the internet a war rages on about which 50cc chain saw is better.. i guess it could be worse

LoL! No sheit man. Millions of people are all over the web right now doing differentr things, not knowing about the chainsaw war going on here at AS.:hmm3grin2orange:

I hate that it's gotten out of hand. This is a great thread and needs to be toned down a littleIMO. Lets just sit back and watch the chainsaw battle, and drop the brand war, shall we? :notrolls2:

I don't like the 261...it starts fights.:sword: So which saw would you pick in a sword fight...or in this case, a chain-saber fight?

Last edited:
Now Troll....dont disregard the question....

I have answered that at least 3 times in this thread, and the answer still is the same - go back and read!

Actually, I find it a bit amusing that so many doesn't seem to be able to figure out how a saw will handle by the way it is built - in many cases I guess that is more about will than ability......

Last edited:
in-board, out-board clutches, 6.3893908 oz. differences, xj5000 spring mounted titanium guides. None of that matters. The fact is, this guy is out at midnight, cutting cookies with the help of a headlamp, just shows his excitement. I think it is great. I saw the video, and had a chuckle. Have fun with the new saw.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIpiD-jjvuc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gIpiD-jjvuc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/QUOTE]

I have answered that at least 3 times in this thread, and the answer still is the same - go back and read!

I cant read....:help:

Seriously though, all you folks bickering, stating "facts", arguing bout a freakin saw, sound like a bunch of kids debating on who's daddy can beat up who's daddy. This thread had great potential, now its just a big waste of bandwidth.....

Latest posts

Back