The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need a cant, and I need it now. I've got the wood, the mill, and the chainsaw. What I don't have is a mini-mill for making the vertical cuts, which cuts the slabs into square cants. I didn't want to spend the $100, and quite frankly, I don't really have the time to wait on it to be shipped. So I've make my own. I had some scrap steel laying around, and this is what I've come up with. I've got to weld the bolts on for the bottom clamp, and then grind off the heads on the back side. I may also add a handle to push on.

1082992239_yyHUJ-L.jpg

1082992360_eUtpu-M.jpg

1082992339_Z5ANk-M.jpg

1082992506_SPETu-M.jpg

1082992448_JgmV2-M.jpg

1082991919_Zmq3T-M.jpg

1082992316_HAk4V-L.jpg

price and weight make it a 70cc saw.

No, it doesn't, unless you define a class based on weight and price, or as 70-80cc.

You can of course define saw classes any way you want, but there will always be some models that doesn't seem to "fit". As an exemple, the 6400 and the 365/2165 will always be "misfits", regardless how you define the classes - unless they get their own class.

I for one think that 261 is kinda cool but looking at the vids Brad put up I doubt seriously it will outcut a 346 or 5100 stock to stock, it will indeed run alot closer than the older 260 but outdo them in the cut any or at all I don't see it in the vids. ....

I also notised the relatively slow cutting, but considering what he said about the wood, and that it was totally new, I didn't want to comment on it.

Also, I tried to be nice in this thread, because it was sort of a "celebration" of the 261 hitting the market in the US, but had to give up because of posts by others....:censored:

Regardless how it really compares, I am sure it will be a big seller, due to weight of Stihl marketing in the US! :cheers:

Brad, am thinking the bolt heads that hold the bar on are going to give problems. If the are going to be riding on the lumber.......maybe not. Flat heads counter sunk, nuts or something (tabs) a little thicker than the nuts.
I think it would take some of the wiggle room out.
But I may not be looking at the mill the way you are going to use it.

The mill looks good but I would put a push handle on it also.

attachment.php

TT

Last edited:
I need a cant, and I need it now. I've got the wood, the mill, and the chainsaw. What I don't have is a mini-mill for making the vertical cuts, which cuts the slabs into square cants. I didn't want to spend the $100, and quite frankly, I don't really have the time to wait on it to be shipped. So I've make my own. I had some scrap steel laying around, and this is what I've come up with. I've got to weld the bolts on for the bottom clamp, and then grind off the heads on the back side. I may also add a handle to push on.

Why grind off the heads of the bolts when you can use a Allen hex taper head bolt and simply counter sink it. Even if you still want to weld the bolt you could use a counter sunk bolt and weld that so that you have more surface hold on the bolt. If you have access to a TIG welder there would be no grinding.

Looks great Brad!!!

1082992239_yyHUJ-L.jpg

1082992360_eUtpu-M.jpg

1082992339_Z5ANk-M.jpg

1082992506_SPETu-M.jpg

1082992448_JgmV2-M.jpg

1082991919_Zmq3T-M.jpg

1082992316_HAk4V-L.jpg

Like Trigger,, the thing I see that will give ya a prob. is the bottom bolts..I'd go with flathead screws,,get Nik to give ya a good countersink bit and then they be outta the way...Looks like your settin it up to run on top a 2X4..Looks great Brad...
You ever get your walnut logs cut up for shelves?? I might have missed if you did on here and if you dont care if you got pics. I'd like to see em....
Your gonna have alot of fun outta that...Damn good idea..... I always enjoyed mine....No matter how long the log,,side the straight edge up and keep on millin.... Oh I have to add....
I went to the local Stihl dealer here and no they dont have the 261 in stock here yet...They havet had a chance to at least fondle one themselves...

I love my mini mill!
attachment.php

Flaws again, Sawtroll you should know better by now. No one piece of equipment, no matter who made it, will feel the same or handle the same to everyone, you know that. What feels bad in your hands may feel great in someone else's hands. ....

I partly agree, but no flaws on my side - it is just that many that are fans of German saws don't want to know or hear about such inherent differences between saw designs, as it looks like it just is an "accident" when those brands make a well-handling saw.
I am not talking about how the saws feel when blocking firewood or cutting cookies, but about how well they will handle for limbing etc in the woods, with rapid changes in cutting directions and angles + "point of aim".

:cheers:

I partly agree, but no flaws on my side - it is just that many that are fans of German saws don't want to know or hear about such inherent differences between saw designs, as it looks like it just is an "accident" when those brands make a well-handling saw.
I am not talking about how the saws feel when blocking firewood or cutting cookies, but about how well they will handle for limbing etc in the woods, with rapid changes in cutting directions and angles + "point of aim".

:cheers:

Niko, you know we like you but sometimes you sound like my old lady....nag nag, nag....;:laugh::laugh::laugh:

that saw did great in that bone hard wood....I think it was difficult to be not impressed. I was even more impressed by that Farmall H tractor though ...that thing is a real beauty.:)

Don't know about 261 but I like the way the 026/260 feels much
better than 346.

You guys talking about that H, I grew up on a C, H and M Farmall's
Looking at that H makes my butt hurt!! Dad still has the old H he bought
it in 1964. They are nice to look at but sure don't want to go back using one. :)

its amazing what 1/2 lb can do to someones opinion on something.. some of you guys need to get in shape if 1/2 pound means anything to you

We should all hope the 261 kicks the 346's butt.

It's like anything else, if saw Co. don't have good competition
it is use that loose.

If not for foreign car competition years back we would be driving
junk cars like the US was putting out in the late 70's and early 80's

TT

Niko, you know we like you but sometimes you sound like my old lady....nag nag, nag....;:laugh::laugh::laugh:

that saw did great in that bone hard wood....I think it was difficult to be not impressed. I was even more impressed by that Farmall H tractor though ...that thing is a real beauty.:)

Judging a saw based on how it cuts in an unknown log, without anything to compare to, and with unknown chain etc, is pretty hopeless.

I would not have commented on it at all, if others didn't. ;)

Judging a saw based on how it cuts in an unknown log, without anything to compare to, and with unknown chain etc, is pretty hopeless.

I would not have commented on it at all, if others didn't. ;)

LOL, kinda like commenting on the handling of a saw without ever handling it, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Back