The MS261 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's coming, it's coming, lol! You've already got the baseline cuts for the 261. The new 346 will be here tomorrow or the next day. I will make cuts with it bone stock. The muffler mod will also include an unlimited coil. I'll then port both saws and compare them again.

Oh Thank you Oh Orange Guru.:chainsawguy:

We who are not worthy salute you.:bowdown:

I've just not seen it near this accentuated this much.

They are trying to get the flow to emulate the flow from this:

attachment.php

I've always tried to be very up front and honest, giving you guys both the good and the bad. Well...my first go around at the porting was a huge disappointment. I litterally only got a 2% gain:( At least it didn't go backwards, lol. I've got it back apart and am making some pretty radical changes. I'll be back soon:chainsawguy:

Killed the thread did I, lol?

The first time in I raised the exhaust to 102° in an effort to get a couple more degrees of blowdown. I lowered the intake to 80°. I widened the transfers towards the intake, and widened the intake and exhaust to skirt max. I also widened the strato "transfers" forward. This is what only have a gain of 2%.

So, I went back in. I was originally shooting for 100° on the exhaust, so raised that a couple more degrees. That gives me blowdown of 22°. The big change was that I leveled the transfer ports, such that they all open at 122°. I'm now up to a measely 4.5% improvement.

Somewhere in this saw is a bottle neck. I removed the filter, and that made no change at all. I'm thinking it's those tiny transfer ducts, or the carb itself.

I do have one more idea to try.

BTW, I'm still running the original 7-pin rim. This saw has pleny of grunt to pull an 8-pin, but I'm trying to keep it a level playing field at this point.

Killed the thread did I, lol?

The first time in I raised the exhaust to 102° in an effort to get a couple more degrees of blowdown. I lowered the intake to 80°. I widened the transfers towards the intake, and widened the intake and exhaust to skirt max. I also widened the strato "transfers" forward. This is what only have a gain of 2%.

So, I went back in. I was originally shooting for 100° on the exhaust, so raised that a couple more degrees. That gives me blowdown of 22°. The big change was that I leveled the transfer ports, such that they all open at 122°. I'm now up to a measely 4.5% improvement.

Somewhere in this saw is a bottle neck. I removed the filter, and that made no change at all. I'm thinking it's those tiny transfer ducts, or the carb itself.

I do have one more idea to try.

BTW, I'm still running the original 7-pin rim. This saw has pleny of grunt to pull an 8-pin, but I'm trying to keep it a level playing field at this point.

No thread killer. Most don't know how to take you tearing apart a new saw.:laugh: They will get used to it.

I'm following, I'm going to put a few more tanks through mine before it gets shipped off though.:biggrinbounce2:

I don't understand the need for the split from the intake into the cylinder. I could if the carb was a 2 barrel like other strats. Have I missed something in the pictures?

That would suck if it needed a different carb to run right when ported. I can live with a muff mod though.:D

I like this idea but that split has to serve an important purpose. Maybe that is part of an EPA feature to enable it to run cleaner?

It is for pollution control. Basically it splits air fuel mixture and air mixture to different ports for scavenging leading to a cleaner running engine.
I still prefer the non-strato engines, but this is the wave of the future due to mandates by the EPA

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back