The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is a "carcinogen"?? Well, simply put... something that causes cancer in humans.
What sort of creosote is used to treat railroad ties in the United States?? Answer... coal-tar creosote.
What is coal-tar creosote?? Basically the heavier oils derived from carbonization of bituminous coal.

Is coal-tar creosote carcinogenic to humans??
  • The International Agency For Research On Cancer smeared coal-tar creosote on shaved lab rats for several weeks, eventually sores developed on the skin (none died). Based on that they determined that coal-tar creosote probably is carcinogenic to humans. WTF?? Shaved lab rats coated in creosote for weeks developed sores on the skin... what a friggin' surprise.
  • The EPA states that coal-tar creosote is a probable human carcinogen based on animal and human studies. What studies?? Well, we have the lab rats above... and a 2005 study of creosote workers that found no (none, zip, zilch, nada) evidence supporting an increased risk of cancer death.
Now... what about the smoke from burning it. Well, basically, burning coal-tar creosote is the same thing as burning coal... coal-tar creosote is coal with the lighter gases and coke removed (nothing, absolutely nothing carcinogenic is added).

So now, I just gotta' ask... if a fella' burns coal in his wood/coal fired OWB, is he being reckless??

OK, so it stinks when burned, even makes smoke... but smoke and stink, in and of itself, ain't a carcinogen... smoke is mostly carbon (particulates, not necessarily carcinogens). For the most part, carcinogens emitted by combustion are invisible and odorless to human senses.

I got news for ya'... too much of anything ain't good for ya'... I can show ya' studies that conclude having sex is probably carcinogenic to humans... even more so than burning railroad ties.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." - H.L. Mencken

Spidey, you can argue what is or isn't a carcinogen all day long but you are missing the bigger picture. Taking the position that one should be able to burn whatever they want, whenever they want, is really pointing a gun at the heads of all of us wood burners. If you or anyone else chooses to burn railroad ties, trash, carpet, tires, asphalt shingles, etc, you are helping to load the guns of the people who are against us. You are begging for more regulations which you, of all people, hate so much (& I'm with you on that). If everyone had that mentality, our days of burning wood would surely be numbered.

I believe in freedom just like you. But the fact is, we have over 7 billion people on the face of the earth right now. Can you imagine what kind of a world we would live in if only a small percentage of those people thought it was ok to burn whatever they want? I believe it's the responsibility of all of us wood burners to burn as cleanly (less particulate) as we can with whatever equipment we own. It's just common sense.

we have over 7 billion people on the face of the earth right now. Can you imagine what kind of a world we would live in if only a small percentage of those people thought it was ok to burn whatever they want?

can you imagine if almost every country except the US though it was ok to burn whatever they want????...because that's reality...

Spidey, you can argue what is or isn't a carcinogen all day long but you are missing the bigger picture. Taking the position that one should be able to burn whatever they want, whenever they want, is really pointing a gun at the heads of all of us wood burners. If you or anyone else chooses to burn railroad ties, trash, carpet, tires, asphalt shingles, etc, you are helping to load the guns of the people who are against us.

So I bury your "carcinogen" hobgoblin... and you invent a new hobgoblin??

I ain't missin' the bigger picture... you are. And I ain't never takin' the position that someone should be able to burn whatever they want, whenever they want. I've always said, not just in this thread, provided there ain't a local law or ordinance against doin' so. If it's legal... who-the-hell am I (or you) to judge the man??

If you think "the people who are against us" need help finding ammunition to load their guns... you really need to come back down to earth. Their ultimate goal is the total abolishment of all wood-fired heating appliances... period. Playin' the appeasement game with 'em will only get you a cold, hard, dry reaming in the end. The appeasement strategy does not work with those types of people... it never has... it never friggin' will‼ Exposing their lies, their invented hobgoblins, their manufactured (so-called) facts, and their underhanded tactics is the only way to win the war. Allowing them partial victories in every battle is givin' them exactly what they want... that's their friggin' strategy... that's exactly what they're counting on‼

But you go right ahead and keep lookin' at what's happenin' (not just with wood-fired appliance) through your rose-colored glasses while playin' the appeasement game.
I tossed my rose-colored glasses... I'll just punch 'em in the nose (metaphorically speaking... usually)... thank you very much.

And I ain't never takin' the position that someone should be able to burn whatever they want, whenever they want.*

Really? Aren't these your words?:

"When it comes to keepin' my family warm I'll burn WTF ever I choose... whenever I choose...
And you can choke on it for all I give sour owl crap... my family comes before you."

Just a bit more hair splittin' from this thread...
Report him for what?? Report him to who??
Are you sure they're illegal to burn in Wisconsin??
They ain't illegal to burn here...

Here, we burn all our garbage in a barrel, out in the yard (except the glass and tin)... pretty much common (and legal) practice.

There is no Federal law or regulation banning the burning of railroad ties for heating fuel...

You can pizz 'n' moan about it... but that's all ya' got, nothin' more (unless there's a local ordinance).

Does that include such things as incinerators?? And OWBs?? Often those sorts of ordinances apply only to "open" burning.
If it was in fact harming your health, and there was proof of it, and he was aware of it and continued... he would be breaking the law.

I "like" splittin' hairs...
Just sayin'.

So I bury your "carcinogen" hobgoblin... and you invent a new hobgoblin??

I ain't missin' the bigger picture... you are. And I ain't never takin' the position that someone should be able to burn whatever they want, whenever they want. I've always said, not just in this thread, provided there ain't a local law or ordinance against doin' so. If it's legal... who-the-hell am I (or you) to judge the man??

If you think "the people who are against us" need help finding ammunition to load their guns... you really need to come back down to earth. Their ultimate goal is the total abolishment of all wood-fired heating appliances... period. Playin' the appeasement game with 'em will only get you a cold, hard, dry reaming in the end. The appeasement strategy does not work with those types of people... it never has... it never friggin' will‼ Exposing their lies, their invented hobgoblins, their manufactured (so-called) facts, and their underhanded tactics is the only way to win the war. Allowing them partial victories in every battle is givin' them exactly what they want... that's their friggin' strategy... that's exactly what they're counting on‼

But you go right ahead and keep lookin' at what's happenin' (not just with wood-fired appliance) through your rose-colored glasses while playin' the appeasement game.
I tossed my rose-colored glasses... I'll just punch 'em in the nose (metaphorically speaking... usually)... thank you very much.
pazzzzzzzingngg

So if everybody's doing it we should be doing it as well? Come on Nathon, you're smarter than that.
we have over 7 billion people on the face of the earth right now. Can you imagine what kind of a world we would live in if only a small percentage of those people thought it was ok to burn whatever they want?
learn how to read!
i was just letting you know, that the "small percentage" are the "clean burning" areas... the vey very few people in this country that burn like the OP's neighbor wouldn't even come close to 1% of the total "bad burners" in the world...all the smog in LA would probably look like heaven to the people of many countries!

Now days most people are aware of the harm certain things can do to the environment. There was a time we drained oil right on the ground or spread it on the driveway. .we don't do that anymore. We never recycled anything..we do now. The only thing that has changed is we are more educated. ...well most of us.

Obviously some people have no idea whatsoever how carcinogens act and what time frame from inhalative carcinogens are typical for evolving problems. Further how and what carcinogenic testing works & means.

Further some should stop mixing different type of burning methods and the temperatures needed for complete combustion and breaking down of molecules to ensure safe burning of waste materials.

One of the best posts sofar in this discussion was from cantoo, for giving real life experience on using a OWB! :clap:

Back