The neighbors are burning railroad ties

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm.....
I did a little readin'... it does appear some concrete ties (sleepers) are used in the US, but they're more common in Europe.
I didn't know it, but concrete was used after WWII because of the limited supply of timber... not because of anything to do with environmental protection.
Seems there's both advantages and disadvantages... concrete allows heavier loads at higher speeds, but with reduced shock absorption and increased wheel noise. They're more expensive (in the US), and cause the rail bed ballast to degrade faster. I've never seen concrete railroad ties in the Midwest... but that don't necessarily mean there ain't some, somewhere here.
BNSF Mainline only has treated ties at switches and crossings ALL the rest are concrete and have been for 10 at least years. Started phasing out wood more than 20 years ago. The BNSF is NOT allowed to use the discarded concrete ties as RIP RAP and or soil erosion conservation because of the steel in them But they can "GIVE" them away if you sign a piece of paper releasing them of ALL responsibilities. You would not believe in the Baloney that goes with wood ties and power poles...

They use wood ties here, which I would think are more expensive than concrete would be since the ties have to come from the lesser 48 while concrete would be done in state.

As far as burning, if it burns and fits in the stove door, it goes in there.

Common sense goes a long way in society. Burning railroad ties is like burning tires. I suspect he has free access to them and probably thought "WTF" free heat screw the neighbors. Shows why we need the EPA.
No we still don't need the EPA ... It shows why we need local township enforcement on the select few who refuse to follow the rules of common sense . The supervisor notifies him he's being a nuisance then after a bit if it continues a notice is issued then a court date at the district justice with fines for non compliance

No we still don't need the EPA ... It shows why we need local township enforcement on the select few who refuse to follow the rules of common sense . The supervisor notifies him he's being a nuisance then after a bit if it continues a notice is issued then a court date at the district justice with fines for non compliance

....and if the local township decides that burning ties is OK?

Most people are considerate and decent but there are the small percentage(5%) I would guess that don't care about anyone else but themselves. The drunk that gets his 5th DUI, the folks that park in the handicap spots that aren't handicapped, and the neighbor that burns railroad ties in his OWB. You have to know how to deal with such people because they are out there and think they can do whatever and do not care about who they affect.

I dont live in a township so if one of those busy bodies showed up at my place trying to tell me what to do he would leave here talking to himself. I dont and have never burnt a xtie in my stove, but if i was cold and didnt have any wood and I had a pile of xties laying out back, I would make the smoke roll.

By the way, BNSF does in fact use wooden crossties, I have walked more track than most people have rode over.

I dont live in a township so if one of those busy bodies showed up at my place trying to tell me what to do he would leave here talking to himself. I dont and have never burnt a xtie in my stove, but if i was cold and didnt have any wood and I had a pile of xties laying out back, I would make the smoke roll.

By the way, BNSF does in fact use wooden crossties, I have walked more track than most people have rode over.
whoooooeeee. I agree,, but you know,, the elitist lefties of this site are having a heart pounder.....they will be coming to your house,, to tell you how you should live your life.....:dizzy::dizzy::laughing::laughing::laughing: twits..

Common sense goes a long way in society. Burning railroad ties is like burning tires. I suspect he has free access to them and probably thought "WTF" free heat screw the neighbors. Shows why we need the EPA.
I think you way over estimating the thought process of normal people. I really doubt the majority of john doe wood burners even knows what creosote is, let alone knows it is in RR ties, and phone poles...

I think you way over estimating the thought process of normal people. I really doubt the majority of john doe wood burners even knows what creosote is, let alone knows it is in RR ties, and phone poles...
so, with your knowledge,, tell all the rest on this forum,,what it is...................................................................................................

Back