The new Stihl dealer...painful experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah right,nice try!

It leaks oil, the seam on the gas tank is busted, now leaking gas, the bi-ch won't start, the bar nuts fell off on they're own, all the vib springs have broken while sitting on the table, the carb fell off in the floor, I tell ya that 372 aint much. One utter thing, gotcha sucker,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Nite yaw...

husqvarna caps have work on the same principle for a long time.with those new stihl caps,it would have been a lot of oil/gas.more like all of it.

LOL, what I find funny is I kinda agree with Kyle, the damn saw should look like new if its new, simple as that. No scratches, a new looking saw all over.

What I find odd is Kyle complaining about Ace when they offered him 10% back, he said no, they say ok, a new saw for you. I don't see the big deal in why he felt Ace was so bad. True they screwed up and scracthed his saw and then turn around and admitted it and they're gonna make it right so whats the problem, I just don't see it.

+1. . . . . mostly

I don't know if Kyle is really complaining, rather, just giving a review of dealership. OK sure, maybe some would have handled the scratch thing differently, but as a few said here, it showed a lack of attention to detail by the dealer. But, they did strive to make it right, so that's great.

What I'm surprised at, is the fact everyone failed to address the fact that they didn't demonstrate the starting and operation of the saw to the customer. Isn't this one of the things Stihl is so adamant about, the whole reason they insist on direct from the dealer sales?

Lastly, who wants to bet that the gas mix they put in it was some 4 month old 87 crud that's been sitting in the back, since they probably don't move many Stihl saws. (as evidenced by their lack of stocked equipment)

I don't know if Kyle is really complaining, rather, just giving a review of dealership. OK sure, maybe some would have handled the scratch thing differently, but as a few said here, it showed a lack of attention to detail by the dealer. But, they did strive to make it right, so that's great.

Kyle is definately complaining, and he's not an easy customer to deal with either. If the damage was so significant, it's also strange that he didn't notice it when he picked the saw up at the dealer. Anyhow, the dealer acknowledged his complaint and made a fair proposal imo. That is OK with me. I would have gladly taken the 10% but that's to each his own.

What I'm surprised at, is the fact everyone failed to address the fact that they didn't demonstrate the starting and operation of the saw to the customer. Isn't this one of the things Stihl is so adamant about, the whole reason they insist on direct from the dealer sales?

Kyle explained that he's not the regular homeowner but an experienced user. Maybe that's the impression the dealer got also ?? If he was so keen about getting a demo, he could have simply asked imo, instead of running to his computer and complain about it in a public forum. I am puzzled a bit at what point he's really trying to make.

Lastly, who wants to bet that the gas mix they put in it was some 4 month old 87 crud that's been sitting in the back, since they probably don't move many Stihl saws. (as evidenced by their lack of stocked equipment)

That's a pure speculative statement, not relevant in this discussion, and unfair.

I am not trying to defend the dealer here, but there's always two sides to a story ; since there's no defense from the other party involved, making a clear judgement is not easy.

Last edited:
Finally I see a few folks here on my side somewhat. I had to really plead my case for the new saw and the people at ACE were not easy to deal with giving me excuses why I should still take the scratched up saw. 10% wasn't enough for me to be satisfied. They were very happy to take my money with a smile but difficult to work with, thought the guy was going to slam the saw down on the counter, when I was not satisfied. Because of this I am reluctant now to go to them for service.

This will be a saw that I keep for a long time...maybe a lifetime. I own 5 acres in the middle of the corn fields. Most of my trees are hugh honey locust, hackberry and silver maple. My 056 with 32in bar wasn't big enough to make one pass through the last honey locust stump. The stump just :laugh: at the MS280 when I tried to use it before I bought the 056. I bought the 440 to speed up cutting time and to power through that 10-20in branch. Anything under 3 inches I cut with a bow saw.

On this forum I come off as a difficult customer when I'm really an easy going person who is patient/understanding. I just want a new saw for a new price not a scratch and dent.

Red, I would have been glad to pay the $117 bill for the fixed weedeater because that is fair price for the work involved. Plus I wouldn't make you deliver/pick up Sunday because I can wait. Who wants to work on a Sunday anyway besides cutting trees:biggrinbounce2:

Manual, I am a plant biotech lab tech for Pioneer. I'm not in the field side but IA corn is 103-108 day maturity. Where I live I think we have the worlds best soil. On my ground it is not uncommon to have 24 to 36 inches of black top soil. In field maybe 12 inches due to erosion. 200 bushels/acre yield is the bench mark around here.

In 2004 when my cousin and his (now) EX-wife went looking for a new vehicle after driving crap for 20 years, they came upon a NEW 2004 Monte Carlo.

They loved this particular car, black with gray leather, wood grain interior, allow wheels, it looked sharp, except it had a few tiny, almost invisible rock chips on the nose. you had to be on your knees and looking for them to find them.

Dealer offered 5K off the already knocked down MSRP. They walked away with it, happy as can be.

The nose of a car takes the most beating, just like the bottom of a saw. Its the part that sees the most action with debris.

Maybe someone needs ot invent a "saw bra" :laugh:

Where I live I think we have the worlds best soil. On my ground it is not uncommon to have 24 to 36 inches of black top soil. In field maybe 12 inches due to erosion. 200 bushels/acre yield is the bench mark around here.

Sure better than in S. Alabama/N. Florida, but I'd venture to bet that Ukraine would dog that 12" average in the fields. The richest soil I've ever seen, and all the way from Kiev along the Dnieper to the Black Sea. I heard that during WWII the Germans loaded up train cars with the soil for use closer to home. Soil there is the blackest I've ever seen. Maybe not the greatest for peanuts, but for corn, wheat and sunflowers, its hard to top it.

Last edited:
I gotta side with Kyle on this one. He did not buy a scratch-and-dent or a demo machine, so it should come to him in pristine condition. After that, it is his saw to take out and scratch as he sees fit. End of discussion.

Comp, I think all of us agree on that part. Kyle is getting a new saw.
Customer satisfied ? apparently not .
So, what do we expect more from this dealer ? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Last edited:
I gotta side with Kyle on this one. He did not buy a scratch-and-dent or a demo machine, so it should come to him in pristine condition. After that, it is his saw to take out and scratch as he sees fit. End of discussion.

Sure, but the scratches will come pretty soon anyway, the way most people handle and transport their saws........:biggrinbounce2:

....but there are exceptions, of course.

Anyway, that dealer was plain stupid - should have drop-started the saw in the first place. :blob2:

You're right...the saw Manual is talking about was engineered by quality engineers, so there's no need to add extra materials (and weight) to make-up for the engineering shortcomings. :buttkick:

Hehehehe, hey Woodie, show me where that so called saw your talking about is made. Show me some pics of the factory if you would be so kind, in return I'll show you some pics of that quailty engineering out of that place, oppppppps, already have,:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Finally I see a few folks here on my side somewhat. I had to really plead my case for the new saw and the people at ACE were not easy to deal with giving me excuses why I should still take the scratched up saw. 10% wasn't enough for me to be satisfied. They were very happy to take my money with a smile but difficult to work with, thought the guy was going to slam the saw down on the counter, when I was not satisfied. Because of this I am reluctant now to go to them for service.

This will be a saw that I keep for a long time...maybe a lifetime. I own 5 acres in the middle of the corn fields. Most of my trees are hugh honey locust, hackberry and silver maple. My 056 with 32in bar wasn't big enough to make one pass through the last honey locust stump. The stump just :laugh: at the MS280 when I tried to use it before I bought the 056. I bought the 440 to speed up cutting time and to power through that 10-20in branch. Anything under 3 inches I cut with a bow saw.

On this forum I come off as a difficult customer when I'm really an easy going person who is patient/understanding. I just want a new saw for a new price not a scratch and dent.

Red, I would have been glad to pay the $117 bill for the fixed weedeater because that is fair price for the work involved. Plus I wouldn't make you deliver/pick up Sunday because I can wait. Who wants to work on a Sunday anyway besides cutting trees:biggrinbounce2:

Manual, I am a plant biotech lab tech for Pioneer. I'm not in the field side but IA corn is 103-108 day maturity. Where I live I think we have the worlds best soil. On my ground it is not uncommon to have 24 to 36 inches of black top soil. In field maybe 12 inches due to erosion. 200 bushels/acre yield is the bench mark around here.

You dayumm old farmers are picky aren't ya,LOLOL.
Kyle if ya ever come to Virgina you stop in and I'll show ya how its done. You'll go home smiling ear to ear , just like I'll be smiling ear to ear heading to the bank.

All kidding aside you got a new saw, problem solved, case closed. Glad it worked out for ya..

I like scratched up saws, they give you that, I have actually been used look. :ices_rofl: :jester: and I have noticed the worse they look the better they run. :ices_rofl:

This sort of reminds me of a guy at work that wouldn't put his bowling bowl bag in the back of his pick up truck. I ask him one time and he stated he didn't want to scratch up the bed of the truck hauling things in it. I was floored with that DUH look I bet. :buttkick:

I understand what Kyle is saying. When I bought my saw the dealer took me out back, set the saw on the asphalt and fired it up. What bothered me wasn't the scratches it caused but that he held it wide open for 10-15 seconds, well after it had cleared out. I assume the internals were coated with enough assembly lube to protect the saw but it still kind of freaked me out. Is this the normal procedure for a brand new saw?

The nose of a car takes the most beating, just like the bottom of a saw. Its the part that sees the most action with debris.

Maybe someone needs to invent a "saw bra" :laugh:

Tommie,

How about the DemiSawBra™. Guaranteed to perk up your saw!

Joat

Klre .
we have two Stihl dealrs I will not patronize them i will ifI want to getanty thing Stihl drive a70 miles ifiaifiam headed that way to get soemthing . If I iwanted could get just a powerhead .
. Thall probably knows more about taking care of the customer as far as retail ido when it comes to working on their land . goes along ways . I
Wrote toS tihl about one who was a real PITA .
They Stihl were good and even sent me achck for the over charge .
i have since sold the MS 650 but want a power head . I kind of like them and they compliment my other big saws .
or if I can get a MS 880 and use it with my 404 gauge husky 3120 so I do not a have to get all new chains and bars too bad Stihl and Husky do not have interchangeable bars on second thought maybe be not would have even more saws . though Id love a 880 powerhead . and know if I want can get one be show all about it make sure it works .
the guy sells husky stuff too so i get a break as a long time customer .

Thall i might be visiting a pal in SC you and that MT far fom I 95 ? Iloveot check out them old huge 090s . Ill even add some PPE just for pics
Saw one on Ebay . was tempted but .. gotta pay bills .
but for the right price .I d consider it :givebeer:

Klre .
we have two Stihl dealrs I will not patronize them i will ifI want to getanty thing Stihl drive a70 miles ifiaifiam headed that way to get soemthing . If I iwanted could get just a powerhead .
. Thall probably knows more about taking care of the customer as far as retail ido when it comes to working on their land . goes along ways . I
Wrote toS tihl about one who was a real PITA .
They Stihl were good and even sent me achck for the over charge .
i have since sold the MS 650 but want a power head . I kind of like them and they compliment my other big saws .
or if I can get a MS 880 and use it with my 404 gauge husky 3120 so I do not a have to get all new chains and bars too bad Stihl and Husky do not have interchangeable bars on second thought maybe be not would have even more saws . though Id love a 880 powerhead . and know if I want can get one be show all about it make sure it works .
the guy sells husky stuff too so i get a break as a long time customer .

Thall i might be visiting a pal in SC you and that MT far fom I 95 ? Iloveot check out them old huge 090s . Ill even add some PPE just for pics
Saw one on Ebay . was tempted but .. gotta pay bills .
but for the right price .I d consider it :givebeer:

Mountainman you get on North RT95 and come on. Stay on it till to you get to Fredericksburg Va and bear off at Rt17 North to Warranton. Go till you bear off to the right on Rt29. Stay Rt29 till you see RT15 one your left. Take that and come striaght on into Leesburg. I'll be looking forward to talking saws with ya one fine day. Riverrat came by once and him and me had a good ole time. Hell he worked in the shop with me and you can too. So come on over. Be prepare for alot of kidding and playing around , everyone gets a doose of good time when they come in the door. I'll have it no other way, I call it treating people right!!

Latest posts

Back