The *New* Wood Splitter Pic Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
come guys, post em if ya got em.
Heck - we are afraid to after seeing some of these other slick builds.:laugh:

My big splitter doing what it does best...busting up the big ones:
big1sm.jpg

And my little one: The pic is just as the splitter was being finished.
splitter1.jpg

The little one was built at a bargain basement price of a low, low price of $276. Designed to be smaller and faster then most. I call it my light duty splitter. (Unwieldy hoses were during testing phase).

And my little one: The pic is just as the splitter was being finished.
what size cylinder you running on your little one? looks like a 4''.

I have thinking the same thing on making a smaller ,faster and sleeker splitter for 16'' and smaller rounds .
something that would sip gas and have a fast cycle.
3'' or 3.5'' inch cylinder ?

I was looking at your "hero", GIF you have, this explains it all! lol

standard.jpg

SR

that is quite possibly the best option ive ever seen on a splitter

Jakers,
It only took me 10+ years of baking in the sun to come up with but it does make a sunny 90 degree day actually feel cooler than 90 if there is a breeze. I do most of my splitting in the summer so it's pretty much become my life saver.

Finally got this splitter/winch working how i wanted it to, chopped a better anchor in added a wireless remote. Winch is painfully slow but pulls hard, dont have to rely on farmers with tractors now. Probably one of the better mac trees i have found, 4 logs at 4m bar is 28".2014-05-17 15.32.06.jpg 2014-05-17 12.12.11_2 (2).jpg

View attachment 333536 View attachment 333537 View attachment 333538 View attachment 333539 30+ year old Speeco bought used when two years old, single stage pump, Volkswagon axle and wheels, 2nd detent valve, stroke reducers, 2nd bench, 3rd engine. B/S's just got tired and hard to start. Came with the wheels, modified to pull behind a tractor in an apple orchard. Makes it a nice height for splitting. Buried under 3' of snow at the moment.

I just picked one up. The speeco splittler. Trying to find out what ton and year. Any ideas. Looks just like yours. 5 hp motor. Just curious. Thx.

Mine is nothing to look at compared to some of the nice machines already posted, but I wanted to bring the post back to the top. It's not the most powerful or best, but it did split all of the hickory in the background of the photos. I inherited it from childhood neighbor's widow when he passed away 10 years ago this week. She knew it was not "OSHA approved" and didn't want just anyone to have it - she figured I could get it running to make use of it again though. I would bet that he didn't have more than $200 in it when he built it over 40 years ago.

I still miss the man that built it. He wasn't particularly fond of kids, but I had a great relationship with him once I grew up and didn't know everything. Learned a lot from him and wish I was as organized and thorough as he was. He had a logbook for every piece of equipment he owned with all of the maintenance and instructions needed for use - right down to how many times to pull the cord with the choke before starting. Never knew anyone that could make anything work in a more cost effective manner. He was constantly bringing home another man's scrap to make something of it (my wife may complain that I got that habit from him.) When something around the house didn't work correctly she would sit it on his workbench to fix it without ever having to exchange words. To this day, every time I'm at her house I still expect him to walk in and hear him ask, "How's it going, guy?" :( Sorry for my little sidetrack down memory lane there...
Picture 007.jpg Picture 008.jpg

Chomping at the bit here. Its going on 2 weeks since I ordered a SSHD. Connor said if it didn't ship this week, it'll go out next week. I sure hope so, woods starting to pile up.

Latest posts

Back