The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First job

I didn't wear a hard hat when I tested the bucket but had a harness on. Your right about the bucket who can I call to get it inspected. I setup too far from the tree to reach the hangers but pulled them down shortly after. Chipped everything up to six inches and made firewood out of the rest.

I didn't wear a hard hat when I tested the bucket but had a harness on. Your right about the bucket who can I call to get it inspected. I setup too far from the tree to reach the hangers but pulled them down shortly after. Chipped everything up to six inches and made firewood out of the rest.

Wajax does or google something in your area, is it an altec or Hi ranger? Altec is in Milton

Wajax does or google something in your area, is it an altec or Hi ranger? Altec is in Milton

Deevo, not only do I disagree with encouraging this poor soul, I think you need a time out for not know an ALC when you see one! lol

Today was my girlfriends first day as a groundie. We had a big pine at a friends house and she wanted to help and see what it was all about. She did great! I blocked many large pieces off the spar and she let em run nice and smooth, got them untied and had the rope back up to me before I knew it. It was a lot of fun. I'll have to post a video.

Last edited:
http://youtu.be/02ISz9hQYS0
Here's one. Sorry about the slow cuts. I just get a little puckered when cuttin stuff that big that high, just taking my time to be safe.

And here's another. By this time my arms were a little fatigued and I bumped the brake on my saw. Decent cuts though, I think. http://youtu.be/aKnpQAd4FLQ

Last edited:
Today was my girlfriends first day as a groundie. We had a big pine at a friends house and she wanted to help and see what it was all about. She did great! I blocked many large pieces off the spar and she let em run nice and smooth, got them untied and had the rope back up to me before I knew it. It was a lot of fun. I'll have to post a video.

That does it! I'ts time to involve my wife as a groundie! :cheers:

I saw that the notch cut was about half way in the spar. Is that how it should be? I usually cut out a a wedge, about 20% in.
But I guess there's less change to make a cut in the rigging line if you have a deeper wedge cut?

I'm comfortable taking a deep notch when my pieces are only 4' long. That way I don't have to worry about wedging it off or cutting into my notch and flopping it. Taller pieces I take a shallower notch. I like to have it just deep enough to have a slight pull in the direction of fall.

That does it! I'ts time to involve my wife as a groundie! :cheers:

I saw that the notch cut was about half way in the spar. Is that how it should be? I usually cut out a a wedge, about 20% in.
But I guess there's less change to make a cut in the rigging line if you have a deeper wedge cut?

general rule is 1/3 but when I'm blocking down a trunk a lot of times I'll put a deeper notch in it just so it goes over on its own let gravity help you

Being tested today on this gigantic poplar. I have one hour to rig out as much as possible. I have to tip tie and lift all those branches instead of just rigging them normally. Also have a tag line on the butt of it to direct it away from the imaginary "greenhouse". Haven't been up past 60' in a long time should be interesting!

Being tested today on this gigantic poplar. I have one hour to rig out as much as possible. I have to tip tie and lift all those branches instead of just rigging them normally. Also have a tag line on the butt of it to direct it away from the imaginary "greenhouse". Haven't been up past 60' in a long time should be interesting!

Good luck, I'll bet you do great.

Latest posts

Back