The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish you knew what you were talking about, that way you wouldn't be trolling up this post with your nonsense.

DRT each side of the rope holds HALF your weight, the TIP holds your weight * 1.

SRT your rope is connected to you, if you have the rope over a single crotch and tied to the base of the tree each side of the rope has your weight * 1, your weight * 2 sides of the rope = 2 * your weight on the TIP.

If you have the rope through multiple crotches the weight rests partially on each crotch, some may have more some may have less depending on the angles.

There, now you have something post in your blog. TROLL

Carb,
You got SRT right,Asumming you are anchored at base of tree load over supporting branch is aprox 2x your wieght , minus any friction of rope on bark.
DRT is the same, one side of your rope holds your wieght in full, and the other side of your rope holds your wieght in full, minus any friction over the TIP, asumming loss less, then it would also be a load of 2x you at TIP,
In order to get a 2:1 system you would have to have 2 TIP, DRT is still 1:1 plus or minus friction depending which side you are wieghing, some one help me here. or is this like grinding petrified wood. I am only trying to be helpful, but you think you know every thing, You argue with every one on here and you call me a Troll, my full ID, addy, phon#,etc can be accessed by the ISA Cert # plainly and proudly posted on my Signature, Trolls Hide under bridges in ristriction plates of your mind, Neg rep sent, just being wrong,you have to resort to child hood name calling,
You oboviously did not watch the video I posted, here is the next Video on 1:1 redirect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxvepNjDEdI&feature=channel&list=UL
and this one comparing 1:1 to 2:1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Ai0bwyu40&feature=autoplay&list=ULuxvepNjDEdI&playnext=1
Paul

Last edited:
Pot calling the kettle black

Carb, again you ask, you get a answer, you argue with someone that is trying to help you, who clearly knows more than you, then you call them a troll. That is comical. Quit, or no one, with any real knowledge, will help you at all.

Carb,
You got SRT right,Asumming you are anchored at base of tree load over supporting branch is aprox 2x your wieght , minus any friction of rope on bark.
DRT is the same, one side of your rope holds your wieght in full, and the other side of your rope holds your wieght in full, minus any friction over the TIP, asumming loss less, then it would also be a load of 2x you at TIP,
In order to get a 2:1 system you would have to have 2 TIP, DRT is still 1:1 plus or minus friction depending which side you are wieghing, some one help me here. or is this like grinding petrified wood. I am only trying to be helpful, but you think you know every thing, You argue with every one on here and you call me a Troll, my full ID, addy, phon#,etc can be accessed by the ISA Cert # plainly and proudly posted on my Signature, Trolls Hide under bridges in ristriction plates of your mind, Neg rep sent, just being wrong,you have to resort to child hood name calling,
You oboviously did not watch the video I posted, here is the next Video on 1:1 redirect
Rope and Pulley Systems: Segment 2 - The 1:1 Redirect and 2:1 Force Multiplication pds.m2ts - YouTube
and this one comparing 1:1 to 2:1 Rope and Pulley Systems: Segment 3- How Mechanical Advantage Affects Force & Motion.pds.m2ts - YouTube
Paul

Sorry I can't do YouTube on dialup

Anyway,

The only way you could possibly have 2X your weight on the TIP with a double rope system is to have 2 ropes rigged SRT style(both ropes secured at the base of the tree), if it's one rope over the limb with both ends connected to your harness then you only have 1X your weight on the TIP.

The TIP carries the force applied to each leg of the rope.

With both ends of the rope connected to your harness each leg carries 1/2 your weight, therefor 1/2 your weight * 2 legs of rope = 1X your weight on the TIP.

With one end connected to your harness and one end anchored at the base of the tree each leg carries 1X your weight, therefor 1X your weight * 2 legs of rope = 2X your weight on the TIP.

I can explain it in plain English; Why can't you explain it without YouTube???

Can you draw a picture? Seriously, just draw a picture in Paint or something, convert it to a JPEG and post it here.

Or better yet, post it in a new thread so BootBoy doesn't get upset that we're hijacking his thread.

Last edited:
I got to agree here, you can put 10 ropes but if they're all connected at the same point on both ends 100 lbs puts a 100 lbs at the tip.

Leaning hackberry

Had a leaning hackberry today, wasn't a big tree but it was leaning right over a shed and fence as well as a row of red tips. I secured it to 2 opposing trees with a come-a-long and a 2 inch ratchet strap while I entered the canopy with a ladder then pieced it down. Had to.cut n Chuck the main stem down in 18 inch sections to avoid any property damage. The H.O. stood on her porch and watched us the WHOLE time!:angry: I hate it when they do that. Anyways I had to redirect my lowering line to a neighboring tree where my lowering device was mounted. Lowering device had to be mounted behind a fence in a common area. Kind of a PITA. After that we trimmed a couple more trees with over hanging limbs then called it a day. Best part was that I told the customer I would have to Bill them afterwards to give them an accurate price. I try to do that on all jobs like that. This way I don't underestimate the job. Worked out great.:cool2:View attachment 238559View attachment 238560View attachment 238561

Had a leaning hackberry today, wasn't a big tree but it was leaning right over a shed and fence as well as a row of red tips. I secured it to 2 opposing trees with a come-a-long and a 2 inch ratchet strap while I entered the canopy with a ladder then pieced it down.

Is that common practice to use a ladder? I would have put a rope through a high crotch in one of the other trees and swung over to the leaning tree to work it.

Just saying, cause I've never felt comfortable on a ladder that's in a tree, seems a rope would be safer.

Had to.cut n Chuck the main stem down in 18 inch sections to avoid any property damage. The H.O. stood on her porch and watched us the WHOLE time!:angry: I hate it when they do that.

I love it when they do that. I guess I work better with an audience.

Is that common practice to use a ladder? I would have put a rope through a high crotch in one of the other trees and swung over to the leaning tree to work it.

Just saying, cause I've never felt comfortable on a ladder that's in a tree, seems a rope would be safer.

I just used it to get into the canopy then tied in. I did use it to cut n Chuck about 3 pieces tho after the top had all been removed. I tied the ladder to the tree to keep it from moving. And there was too much brush to get a tip in another tree and swing out, not to mention the nearest tree was atleast ten feet away. Trust me even tho I had my ladder tied and myself tied to the tree I didn't feel very comfortable even tho I knew it wouldn't fall. It was just a PITA. Atleast it wasn't big heavy wood. That would have really sucked:angry:

I don't mind if they watch for a.little while, but this was a retired lady with nothing better to do. So she stayed out there the WHOLE time..lol

I guess this is kind of a weird day.......cause you've said 2 things today that actually make sense.

but.....you did get this one wrong....

Carbie said:
Anyway,

The only way you could possibly have 2X your weight on the TIP with a double rope system is to have 2 ropes rigged SRT style(both ropes secured at the base of the tree), if it's one rope over the limb with both ends connected to your harness then you only have 1X your weight on the TIP.

Can you figure out how?

----------

I like the audience too.....it's even a bit more fun when people from several houses around drag their lawn chairs out to a good spot to watch from. But you know it's just like nascar........they're just watchin cause they don't want to miss the crash.

I like the audience too.....it's even a bit more fun when people from several houses around drag their lawn chairs out to a good spot to watch from. But you know it's just like nascar........they're just watchin cause they don't want to miss the crash.

So true.

I guess this is kind of a weird day.......cause you've said 2 things today that actually make sense.

but.....you did get this one wrong....

Can you figure out how?

Because 2 ropes rigged SRT would be redundant, you'd have to footlock up the ropes, your hitch would hang up pretty bad, and it's probably not the only way to put 2X the load on the TIP in a double rope system.

Oh and I called Ropeclimber a TROLL, when he actually had only been confused by something he saw on YouTube.

Last edited:
Oh and I called Customcuts a TROLL, when he actually had only been confused by something he saw on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

So that makes me a troll huh.. lol:ices_rofl:

Because 2 ropes rigged SRT would be redundant, you'd have to footlock up the ropes, your hitch would hang up pretty bad, and it's probably not the only way to put 2X the load on the TIP in a double rope system.

Oh and I called Ropeclimber a TROLL, when he actually had only been confused by something he saw on YouTube.

You've called me worse than a troll before, but calling others names hasn't kept you from being "confused" about all the stuff you've been incorrect about before. I've been wrong once or twice on this board myself. It happens.

FYI......there is gear to ascend Dbrt (not ddrt), so you wouldn't necessarily have to footlock. Dbrt is a 1:1 which only loads the tip 1x and is removable from the ground w/ no extra "pull down" lines. But that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about climbing on a Ddrt system, AND having your tip loaded 2x. How? and Why?

You've called me worse than a troll before, but calling others names hasn't kept you from being "confused" about all the stuff you've been incorrect about before. I've been wrong once or twice on this board myself. It happens.

FYI......there is gear to ascend Dbrt (not ddrt), so you wouldn't necessarily have to footlock. Dbrt is a 1:1 which only loads the tip 1x and is removable from the ground w/ no extra "pull down" lines. But that's not what I'm talking about.

Yeah I've seen those double ascenders.

Dbrt would load the tip 1x if you use a recoverable anchor, or running bowline sinched up to the limb, but if you tied off at the base you still get 2x on the tip if it's a single crotch situation.

I'm talking about climbing on a Ddrt system, AND having your tip loaded 2x. How? and Why?

You'd have to take Ropeclimber up the rope with you.

And I have no idea why you'd want to do that. :popcorn:

Yeah I've seen those double ascenders.

Dbrt would load the tip 1x if you use a recoverable anchor, or running bowline sinched up to the limb, but if you tied off at the base you still get 2x on the tip if it's a single crotch situation.

Dbrt IS a recoverable anchor, and a running bowline cinched to a limb is very much SRT, not Dbrt......but if you tied a Dbrt system off at the base, you still only get 1x loading on the tip.

I am bad with abriviations DRT Dbrt ? Ddrt?
but I would guess when double crotching, or transversing, ???
Oh and I hate ladders too, use one very seldom, besides a 6 foot leaning in the crotch, or to go up to blow off roof,
Paul,

Latest posts

Back