The Newbs version of "Whadja do today?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New saw storage log

attachment.php
Here's a pic of the new saw log I put in my garage.. I also used a cabinet that I took out of my restroom after a recent remodel I did... I used the cabinet to hold a couple of extra ropes,harness,spikes,etc....I use a 10 gallon airtank with a 10ft coiled hose and an air gun to blow off dust build up from around the oil fill caps on my saws...
View attachment 252092

took a few trailer loads back to my place for sorting and burning in Tarm or bonfire....wood in front of the trailer is apple - I'm trading some emails with a local BBQ guy - I'm hoping to barter the apple for some tasty BBQ- mmmmmmmmmmView attachment 252359

Got a call from a guy I bid a half-dead poplar for back in may. I forgot about it but he says he's got the money and it's time. Now I've gotta find the time. Maybe a new ground guy, my brother is back in school and has zero free time these days.

Went and looked at the poplar. I hate to come up on my original bid but it's more dead than it looked in April. Big tall Italian poplar, top 40' is dead. I'm not too thrilled about climbing it. I can't murph it either, space is too tight. I guess being the new kid on the block I can't be too picky.

Went and looked at the poplar. I hate to come up on my original bid but it's more dead than it looked in April. Big tall Italian poplar, top 40' is dead. I'm not too thrilled about climbing it. I can't murph it either, space is too tight. I guess being the new kid on the block I can't be too picky.

Take some pics lets see what you got going on.

took a few trailer loads back to my place for sorting and burning in Tarm or bonfire....wood in front of the trailer is apple - I'm trading some emails with a local BBQ guy - I'm hoping to barter the apple for some tasty BBQ- mmmmmmmmmmView attachment 252359

Do you have that thing completely water proofed? Looks like you could ford 4 feet of water with it, it if doesn't float away.

Do you have that thing completely water proofed? Looks like you could ford 4 feet of water with it, it if doesn't float away.

Prev. Owner put the snorkel on. With a little work I could def. go pretty deep. Not really my pursuit though....I will say that this little 4 cylinder turbo diesel is really making me smile for the small scale tree work I do. I've only had the truck a few months but it is 25 years old and has great tugging ability in 4-LO. I put 2" receivers on the front bumper and frequently rig a portawrap off the truck.

AND today I traded the apple for some AWESOME BBQ ribs pulled pork and shaved roast beef...MMMmMMMMMMMMM

took this

002.jpg

and made this

008.jpg

with this

007-1.jpg

to give credit where credit is due i "borrowed" those lines from someone on here

wrestled with a white pine

~60 feet high, ~24 inch. diam at stump. On a steep slope, up slope of the owners house. leaning down the slope towards/over the house. limbed my way up (lowering each limb (sometimes 3-4 limbs at once) Thankfully had a friend working from the ground with me.......I got up about 15 feet from the top and the stem spilt 4 ways. The primary stem was still "5" diam. but angled off the main trunk. I wasn't "feeling it" with regard to topping this and catching it (on a pulley/line). (too much weight, too much wind, weird angle...I felt like I would have been wagged like a dogs tail If I topped that big a piece and caught it) I rigged a line on the trunk below where the stem split off and climbed down.

With the line I placed, a portawrap and a come-along I was able to fell it from the ground in a safe direction but hung the top in a crotch about 20 feet off the ground.

Tomorrow I ladder up to the crotch and clean up the mess....All in all? A good productive morning.....

cut up a little pine tree a my grandma's 6.5 tons worth

001_zpscf62e2c3.jpg

this makes lifting those 6+ ft sections easier

002_zps5064e363.jpg

all filled up.

006_zps72794b13.jpg

other than breaking a chain no problems

Back