The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 20 tree falling videos on here. Mike has zero. Am I more of a real logger?
You bet sir
trees.jpg

Wait a darn minute! Why is all this professional talk in the "Not So Pro" Thread? C'mon, you guys can get your stuff packed tighter than this!

LOL...some days Not So Pro is probably a better description of events.
Having trees go sideways on you, getting hung up, falling down a lot, the loader operator playing bumper pool with truck stakes, the guys on the skidders missing logs, the guy running the processor setting the computer wrong and having to back buck most of the morning, the log truck drivers getting lost and backing over three new culvert edges trying to turn around, the landing being plugged because two out of three skidder operators don't like each other and try to beat each other instead of spacing their turns, the fuel truck driver deciding that stopping for coffee was more important than an on time delivery, and the mill changing the sort but not telling anybody...yup, definitely Not So Pro.

Oh, I get all that. I live in a small drinking town that still has a bit of a logging problem. Things have gotten so bad around here there are more churches than taverns anymore, though.
It's been years now, but I've done some surveying and forest roads stuff, and have spent a few weeks on a skidder, and a couple of weeks as a wedge carrier/knot bumper, and sold a few pull through delimbers. Family members that worked in the woods all survived to retire, so we're a lucky bunch.

As I have stated in another thread, the lack of pictures means nothing for folks of my age (Bob is older than me). For many my age, pictures are taken of occasions not of work. Outside of celebrities, models, professional photographers and marketing, if you are taking pictures or posing, you are not working.

It doesn’t take pictures to know someone or to be accomplished. I completed high school, college and law school by age 23 – do I have any graduation pictures? Nope, I skipped all three ceremonies. I practiced as a CPA with an international accounting firm for a couple of years – pictures? Nope. I was an executive officer with a then leading air freight company – pictures? Nope. I have practiced law for over thirty years, turned down appearances on national news shows, been on the front page of the local paper more times than I can remember, etc. – do I have any pictures? Let’s see there are three somewhere at the office: one of me with a birthday cake the secretaries made me, a group shot on Secretary’s Day (now called Administrative Professionals Day) and a shot of me in the background on the courthouse steps. First two were posed so they don’t count. I was outnumbered by news reporters, cameramen and other laymen on the courthouse steps so that one shouldn’t count either. I used to have a picture of my first time on a dozer at age 10 or 11 but I lost it. I guess I have no pictorial proof that I ever did anything productive.

Likewise pictures don’t always tell the truth. I have a picture of my wife on a dozer – but she has never even been close to one with the engine running. If I had pictures of me pushing dirt with a dozer would it prove that I am proficient? No, and in fact I am not. IIRC when I was much younger I had my picture on a driver’s license that would allow me to lawfully drive anything on wheels. Maybe that was before photo driver's licenses, doesn't matter - could I actually drive a semi? Nope. I have a few pictures taken for the McCulloch crowd of decent size wood – but anyone who knows me knows I am a mediocre firewood hack.

I’ve never met in person nor spoken to Bob or John, but if there is only one professional career logger, I’ll put my money on Bob – no pictures needed and no disrespect intended.

Ron

Speaking of pictures, I tried to take a few today of our “crews” for the day. Due to days of rain, it was too wet to haul wood, or even let the kids ride in the deuce, so they walked in and windrow-ed the firewood. With a few hour head start, three young Mennonite teens in their pretty flowing dresses stacked almost as much wood as twenty five mainstream teens did in two hours. As I had hoped, there was no cause for concern over the Mennonite teens’ operation of chainsaws. Forgot to take a picture of them. Finished the job before lunch.

These three young ladies had a row about 150 yards long completed before the others arrived.

IMG_3790.JPG

Stacking wood fire brigade style.
North group.
IMG_3795.JPG

South Group.
IMG_3794.JPG

Looking West.
IMG_3806.JPG

Looking East.
IMG_3805.JPG

Ron

There are very strict federal and state rules as to how many falling videos are required to determine a " real " logger. Sheesh!

Of course if you guys where the timber professionals you claim to be you would already know that.:laughing:
They don't call 'em newfandangled video cameras go-pros for nuth'n

This one in particular would get me so pissed I'd be speaking in tongues!

That, & if they screwed me on deductions.

we "used to" ship wood to a mill (sliverpicker worked there for a bit) that is one of the fussy, spec changing type joints. Haven't ever had a load go in there without deductions. After so many years of treating their suppliers that way, they only have enough wood for next week. whodathunk

Outside of celebrities, models, professional photographers and marketing, if you are taking pictures or posing, you are not working.

I hear complaints about this all the time. They want photos for our annual banquet. I rarely can provide any.

I had my photo in the paper the other day. In truth, I created no work product, I was shouting and pointing, someone else did the work. I was still required to buy ice cream for everybody else. You can barely tell it was me. I complained, "you took the photo of my back". The reply was "Well, your back was to me".

Ron...those are good pictures of a good crew. You're right about the Mennonites, they know how to work.
I just got home from a Mennonite funeral for a guy I used to work with. There are quite a few that log or have logging trucks and they're some of the best people I've ever had the pleasure to know.

I guess Paul Newman was really a logger, along with Henry Fonda and the cute guy who drowned in the movie. They did a whole movie so that would make them Genuine according to Gypo's definition. That would make most all the loggers around here fakes because they have no videos of themselves at work.

The guys on Axemen all must be high balling loggers. They have a lot of film time.

Latest posts

Back