The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This little jewel has the potential to kill off the red oak..combined with drought, it is devastating. Probably 20% or better in some areas is affected by the oak bore. Kills the tree from the top down. You talkin' about shaking some tops loose! Those dry sticks fly everywhere!

red oak dyin to beat the band here from some kind a blight I think. bark gets a white fungus on it. that a dead givaway

Much respect for you boys working u'r asses off to give u'r kids a better life. Raising my kids right (hopefully) is the hardest and most important job I do. But it does require a bit of beer

I mostly work off my legs and back and arms. Sometimes I work off some weight but mostly not.... Beer doesnt set right for me 3 cans and I usually blow chunks.(Im a sissy)... I like captain and cokes......

he a cut a wiggley dime size hole from butt to top. turn a purty oak into a saw log :(

They make a bunch of tiny holes from the outside in. Once the top starts dying, the bark starts slipping on the trunk and looks like a blight is on it. Usually down here the tree is actually sound. Cuts the grade down bad even if there is flooring pieces in a board...if it has the little worm holes it goes to pallet lumber. I cut tons of scrag logs out of bore killed timber, you let them fly and the dry rot stuff in the tops blow out all over the woods.

Much respect for you boys working u'r asses off to give u'r kids a better life. Raising my kids right (hopefully) is the hardest and most important job I do. But it does require a bit of beer

Husk I'm an old hack so I gotta defer to the young guns too but I try to keep up so you'll be able to no worries and...............I'll fall with ya bro no worries

I mostly work off my legs and back and arms. Sometimes I work off some weight but mostly not.... Beer doesnt set right for me 3 cans and I usually blow chunks.(Im a sissy)... I like captain and cokes......

Stop bore cutting and you'll get of yer knees lol

Thats just great soon every hard wood will be dead or dying first is was the chestnut then the beech now ash and oak. Ive been hearing something about some blight in the hard maples too

Cool

ya forgot ELM lol

They make a bunch of tiny holes from the outside in. Once the top starts dying, the bark starts slipping on the trunk and looks like a blight is on it. Usually down here the tree is actually sound. Cuts the grade down bad even if there is flooring pieces in a board...if it has the little worm holes it goes to pallet lumber. I cut tons of scrag logs out of bore killed timber, you let them fly and the dry rot stuff in the tops blow out all over the woods.

like a grenade went off in the top, yep

I was "drunk Uncle" at Christmas this past year! I drank an entire quart of some 140 me an a buddy "found"...:D. Wow, we know how to ma...find it! LOL!

The elm seems to be fine here. We dont cut it for anything any way cept for fire wood. The amish cut it for wagon tongues. We call it piss elm.....its stinky ...

Elm used to be used for the hubs of wagon wheels and flooring in stables.

DED elm is good firewood ........if there any green in it it burns like mould in a graveyard and it a sod to split

I meant to ask ......do you young guys still sound a stick before ya start ya cuts?

i'm flattered ya called me young :msp_biggrin: never really got the hang of it, but I can usually tell by looking

SSShhhhhh I'm not young either lol but I'll not tell if you won't lol

I always sound out and if I'm not sure I watch the saw chips real close to see the color etc ......guess it just my way lol as don't like surprises ........not that I don't get em tho

maybe this will not interest anyone but maybe within this thread we could try and bust some of the jargon in our industry .........things are called by different names at different locations .......it might be worthwhile might not lol

thoughts from folks???

maybe this will not interest anyone but maybe within this thread we could try and bust some of the jargon in our industry .........things are called by different names at different locations .......it might be worthwhile might not lol

thoughts from folks???

i'm game for that, don't know what good i'll be seems most of these terms from pnw. maybe i'll learn summin

Latest posts

Back