The Notch and a Half

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New guys get three tries, right. Normally not on the same tree but he was an overachiever, wanted to get the extra tries out of the way early. That way he could concentrate better.

Pilots have to make 3 take-offs and landings every 90 days to stay legal. Some guys can get all 3 landings in one go!!!

Maybe this chaps was trying the same thing :dizzy:

Springboards for this century

Picture all the saws you've ever owned pinched in a stairway to heaven.

More wedges than you have ever owned broken/cut/mushroomed on the ground nearby.

A small falling axe still in the utility box and the sawyer blaming the saw manufacturer.

A crewboss complaining about the new hiring procedures and why couldn't he hire who he wanted.

-----------

Your tax dollars at work.

Pilots have to make 3 take-offs and landings every 90 days to stay legal. Some guys can get all 3 landings in one go!!!

Maybe this chaps was trying the same thing :dizzy:

lolol I did that ONCE.... Following a C130 heavy (too close) on final into Sheridan WY, blustery winds, wife throwing up, wake turbulence...... spiked the nose wheel .. bounced, spiked, bounced, spiked again...... full power, stabize.. ease back power.... and landed at the END of the runway... Not funny at the time.. just about collapsed the gear... Sure glad there was no U-tube then.

I did only log one landing though...

Picture all the saws you've ever owned pinched in a stairway to heaven.

More wedges than you have ever owned broken/cut/mushroomed on the ground nearby.

A small falling axe still in the utility box and the sawyer blaming the saw manufacturer.

A crewboss complaining about the new hiring procedures and why couldn't he hire who he wanted.

-----------

Your tax dollars at work.

Ahh, retirement.

lolol I did that ONCE.... Following a C130 heavy (too close) on final into Sheridan WY, blustery winds, wife throwing up, wake turbulence...... spiked the nose wheel .. bounced, spiked, bounced, spiked again...... full power, stabize.. ease back power.... and landed at the END of the runway... Not funny at the time.. just about collapsed the gear... Sure glad there was no U-tube then.

I did only log one landing though...

My dad always said "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one". :cheers:

So true!

It almost got much worse on the next leg. I was landing in Bozeman MT, popped the gear down and only got two greens (one set of main gear showed "unsafe"). Great... I felt for sure I had bent someting on the previous "three" landings... Sinking feeling in my stomach....

Went away from the airport, cycled the gear mutiple times to no avail. A good friend of mine got on the radio any suggested pulling a couple of G's in a turn while cycling down. Damn... it worked. the crash guys stood down, but I know they were watching (the station doors were still open...). I did the best and softest landing I've ever done...

Turns out all I had a loose micro-switch (and some would say I still have ;) )

hand1b.jpg

Not a big deal, what would you sooner do? Lug a hammer and wedges on your belt all day and fight gravity and hammer the daylights outta every tree that sat back - or simply reverse the original notch and drop the tree where it wants to go? Dunno if this guy's actually doin' that, but there's usually always more to a story than you think..

hand1b.jpg

Not a big deal, what would you sooner do? Lug a hammer and wedges on your belt all day and fight gravity and hammer the daylights outta every tree that sat back - or simply reverse the original notch and drop the tree where it wants to go? Dunno if this guy's actually doin' that, but there's usually always more to a story than you think..

I do carry an axe and wedges. First I would not have allowed the horizontal cut and the "angled" cut to miss by that much. Second(in his case) I would have recut the two notches starting in their original cuts. My cuts would have not had the off horizontal line these are taking. No angled backcut either. The tree appears to be pretty small but two faces on the same side of a tree is asking for a barberchair. What does sitting back have to do with this pic? "reverse the original notch", what does that mean?

I do like the fact that his sleeves were rolled up.

Last edited:
Hi 2dogs, yeah that tree's about the average tree size thinning forests down here, about a 15-18" tree, here it's in the middle of nowhere and steep, 60cc stihl does it, 70cc more comfortable on the bigger ones, a 460 perfect for 20" stuff if you don't mind carrying lots more fuel/weight,(let alone hammer and wedges) I prefer the 036, uses heaps less fuel, probably only a couple of measly seconds slower than an 044, not all trees the same size, by lunchtime 250 is a good enough tally, another 250 in the afternoon, no real difference in numbers between the saws, the 70cc always good to have when things get gnarly, even those trees in the pic, I'd tend towards the 70cc depending on how rough the terrain, that tree looks like he scarfed it, got in a shallow backcut, but the tree sat back, now he's just putting in another notch on the other side to drop the tree effortlessly. I do it a hundred times a day, on the flats mainly, let the trees tip where they want to, but going by all the hacking on the front of that tree in the pic - well, does that operator know what he's doing or not? Then again, often a quick cut gives an indication of which way she'll tip, but all in all it looks like a bit amateurish to me

Latest posts

Back