The Notch and a Half

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that tree looks like he scarfed it, got in a shallow backcut, but the tree sat back, now he's just putting in another notch on the other side to drop the tree effortlessly. I do it a hundred times a day, on the flats mainly, let the trees tip where they want to, but going by all the hacking on the front of that tree in the pic - well, does that operator know what he's doing or not? Then again, often a quick cut gives an indication of which way she'll tip, but all in all it looks like a bit amateurish to me

That sounds like the difference between a "faller" and a "cutter".
A faller makes a tree go where it needs to go.
A cutter lets a tree go where it wants to go.
It's a lot easier to skid behind a faller.

Andy

Ah yes, no skidders involved when thinning to waste, entirely the 'cutters' choice as to where the trees go .. road edges or fencelines - that's another story..

I did a double notch just a couple weeks ago. It was only 5 or 6 inches and about 15 ft. tall though. No problems because it was so small. I was clearing brush along a chainlink fence. I made the notch, and then realized that there wasn't enough room to get in for the backcut.... :censored:

Ah yes, no skidders involved when thinning to waste, entirely the 'cutters' choice as to where the trees go .. road edges or fencelines - that's another story..

I guess thinning's different in different places. Everything has to be removed, or chipped on most of my jobs. Makes it look like a park with stumps.:D

Andy

Here's a view of a typical thinning block down here..

thi.jpg

Latest posts

Back