The Official "Buckin'" Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think it is a problem if you use a finish on the bowl . Mineral oil is sometimes used for bowls, especially on the inside, because it won't hurt people and it keeps the bowl from drying out and splitting .
The juglans is not super poisonous, more of an irritant to people . It just gets kind of nasty if you get a lot of smoke in the room when re-fueling . I am lucky to have a lot of cherry and I don't mind that smoke at all .

around hear a walnut about 16in at cut base and 8ft not free can bring in around 1-3 thousand if its a good tree a 6ft hedge post can bring 60-80 dollars but maples and oak aren't worth a thing money wyes---on the bowels I only use them win I make home made soups and the grease realy keep them in good shape I'm not realy worried about it---the tree company they are crooks and so is the local tree service around hear their big time hackers and should have their saws taken their best saw is a farm boss the rest are pollen prows that's it---my daughter's first saw is better than them not much but better---I gave her my homelite 33cc wen she wase 13

The Barbie Saw Makes An Easy Cut

Girly Bucking.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I will post stills of the more interesting parts.

Here's the problem. I either need to get a peavy, or harness up one of the audience.

attachment.php

I'm cutting on this old hemlock because it will be easy to throw in the pickup after it gets split. I forgot the splitting wedge.
attachment.php

It was felled on some old stumps. Then as I cut the blocks out, it of course, settled on the ground. I found a spot to cut it through, but it won't budge and I can't remember the secret cut for opening up a trail. So, I tried to carve on it to open it up wider.

attachment.php

That worked, until I took the Pink Wedge out.
Then it settled, tight again. Should I have used an orange wedge to match The Barbie Saw? Should I look for a reasonably priced peavy tomorrow at the swap meet? Should I use the log as is for a bench for beer swilling while eating the members of the audience?

Here's the problem. I either need to get a peavy, or harness up one of the audience.

attachment.php

I'm cutting on this old hemlock because it will be easy to throw in the pickup after it gets split. I forgot the splitting wedge.
attachment.php

It was felled on some old stumps. Then as I cut the blocks out, it of course, settled on the ground. I found a spot to cut it through, but it won't budge and I can't remember the secret cut for opening up a trail. So, I tried to carve on it to open it up wider.

attachment.php

That worked, until I took the Pink Wedge out.
Then it settled, tight again. Should I have used an orange wedge to match The Barbie Saw? Should I look for a reasonably priced peavy tomorrow at the swap meet? Should I use the log as is for a bench for beer swilling while eating the members of the audience?

Of all the times not to have a badger with you to dig out under your cuts ! Isn't it always the way it goes .

Girly Bucking.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&hl=en_US"></><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This would be considered wheeling?

No. Wheeling would be bucking from the bottom up and (given enough weight on the piece) as the cut closes you ream out the cut to cont get pinched, then continue upward up and out. Thats wheeling up. To be clear, I'm not sure the term extends beyond Burv's own creation, but the technique is valued either way.

Girly Bucking.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zZfya9eabQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I see you got the bug-eyez on

No. Wheeling would be bucking from the bottom up and (given enough weight on the piece) as the cut closes you ream out the cut to cont get pinched, then continue upward up and out. Thats wheeling up. To be clear, I'm not sure the term extends beyond Burv's own creation, but the technique is valued either way.

I'm kinda dumb so when you talk about reaming out the cut, are you talking about making the kerf wider? Type slowly please, because my brain is slow :) especially when it comes to descriptions of this stuff.

I think I know what Burvol means about wheeling. If you're bucking big wood you can put a run in it and start from the far side, never letting the saw quit cutting, never letting the bar quit moving. And watching, watching all the time. If you're doing a big log, say a 48 incher, starting your run on the far side will let you finish closer to your side where you can see better, get your saw out and get clear when it goes. Big pine and cedar are prone to snapping off or slabbing before you're done and if you're on steep ground they'll take off quick. Often times one end will swing back up toward you

I'm probably not explaining this very well and I might not even be talking about the exact same thing Burvol is. Technique and terminology change from place to place.

Time for Burvol to make a video for us.

I'm kinda dumb so when you talk about reaming out the cut, are you talking about making the kerf wider? Type slowly please, because my brain is slow :) especially when it comes to descriptions of this stuff.

Sorry, to "NOT" get pinched- and yes, open the kerf as the cut closes by reaming the cut, once the cut closes and you've reamed enough out, cut on upward cause you're golden now!

Miss P, your saw sure sounds good at idle!

Sausage and coffee are ready, time for packing up for work.:chainsaw:

OK, I was thinking "shaving a bit off" while trying to get the chunks to pop out where they are stuck. That's shown in the still pictures.

The saw gurus showed me how to do that, but I'd probably get still stuck.:cry:

Rain this morning.

Today I returned and got the dreaded hemlock to separate. I had to cut think little wedge shaped chunks out of it to get it to do so. Then Barbie got stuck while shaving a bit off to widen the kerf. A few hits on the pink wedge got her right out.
attachment.php

I planned the slant cuts to compensate for the slope of the ground while splitting. :monkey:
attachment.php

I came up with a new system. I had an ice super caffeinated mocha, and decided when the mocha was gone, I would split no more. It worked. My back was done for at this point.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Back