The Old Giants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we haven't seen much activity in this thread for awhile.
I thought this lastest addition to my collection belonged here.
Homelite 3100G geardrive at 114cc's. Strong runner.

Lee

4thHomelite3100G002.jpg

4thHomelite3100G003.jpg

4thHomelite3100G004.jpg

4thHomelite3100G001.jpg

Looks a lot like the one I used back in '87 when i worked for a tree service out of Sherwood, OR (south of Portland -- now swallowed up by a suburb I helped create clearing lots!).

We took down several carrot-shaped Doug firs on the Tualatin golf course --- a few were 3 -4 ft. in diameter. The Homelite we used had a thumb oiler, and chain speed so low I could swear that i could see the individual cutters going by. We did get the trees down -- two log trucks of crap stud mill grade.

I am still amazed that the boss set us loose, not only with his favorite old saw (retired logger that started a tree service, he was 60 at the time) -- but the saws we mainly used then were little Poulans.
Pro fallers we were not -- but we had a logging skidder to hang a cable in each tree!

Problem -- we got lazy and didn't hang the choker very high (that wire rope does get heavy --- 5/8?) and we had one tree that did not want to go over. It just kind of wiggled a bit. After six wedges in two stacks, we pulled it over -- wrong way would have taken out a green. We were told not, under any circumstances, to hit a green, just keep the trees in the rough.:msp_tongue:

I've found all the saws I've always wanted except for a 3100. They are not easy to find. Even the SP125/101B was easy comparitivly speaking.

I've found all the saws I've always wanted except for a 3100. They are not easy to find. Even the SP125/101B was easy comparitivly speaking.

Hello Jay,

I am glad to see you post again. I truly hope all is better up your direction now than it has been in the past year or so. I now ithas been tough, I look forward to when we can get together.

Bill

Very nice Lee.... Very nice!!

I'll be looking for one of these next. Any pointers in finding one?

watson, The only pointers is good luck.
The 3100 has eluded many collectors
out there. I'm very lucky to have found
the four that i have and three of them
were under 150.00 each.

Good to see you posting Jay.
Hope things are ok your way.

The 3100 is a tough saw to find.
But homelite made many and they're
out there.

Lee

I hear ya there Norm.

Not much to chose from with the new though, too bad.

You need Giants when you rip some big sticks though. nice to put 'em to work from time to time;

attachment.php

Naw,

Uncle Lee has pretty much got the market cornered on them.

Just the "little predecessor" 100cc/42mmx55mm.

Then Sachs Dolmar thought they needed the "super saw" 166, 48x56, I would sure like to put one on my 50" Alaskan ripoff.

Milling will surely separate the men from the boys.

Naw,

Uncle Lee has pretty much got the market cornered on them.........................

Yes he does have a HUGE collection of them but Dolmar still made more than 21 so if you hunt hard you can find one:msp_wink:

Here's another Homelite that belongs in this threads.
The Model 995G, Very hard saw to find although a few
have surfaced in the past year or so. This one needed
nothing but a carb adjustment. Runs flawlessly.

Lee

Homelite995G7502000007.jpg

Homelite995G7502000008.jpg

Homelite995G7502000009.jpg

I think maybe this one belongs here too.
Mcculloch 797G. Mcculloch never made this
saw. I have built a few and a couple have
surfaced from the old days. This saw is basicly
a model 890 or 895 with the 797 123cc motor.
This one actually has the Super 797 motor.

Lee

MccullochSuper797G001.jpg

MccullochSuper797G002.jpg

MccullochSuper797G003.jpg

MccullochSuper797G004.jpg

Nice 995 Lee! I was bidding on one on the bay not too long ago.... Someone sniped it right at the end. They don't show up too often.... but, the last two i've seen have been in pretty nice shape. Closest I have is a 9-23

Back