The one handed debate...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ignoring the HV issue for the moment, what would your advice be to a young arborist who does not do power line work, if they asked you whether they should one hand a saw?

You shouldn't train a new arborist to do it (cut one handed), but they will probably pick it up from watching you! That how I learned.

I would say KEEP BOTH LOCKED ON THAT SON OF A BEECH. Nasty little ####ers those saws. Those builder dudes wanna act tough with their yellow Dewalt? They think their bad cause they shot a nail through their knee cap? That's Child's play, its for kids. None of that stuff is really gonna kill you.
You got a swell chance on cutting your self either way so best to make sure you got it. Learn how to enage the break or shut if off while climbing and cutting. While one might be able to control a saw through a cut under solid circumstance one does not stand a chance should the saw kickback. The saw will be coming. Learn the mechanics of cutting ( which is the title to my new book;)), pay attention to what is happening while it happens.

Anyway. You guys all still winter bored? I had to sit down for a second and waste a day. My knee if killing me but I will file some papers later. But I was think of a poll post which would be good to reflect on during these types of posts about one handing. It would be a poll post or something like that on who was cut? Just so we all know... and how. I think it would be a good idea.

Bored

I would say KEEP BOTH LOCKED ON THAT SON OF A BEECH. Nasty little ####ers those saws. Those builder dudes wanna act tough with their yellow Dewalt? They think their bad cause they shot a nail through their knee cap? That's Child's play, its for kids. None of that stuff is really gonna kill you.
You got a swell chance on cutting your self either way so best to make sure you got it. Learn how to enage the break or shut if off while climbing and cutting. While one might be able to control a saw through a cut under solid circumstance one does not stand a chance should the saw kickback. The saw will be coming. Learn the mechanics of cutting ( which is the title to my new book;)), pay attention to what is happening while it happens.

Anyway. You guys all still winter bored? I had to sit down for a second and waste a day. My knee if killing me but I will file some papers later. But I was think of a poll post which would be good to reflect on during these types of posts about one handing. It would be a poll post or something like that on who was cut? Just so we all know... and how. I think it would be a good idea.

I've been way too busy to be bored, I have to work everyday.

One way to avoid the cut and hold is to try the 'reverse' snap cut.

Cut the tension wood first, then the compression wood, allow the piece to settle and just pinch the bar, chainbrake on, reach over and snap it off and chuck it down...The bar in the cut stops the piece snapping off on its own as long as you get the overlaps right.

Good trick, I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks.

I do when I see the need and deem it a necessary skill to have. One handing and two handing carry different risks, learn to identify and mitigate them, instead of believing one will keep you safe and the other is bad. My 2cents.
yep, one handing a saw is like driving a car one handed, some can and some can't....me, I drive with one while cutting with the other (I actually used to do that while trimming from the bucket).........

Cutting branches that are overhanging a line using snap cuts, I think not. I have two hands, I wish I had a tail, then I could use two hands. I don't want to get into another beef, but how much utility work have you done, on energized high voltage?
they just don't get it do they.......

yep, one handing a saw is like driving a car one handed, some can and some can't....me, I drive with one while cutting with the other (I actually used to do that while trimming from the bucket).........

What about people that drive with their knees??:dizzy:

When I was growing up.A friend of my older brother wa a legend in his own mind because he could drive with his knees and roll a doobie at the same time.

What about people that drive with their knees??:dizzy:

When I was growing up.A friend of my older brother wa a legend in his own mind because he could drive with his knees and roll a doobie at the same time.
yep, some can and some can't....drive with their knees that is..:cheers:

I started in this buisness 25+ years ago doing a lot of production work. We used those little echo top handle saws. I learned one handed. Thought that was the right way to use a top handle saw. I know to always keep my wits about what would happen if the saw should kick back, or fall through the cut etc. no matter if I am using a 200T one handed or a 084 two handed. Maybe for a home owner using a top handled saw is dangerous, but after many years of holding that saw all day I I fell I have the skill and control plus strength that its not a safety issue. Just my two cents.

Ignoring the HV issue for the moment, what would your advice be to a young arborist who does not do power line work, if they asked you whether they should one hand a saw?

Same thing you would tell a 15yo kid with a fresh learners permit while he was climbing into an F1 car. You need to crawl before you challenge Marion Jones to a hundred yard footrace.

One-handing: as little as possible. If you need it you're not properly positioned in the tree. Not sure if OH-ing is the leading cause of accidents in tree-climbing work, but wouldn't be surprised if it were.

Cheers,

Giel

Funny thing today is that this thread was in my head when I was pruning a Euc. I caught myself making a cut one handed too! And yes, upon reflection, all I needed to do was move to a better position and I could have done the cut safely.

:buttkick:

if I HAD to cut with both hands while climbing, I would :censored: quit.

The 200T is made and designed for one handed cutting, if needed. I two hand a lot of cuts, but I will always do what I do, when pruning or whittling, cutting small limbs, etc.....
I've run saws ALL my life ,since the age of 12, and yes I've cut myself.
It hurt, I lived, I learned.

this is a bandwagon covered in wienies, get on if you want, just don't harp that we have to use two hands. that's a crock of :censored:

for noobs, YES! for rookies, all things take time and practice.
we are grown men doing a tough job. Don't tell me how, under the guise of safety
For Christ's sake, we climb dead trees. :dizzy:
:cheers:

Last edited:
if I HAD to cut with both hands while climbing, I would :censored: quit.

The 200T is made and designed for one handed cutting, if needed. I two hand a lot of cuts, but I will always do what I do, when pruning or whittling, cutting small limbs, etc.....
I've run saws ALL my life ,since the age of 12, and yes I've cut myself.
It hurt, I lived, I learned.

this is a bandwagon covered in wienies, get on if you want, just don't harp that we have to use two hands. that's a crock of :censored:

for noobs, YES! for rookies, all things take time and practice.
we are grown men doing a tough job. Don't tell me how, under the guise of safety
For Christ's sake, we climb dead trees. :dizzy:
:cheers:

Yes I am a wienie. Whatever that is. Yes I cut with 2 hands on my 200t. :cheers:

Yes I am a wienie. Whatever that is. Yes I cut with 2 hands on my 200t. :cheers:
A broiled wienie right? hot down there as usual, I bet...
Nah you're not necessarily one, if you cut that way as your style, more power to ya.:cheers:

my point was doing it because you have too, because someone else says so.

the big point is securing my position with the off hand to the tree or rope, and making a safe cut, lowering requires a slower approach, but I do a lot of big removals, and really fly thru the tree whittling and bombing.
add 30 seconds to one minute to get in a secure 2 handed "stance" or position, and add up 50 to 100 cuts. couple of hours lost.
not me.

but I 2 hand all the time blocking, and cutting larger pieces, so I'm only a Vienna sausage kinda wienie......:D

Back