The Redundant Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled into Home Despot today and this Mazda was next to me. Sorry for the crappy picture...

View attachment 421142
I have seen,, more than once,,big mercs,,an cads,,filled level to top of seats,,with room ONLY for the driver to sit and drive............gots to smell like the county dump...............

What are those cannons that yer mounting on the porch, are they bear deterrents?...is that one r, or two r's?

Sewer pipe, makes a pretty good potato cannon but that stuff is a tad large for the barrel. John don`t need no stinkin sewer or flushable toilets....LOL

Nice pict, we see them here in Halifax harbor real often, can be seen from miles away cause the drill towers are so high above the water.
That is a big drill ,like a little city on the water almost ,In person it looks much larger .They are doing some work to it here ,then it goes to seattle for some more work after .

That is a big drill ,like a little city on the water almost ,In person it looks much larger .They are doing some work to it here ,then it goes to seattle for some more work after .
They are large indeed, these are deep water drilling rigs, they set lower when ballasted with water to keep them more stable, anchored at the four corners with massive seabed anchors and connected to them by some very heavy chain.

Transocean-Marianas-deepwater-drilling-rig.jpg

I was told they fill that barge with water and sink it some ,then float the drill over it and pump the water back out to raise it

That is exactly true......except it's a full blown ship not a barge......this the same type (if not the same one) that they brought the "Cole" back from Yemen on....she was to long to fit on deck so they put her on kitty cornered with the bow sticking out off the starboard side forward and the stern out over the port side aft.......a tricky damn feat when planning an trans Atlantic crossing...my brother sent me pics but they were on about the third burnt up 'puter ago.......A "sea wrecker"........

Yup, seen one go steaming past one day, looked kinda like this,

898943-110708-oil-rig-offshore-drilling-platform.jpg

shot of another sitting on deck

Deepwater_Nautilus.jpg

Some of the drill rigs/platforms are self propelled and then there are the drill ships that are self propelled and can steam at a higher rate of speed and are much quicker to move ,relocate and set up. The ships do not anchor to keep in position, they have computer controlled thrusters that work with GPS to hold them in position while drilling, claims are they can hold themselves within one meter over the drill hole in almost any weather.

BP-Adds-Two-Drilling-Rigs-in-Deepwater-Gulf-of-Mexico.jpg

Back