Name This Issue Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now at this time of year, I wouldn't treat anything. For that matter, I don't have customers that request fungicide treatments, either, so I'm pretty clueless.

Should I research me up a good answer?

BTW: brown splotches of any sort, I tend to call anthracnose, for lack of a better diagnosis.

Yes it's anthracnose, be aware that all anthracnose diseases are not the same. Maple anthracnose is different from dogwood or oak anthracnose. Late in the growing season diseases are of little threat to tree health. No treatment is warranted.

Nor would it work! Unless I am mistaken, that's like putting your boots on after you ran barefoot through a pile of broken glass.
Most fungicide applications help prevent spores from taking root on healthy leaf tissue. They need to be applied as a preventive. Exceptions to this for one would be powdery mildew. These liquid applications are lucrative money makers for the big name tree companies, who can afford the liability. As a result I see too many trees sprayed unnecessary.

Most fungicide applications help prevent spores from taking root on healthy leaf tissue. They need to be applied as a preventive. Exceptions to this for one would be powdery mildew. These liquid applications are lucrative money makers for the big name tree companies, who can afford the liability. As a result I see too many trees sprayed unnecessary.
Diluted goat milk works great on mildew, but especially powdery-white mildew.

Very good Spurious, it is locust leafminer on black locust. Systemic treatments in May or June is best. However most don't consider black locust as a tree worth treating. Sometimes this insect is found on honey locust. Customers will have these trees treated to help prevent early leaf drop. This pest is not considered a real threat to the health of locust trees. As you drive along the highways you'll find locust trees brown and defoliated from this insect.

Very good Spurious, it is locust leafminer on black locust. Systemic treatments in May or June is best. However most don't consider black locust as a tree worth treating. Sometimes this insect is found on honey locust. Customers will have these trees treated to help prevent early leaf drop. This pest is not considered a real threat to the health of locust trees. As you drive along the highways you'll find locust trees brown and defoliated from this insect.
Makes sense on the treatment. We can get them on our blueberries here. So treatment is top of mind when I see those tracks.

Not sure if this counts as "unusual" for anyone in the northwest, but I've recently been forced to learn more about it.

ADCreHfAUg1v3ddODxZiYXvhg80be4wMtylS8QI7SGubHosf3o5k9StCSLItcUpxdw4EK_sadjgi5hbPvV6-CFQXHWZlBU4YFfdZ9ZB1Plvj1AibKlRshkLAnsqYH_C1oWlU0t9qPVHh7ZAbF97K2FJOrNeTrw=w936-h1248-s-no

ADCreHcKSdYGxCMWGu9xJvSEFcNgEZINnVfoCQcOTxDEY8L75Jn0d-aPgi1hz4SIkHRKJE6kBfkov6OCdiY_4KhVlpooKDBt5iElIv9e7BNAuuOvMukAHMo8XB56jzRk-UhgqvldfhH61DmAfTgJGoHOVpHZtQ=w936-h1248-s-no

Good pics, things that that you'll need to post to help with the ID.
A picture so the tree can be identified.
There are many different types of heart rot fungi, a picture of the fruiting bodies is also needed.

Good pics, things that that you'll need to post to help with the ID.
A picture so the tree can be identified.
There are many different types of heart rot fungi, a picture of the fruiting bodies is also needed.

80yr old doug fir dying from top down. I have two with the same sort of crown dieback. The one that's already down didn't need to be limbed. This one did (or at least I wanted to due to center of gravity concerns):

ADCreHev5zWVBeWkwn0yJe6XePAhm7QsyYwcufvlW6rYTN0LNuDk5Xrb1ddHogzN2bwrY_HGnmHiQFtyjRzslOWMqFIWD8cF8VKxVlMTAnCXjVTiq_pdXsVluBZn4TFmlcYP20jbjxOyU2i0jiQl0d4TCWB-Eg=w800-h851-s-no

I didn't take pics of the conks on that one, but I have several other trees with the same conks.

ADCreHcxHqF9-wbRjU8COrSVuH1os2uqgKx1uslT9drhtYkG7ssF1oGdl3LF9lKyY5EGbihvLXzfvl09ISAPyV8q8IciiAZ5K7wmKTMS6gU9Ct4Kswdp2vLOjPAucy-61BeC-j4qXdN9-5K83kZWsy1YFCy6BA=w1561-h1054-s-no

ADCreHdHw-Tb_BLb8M_pjElOM6a9Ju9NwOg4XKb0UMHgIOd_ARRsb3hl7OGO5nZM36xdsA8cFImpmCq9afpVew7Lr9r6iKVJgeniPKbLP6JfuD8pvaLz3thpltrH-FkHTb627hwWQlaHDNTOhD9hZjOE7_kZOQ=w2217-h1248-s-no

And a curveball... here's the cambium from the same tree:
ADCreHdmTprFAG0qmEMvWJGxwMaEBxUapkJEjxst2cH3jwuhNzOLwYu77cs7P3iZSJ8S7rRWqOvVdkJ5RL7qovw1CTwDbn65dlKX-m1-OQRbSNCwb5Q20qshyLd3xCen_M0k_32kmaOkwnMGi83OJxVTDTueuA=w1664-h1248-s-no

I remove all the bark for firewood and the bark looked like this on essentially every 14" piece.

Looks like galleries on the cambium
Excessive galleries, and in a telltale pattern for a common Doug Fir pest.

Here's another curveball. It was a codominant. Inferior stem had the fungus but was green at the top. Main stem had no conks or white pockets, but was red/dead.

Douglas fir beetles, but that seems too easy an answer?
Yeah, that's the easy part. The galleries are pretty common. Death isn't. Was it the beetles or the fungus, or some qualified combination of the two? Could this have been caught early enough to save the tree? What's the implication for adjacent trees? Diagnostic techniques? Hazard?

The EAB girdles the Ash trees, but that goes all the way around limiting (or cutting off) the trees food supply.
Those galleries might have been enough to weaken the tree, then that fungus ?
I would treat any other trees in the area, we don't have too many Douglas firs here, so never really had this happen. more pine and sawfly that I have to deal with.

Back