the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see its been some years since this thread used.

I am wondering if anyone knows what the differences are between the red master control lever and the black master control lever saws?I'v noticed the 038s iv seen with white decal saying 038 magnum have had the black lever and the aluminum plate decal with two pop rivets have the red lever.
What other differences are there?external internal?does anybody know the years each where made?
Id really like a detailed history of the magnums.
Cheers.

Never seen a red lever on a 038. I've got 038S (converted to 038M), 038M, and an old 038 metal tank parts carcass

Great saw, but heavy. I have cut a lot of wood with mine. It is giving me some trouble right now, though, so I have some work to do to get it right again. I recently put new rings and seals in it, and that helped a lot. It is now shutting off on idle and bogs down when giving gas. This saw is over 20 years old, so I guess it is time for some trouble, as it has been problem free until recently. It was very dependable and very powerful. Cuts fast with a sharp chain, slow with a dull chain.
Sounds like you may have an air leak. Check the intake boot.

I’ve got a question my 038 Mag2 runs like it’s stolen but never can get a cold start out of it. My others saws not any issues but the whole choke on air filter thing just doesn’t work on mine. Is there a trick to it. I’ve got OEM filter. If I squirt a little gas or starter fluid off she goes but never with the choke. I thought maybe lever that pushes it closed and put a new one on but nope. Filter sits good inside that backing plate? Any help or ideas thanks

Latest posts

Back