the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing was built like a tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank u
Didn't know this sight was here . Could have used it years ago

My pals 038Mag wears the same chain and 28" bar that my 066 does.

Maybe my 066 is off, because the 038 keeps right up with it. The 066 definitely heavier.

Sounds like it revs higher. Definitely a bit slower in the cut with some weight on it.

My 066 is bone stock with a dual port muffler. Never checked compression. Clean bore though.

There's gotta be something wrong. The 066 should run circles around the 038. Check the comp before and after you remove the base gasket on the 066.

Must be. I'll check today and report back.

Bone stock, including the base gasket.

If the gasket is removed, does it affect the port timing? Do I check squish before and after?
Any affect on timing would not really be noticed compared to the gain of more compression.
Although I cant speak for your 066, any 066 I took the base gasket out had enough clearance.
Just keep in mind they all came off the assembly with slight differences. Some are just faster than others.

Any affect on timing would not really be noticed compared to the gain of more compression.
Although I cant speak for your 066, any 066 I took the base gasket out had enough clearance.
Just keep in mind they all came off the assembly with slight differences. Some are just faster than others.
Depends on what diam logs they were compared in the small saw will keep up in smaller logs till you go big.

He might just be running to rich in fuel, it might sound fine just revving it up but once u get a load on her it will bog out if it get to much fuel. Lean it back a hair. I hate giving advice like this with out looking at it first cause if u lean it out to much ull burn her up. An other thing to do is a vacuum Check. That will give u bad performance. May need seals on the crank or a hose to the crankcase. Id check the vacuum first.

I have 160 psi cold.

New crank seals and bearings. I did a case split on the saw.

I must say, I can get the 038 mag to bog down if I lever it down hard with the dawgs and the 28. The 066 can't be stopped no matter how hard I push. No bog at all.

No . 160 is the compression test. The vacuum test is making sure the crank case hold a vacuum seal. 10-15 pd for an hour . If it seeps out u may need bottom end seals or bearings or there's a leak in the crankcase somewhere. This is important cause it's the vacuum that draws the gas mix into the head chamber. A good sign that it could be a vacuum problem is that ur alway trying to tune in the carburetor.

Here I found this for u
It doesn't matter what saw u got but it is very important for ur performance of the saw

Good luck
It's not hard to do, it's just knowing to do it.

Did Stihl ever slap a magnum sticker on a standard 038? Long story but I have one in my shop that has only 038 on the riveted plate and a Magnum sticker. What saw have I got here?

AFAIK, any 'magnum' designation should indicate it was (originally anyway) a 52mm bore. I have an older W Germay one with the 'magnum' on the metal name plate and a newer dual ex port Brazilian one that has only 038 on the plate and a 'magnum' sticker on the cover (both are 52mm).
The still later ones are 3 port ex and have 'magnum II' on the plate.

I just signed up cuz I was reading about the 038 Magnum, and stumbled onto this thread.

In 1990, I went to Reddi-cross Fixit, in Fort Assiniboine, because they had an ad for a Stihl promo sale.

I got to looking at all the new saws they had on sale (which I have no memory of what those were), and then over on a side shelf, I spied a saw with a 'Discontinued' tag on it.

It was a '038 Magnum'.

I didn't know anything about it other than it was referred to as a 'professional model', and I knew it was a big displacement saw at 72cc, and I liked the name 'Magnum'. Hahaha!

It was also cheaper than the so-called sale models, because it was deemed to be discontinued. It only took me a moment to decide it was the saw to buy.

I've probably cut about a cord a year with the saw, ever since. Pine/spruce and birch. Plus it goes with me on hunting and ATV rides. I don't leave home without it.

I love the power it has, and it still runs as dependably as the day I bought it.

Since I don't use it except for firewood for the house, it will sit sometimes for six months before I run it.
It can be a beast to start if it has sat for 6 months or so. But once it fires, it just purrs.

About the only thing I've had to do was replace the rubber motor mount grommets. That and clean the air filter. Replaced a few chains that wore out.

I've never changed the gas filter, which I've read you are supposed to have to do.

It still has the original 20" bar. Never modded anything on it. Why would I?

There's a pic of it! Hahaha!

Latest posts

Back