the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 038 mag II is not much behind my 044's in speed but it is about a pound heavier. A modern day equivalent would probably by a husky 570. About the same power to weight.

I have a 038S. I really wanted a magnum but I found my super and had to have it. It was a lightly used homeowner saw. I will either find a magnum or make mine a magnum. Great saws though.

Check that the choke inside the air filter is working properly, and the linkage is correctly hooked up.

I didnt get enough time to check it out really. I thought maybe the throttle should be closed a bit more then it was on choke though. He had other issues with it though it would barely stay running he might be sucking air from the intake boot or hopefully nothing worse.

Last edited:
Need some help with my 038 Mag

I have a 038 mag I got for the low, low price of free! I cleaned the saw up and put a new ground wire on it and it fired up after a few starts, but started none the less. Well long story short I had occasion to use it recently and I got it to fire in my garage before heading to the project, but when I got there it wouldn't. I looked it over after I got back( my brother-in-law had a husky 450 on-hand) and I noticed the breather tube (I think that's what its called) didn't have any fuel in it, so I thought that perhaps it wasn't sending any fuel to the carb. I poured some fuel down the carb and it fired almost right away and died once it burned up the fuel, I even tried to throttle it and it just bogged down. So my question is where should I start troubleshooting this thing:msp_confused:. Right now I feel like I'm just working out trying to start it, hey maybe there is a money making opportunity there:laugh:

I forgot about this 038 mag thread. Guess I should post the pics of mine. :msp_thumbup:

100_2109.jpg

100_2110.jpg

100_2113.jpg

100_2119.jpg

100_2111.jpg

100_2117.jpg

I have a 038 mag I got for the low, low price of free! I cleaned the saw up and put a new ground wire on it and it fired up after a few starts, but started none the less. Well long story short I had occasion to use it recently and I got it to fire in my garage before heading to the project, but when I got there it wouldn't. I looked it over after I got back( my brother-in-law had a husky 450 on-hand) and I noticed the breather tube (I think that's what its called) didn't have any fuel in it, so I thought that perhaps it wasn't sending any fuel to the carb. I poured some fuel down the carb and it fired almost right away and died once it burned up the fuel, I even tried to throttle it and it just bogged down. So my question is where should I start troubleshooting this thing:msp_confused:. Right now I feel like I'm just working out trying to start it, hey maybe there is a money making opportunity there:laugh:

Sounds like a cracked fuel line.That's fairly cheap at the sawshop.Or you could just send it to me!:msp_w00t:...Anyway, welcome aboard.

Pull the carb and the cover for the carb diaphragm (bottom of carb, flat nose screwdriver). Chances are the little breather hole in the cover let in saw dust in, when enough sawdust gets in, the carb stops pumping fuel. I've seen it at least 5 times. Clean out the sawdust and put the cover on, then put the carb back on.

Moral of the story, clean your air filter and intake housing out regularly.

Pull the carb and the cover for the carb diaphragm (bottom of carb, flat nose screwdriver). Chances are the little breather hole in the cover let in saw dust in, when enough sawdust gets in, the carb stops pumping fuel. I've seen it at least 5 times. Clean out the sawdust and put the cover on, then put the carb back on.

Moral of the story, clean your air filter and intake housing out regularly.

I was looking at some nice .038's when I read this, after a long day of trying to get an 044 to run.

I read this post, ran out to the shop, pulled the carb and diaphragm. Nothing looked dirty, however, when I tried to pull the float needle (?) it was stuck in the carb. The chrome had come off of the needle and was stuck to the seat. I cleaned it up, bolted everything back together...SUCCESS!!!

I love the search forum feature. :msp_biggrin:

Factory Rebuilt 038 magnym II

I just purchased a Factory rebuilt 038 magnum II powerhead for my son. He uses a ms 290 with ripping bar and chain on his chainsaw mill.
We make log furniture and cut large diameter trees for table tops. These tops are cross cut not ripped. What is the largest bar and chain we can put on the 038 mag II ? Thanks in advance for all your help.

I just purchased a Factory rebuilt 038 magnum II powerhead for my son. He uses a ms 290 with ripping bar and chain on his chainsaw mill.
We make log furniture and cut large diameter trees for table tops. These tops are cross cut not ripped. What is the largest bar and chain we can put on the 038 mag II ? Thanks in advance for all your help.

That all depends on the type of chain you preferr ....

I run my 038 MAG II with a 32" bar, RSF chain (full skip, full chisel) and she sings just over 11,000 in the cut.
I also run a 24" bar with RS chain (full chisel) and she is just shy of 11,000 in the cut

She had beem MM'd and I distill the ethanol out of my 93 octane gas, run just rich of 32:1 on the gas/oil mix, and only now does she use less gas than my modified 044.

IMHO, look at my pictures and copy the MM, then tune it to 4 cycle at WOT, then clean up in the cut, and you have yourself a wicked, reliable workhorse.

Last edited:
My Stihl 038 Mag. ll from ebay

It was dropped from a height bar tip first , broke the tank a/v was all ripped

I tore it down sandblasted the case chain cover and new tank,gaskets, New Piston and Rings ,seals ,Rebuilt Cardb and painted

muffler

Its at Randy's(Mastermind) getting a little lighter going to run a 24 inch bar

I mill wood with a saw, you want a 90cc + saw. Maybe a 066 or 056M. I wish for a 088 or 090.

A friend has an old 166 Dolmar that I hope he lets go of, Leeha hooked him up with a piston, that is another beast.

My 038 are just for bucking

We are only milling cedar and the 290 works great on the 10 ft. cedar. Can I use the original 20 inch bar from the 290 on my 038 . Thank you to everyone for the replys. I have posted pictures on my profile of some of the things we make

Years ago i bought a brand new 036pro that was my "big" saw...about 6 years later a good friend gives me his 038mag after having put a new top end on it ect.....the first time i ran it it just sounded mean and i have since cut a lot of wood with it yes it is heavy and it does use a fair amount of fuel but witha 20 inch sharp chain it really cuts! great saw it will never leave the family!

sap can

We are only milling cedar and the 290 works great on the 10 ft. cedar. Can I use the original 20 inch bar from the 290 on my 038 . Thank you to everyone for the replys. I have posted pictures on my profile of some of the things we make

Yes, but you may need to switch sprockets also if your chain pitch is different. 290's usually come with .325 pitch chain and 038's usually have 3/8's. Most would prefer 3/8's on both saws.

Does an 038 mag.2 have duel ign pack 4.4 hp duel port exhaust. Again I thank all of you for your help.

An 038 Mag II has 72cc, and every one I have ever seen has the dual port muffler cover. Mine puts out lots of power, but there aint no dual ignitions .................

Latest posts

Back