the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
038 carb question

So I just purchased an 038 mag off of ebay (minutes ago) and it is missing a carburetor. Are all 3 carb makes compatible with any 038 mag or must I replace it with a specific one? If the latter, how can I tell which one I need in absence of the existing carb? Thanks!

Just picked up one (mag II) and the muffler (cover) is about to fall off, is there a better after market muffler to replace it, or should I just repair this one. Thanks

There's a nice, minty 038 mag w/ wrap handle on fleabay right now. Description says it's never cut wood.

I am sure this thread is long dead but I have to get my saw in here for posterity if anything. I purchased a 038 Mag II from my wifes uncle in 1988 (He bought it in 1987 (for $650) and complained it was 2 heavy for cutting firewood so I told him I would buy it off him for $300 Since then I have mowed down alot of the neighborhood trees with it since my inlaws neighbors knew I fell trees for a living. This saw has always ran and started and the only problem I have had with it since is when it got hung in the backcut of a falling tree and it flew up in the air and cracked the pistol grip handle. I have since replaced the fuel tank and handle with one out of Baileys and its back in action. I modified the original filter by making a velocity stack out of PVC cap and using a K&N filter on it. The only drawback is I have to maually add fuel to the carb during cold starts. I do own a 044 as well and have added the BB kit to it and would agree with the previous posts about being faster in the cut but using a 32 bar on both I pick the 038 over the 044 for the torque. I did destroy the original muffler so I had to get a replacement out of Baileys as well with the only problem being that they rust kinda easy other than that I have contemplated selling this saw to get a good climbing saw but am pretty torn by it because it has been so dependable. Oh well there is my 2cents. Thanks Burt

Here is my latest 038 Magnum, I resurrected it from a parts saw, it only really needed a spark plug lead replaced.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201231.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201223.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201377.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201376.jpg

Pioneerguy600

I am sure this thread is long dead but I have to get my saw in here for posterity if anything. I purchased a 038 Mag II from my wifes uncle in 1988 (He bought it in 1987 (for $650) and complained it was 2 heavy for cutting firewood so I told him I would buy it off him for $300 Since then I have mowed down alot of the neighborhood trees with it since my inlaws neighbors knew I fell trees for a living. This saw has always ran and started and the only problem I have had with it since is when it got hung in the backcut of a falling tree and it flew up in the air and cracked the pistol grip handle. I have since replaced the fuel tank and handle with one out of Baileys and its back in action. I modified the original filter by making a velocity stack out of PVC cap and using a K&N filter on it. The only drawback is I have to maually add fuel to the carb during cold starts. I do own a 044 as well and have added the BB kit to it and would agree with the previous posts about being faster in the cut but using a 32 bar on both I pick the 038 over the 044 for the torque. I did destroy the original muffler so I had to get a replacement out of Baileys as well with the only problem being that they rust kinda easy other than that I have contemplated selling this saw to get a good climbing saw but am pretty torn by it because it has been so dependable. Oh well there is my 2cents. Thanks Burt

Hmm my wifes uncle has 038super and he has to do the same thing on cold starts. I wonder if the carb just needs cleaned out. He will prob come over next week to cut some firewood with me.

Back