the stihl 038 magnum thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"

Take a Husqvarna 268XP Special with a 20" bar and cut side by side with a Stihl 038 with a 24" bar. The 038 is pretty much maxxed out with the longer bar, but does OK. The Husky will cut much, much faster. I'm also certain that the 038 would have faired better with a shorter bar.

A 038 Mag 2 should have no trouble with a 24" bar.

my 038 mag has no problem with a 24" bar, the saw will speedily cut through 20" dry first growth doug fir with just the weight of the saw [heavy saw;)] throwing out nice big wood chips.

now that said, i do find the saw a little heavy after the first rick truck load. :dizzy:

i cut about six cord a year. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
"If it was a rebuilt 038M, did you use OEM parts or Chi-com parts?"

The history of our 038M saw is long and complicated. Here's the short version:

Basically, I pulled three parts saws from a dumpster outside a rental place. All three were 038's seized up/not running/in peices. I managed to salvage a decent P/C from one of them, put a new ring in it, and between all three parts saws built one running saw.

Since this occured about 20 years ago, the details of the overhaul escape me. I vaguely remember a difference in the P/C's that I was trying to salvage, I'm thinking it was the bore size and possibly the bolt spacing? In any case, without spending but a few dollars (money was tight back in those days as I was raising two children on a very mediocre salary) I was able to get one saw up and running in perfect working order from the 3 scrap saws.

It was a very good saw, decent power and torque. Very high on fuel comsumption, and I didn't really like the choke/ignition switch deal. I obtained a 24" bar for it. It lacked the power of our 480CD which also uses a 24" bar. It was much slower in the smaller stuff we typically cut than our 268XPS with a 20" bar, so it spent most of it's time on the shelf.

I never said it didn't handle a 24" bar well, it was OK with it. Not overly impressive anyplace, and certainly not a really high rpm/high torque saw by any stretch of the imagination.

Running the 038 reminded my of my dad's old Mac 610 on steroids. It simply revved clean and smooth clear thru the power range, with no rush of power anyplace, and a very "flat" torque curve. Certainly nothing impressive enough to make me start worshipping said "lengendary" saw manufacturer. Sorry if the specifics of my experience and details I'm providing aren't exactly what some folks want to hear? Since I had better choices in the line-up for the tops we cut, which are usually much smaller than 24", the old Stihl spend most of its time sitting.

There would be no need to bring down an 038 for side by side testing, I had both at my disposal for over 10 years, the 268XP is lighter, faster, and just a better overall saw in just about every area, IMHO......Cliff

PS: If you want to bring down your street car, my GTO and I are up for that, we can wonder over to our local track, I LOVE a good drag race!

It really doesn't sound like you had a 72cc Mag 2.

Friends ran them with 28" bars in hardwood and they pull that bar atleast as well as a 044/372 would.

Ya, my 038 super(67cc) is a dam good runner with 20". I feel I could stand on that saw and it wont bog down. I don't think he had a Magnum as well.

"If it was a rebuilt 038M, did you use OEM parts or Chi-com parts?"

The history of our 038M saw is long and complicated. Here's the short version:

Basically, I pulled three parts saws from a dumpster outside a rental place. All three were 038's seized up/not running/in peices. I managed to salvage a decent P/C from one of them, put a new ring in it, and between all three parts saws built one running saw.

Since this occured about 20 years ago, the details of the overhaul escape me. I vaguely remember a difference in the P/C's that I was trying to salvage, I'm thinking it was the bore size and possibly the bolt spacing? In any case, without spending but a few dollars (money was tight back in those days as I was raising two children on a very mediocre salary) I was able to get one saw up and running in perfect working order from the 3 scrap saws.

It was a very good saw, decent power and torque. Very high on fuel comsumption, and I didn't really like the choke/ignition switch deal. I obtained a 24" bar for it. It lacked the power of our 480CD which also uses a 24" bar. It was much slower in the smaller stuff we typically cut than our 268XPS with a 20" bar, so it spent most of it's time on the shelf.

I never said it didn't handle a 24" bar well, it was OK with it. Not overly impressive anyplace, and certainly not a really high rpm/high torque saw by any stretch of the imagination.

Running the 038 reminded my of my dad's old Mac 610 on steroids. It simply revved clean and smooth clear thru the power range, with no rush of power anyplace, and a very "flat" torque curve. Certainly nothing impressive enough to make me start worshipping said "lengendary" saw manufacturer. Sorry if the specifics of my experience and details I'm providing aren't exactly what some folks want to hear? Since I had better choices in the line-up for the tops we cut, which are usually much smaller than 24", the old Stihl spend most of its time sitting.

There would be no need to bring down an 038 for side by side testing, I had both at my disposal for over 10 years, the 268XP is lighter, faster, and just a better overall saw in just about every area, IMHO......Cliff

PS: If you want to bring down your street car, my GTO and I are up for that, we can wonder over to our local track, I LOVE a good drag race!

You're ignoring the facts of the dicussion. It doesn't sound like you were running a Mag II. Whole different animal. Of course the 268 out cut your 038.

Just got home 30 mins ago.I was out cutting a bunch of rock hard standing dead.Used the 038 mag and the 028 super.They both worked great.Old school I'm lovin it!

A 038 Mag 2 should have no trouble with a 24" bar.

It shouldn't and it doesn't. I, lucky ole me, happen to have a super nice 038MagII. Low hours and runs perfecto. Most 038's I see at the shop are low on compression but then again they're 20 plus years old and worked pretty hard. There are faster saws in the same cc range as a 038 but these faster modern day saws have about 1/2 the life span of a 038, if that. A 20 year plus old 038 still sawing wood is as common as apple pie.

Before the 044 came out... the 038Mag2 was "THE" preferred fallers saw here in the PNW...

That and the 281XP...

Gary

Funny you say that. My brother has a old 038, hell must be hitting on 20 years now. About 7-8 years ago I sold him a spanking new 044, at discount of course, family thing ya know. Here's the funny part, he won't use the 044.
He's saving it till he wears out the 038. I told him he'll liable to be too old to use a chainsaw time he wears out that 038,LOL

I have a very old 038AV Magnum. I would not trade it. Never ever takes more than 3 pulls even cold. I wear out a 3 to 4 bars a year and several blades.

The saw was made in the early 80's and cuts with any (similar size) husky's and embarrases most husky owners with its torque and starting ease.

Next saws will be Stihl.

Latest posts

Back