The Stihl Turbo Whistle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My red light is the loudest I've heard, it's 100% the flywheel.

THAT'S IT! That high whistle sound...My 460 and buddy's 391 have the exact same sound. You're sure it's the flywheel that causes it? I don't want to fix it; actually think it sounds kinda cool, but I'm just curious.
Nice fireworks there at the end! We call that the 'spark of death', meaning you just killed your chain. We cut a lot on Poor Mountain in VA, so named because it's so rocky it's like bucking in a gravel quarry. It may look like leaves and loam under your log, but rest assured, there's a rock lying patiently in wait to jump up into your chain!

THAT'S IT! That high whistle sound...My 460 and buddy's 391 have the exact same sound. You're sure it's the flywheel that causes it? I don't want to fix it; actually think it sounds kinda cool, but I'm just curious.
Nice fireworks there at the end! We call that the 'spark of death', meaning you just killed your chain. We cut a lot on Poor Mountain in VA, so named because it's so rocky it's like bucking in a gravel quarry. It may look like leaves and loam under your log, but rest assured, there's a rock lying patiently in wait to jump up into your chain!
I had worked on that chain a good bit so I could video it with a 36" noodling and those are the first cuts, also I'm in the middle of nowhere so I didn't expect to find a big nail in a tree, I had to stop the video there cause there was bad language right after the sparks. Lol

What you could be hearing is the chain is to tight. It will put a little forward stress on the crankshaft and pull it tight against the oilpump causing that high pitch sound. Gear driven oil pump I have on my Poulan Pro 330 does it all the time.

It's the flywheel, a 660 is notorious for the sound because of the wide flywheel. There's a few huskys that will do it also.

The wide aluminum flywheel on my 066 is very loud.

Latest posts

Back