The Traveling Leveraxe/Leveraxe 2 Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the first test of Leveraxe versus Leveraxe 2 was held yesterday. I'll follow up with pictures later as they are on my other phone which is currently in deep freeze in my truck.

To start off, the LA2 head was again loose. If you recall I swelled the head for several days in late January and it has been in my garage in sub freezing temps since.

The quarry was a good sized aspen with a hollow core at the base.

Both LA and LA2 were consistently opening them up with an average of 3 hits. For splitting power I'd give a slight nod to the original however it requires significantly more energy to swing due to the increased weight.

Then I broke out the Fiskars. Consistently popped the rounds on two hits and the second hit would blow through into the dirt if you used a full power swing.

At the present, I prefer the LA2 over the original. I've got some other wood to test them on before I pass along again.

Well the LA2 which had performed most admirably in frozen aspen didn't really care for rounds from the same trees when thawed. Interesting that one variable changed the performance that much. And FWIW I was splitting 16" rounds yesterday versus 24" when frozen.

As an update:

LA1 is en route to @maul ratt and I'm going to drop LA2 at @andydodgegeek 's house in the near future (maul ratt will mail LA1 to him also once he tests it out). Andy will be bringing both models to the Iowa, Boyd's, and central MN GTG's in April.

If anyone wants to try one, or both after this please let me know.

Will be handing LA2 off to Andy soon but our schedules haven't clicked yet.

This morning I split some birch with it. Head was loose again. Worked great on the straight grained stuff. Didn't work at all in the pieces with knots.

I liked the LA1 better than the LA2. I tested it out yesterday and put this video together. The piece of Oak I'm splitting at the 7:25 time is interesting to watch. The handle felt a little loose, so I'm soaking it overnight and will continue to test it for another week or so.

Is that why the head is stainless steel - because it needs to be soaked every week?

Seriously, svk, let the handle dry out thoroughly, and do something more permanent: wedge it; or wrap the outside of the handle with tape under the handle; or swell it with something that expands the fibers permanently, etc.

Philbert

These things really need a fiskars made handle. In fact, he'd be better off just selling out to fiskars for some decent coin for inventing it, etc., and letting them build it and get them out there for like a hundred bucks, *tops*. 350, no, 100 clams, serious maybe (for me). Economies of scale works, fiskars handles, zooba, best synthetic handle I have ever used.

Anywho, great vid man! This one looks lots better than the lightweight version 2.

Is that why the head is stainless steel - because it needs to be soaked every week?

Seriously, svk, let the handle dry out thoroughly, and do something more permanent: wedge it; or wrap the outside of the handle with tape under the handle; or swell it with something that expands the fibers permanently, etc.

Philbert
Heikki never replied. Andy and I will discuss over a beer and decide what's the best way to repair. I agree soaking every 10 days isn't a good solution.

Mark,

Great job on the review. Also love the updated look with the flannel shirt and North Stars hat. ;)

I'm glad to see you had good luck with various hardwood species. With that I can see why you prefer it over the LA2. Looking forward to your next review.

Latest posts

Back