The Truth about Husky and Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burvol

Bullbuck
Reaction score
I have a newer 660, bought in August. Never ran it stock. Came from a good builder shaved, ported, ignition tweeked, transfers worked over and a burly factory dual port. The saw makes a ton of power and doesn't sound like a little sewing machine like other Stihls.

Day number 3: Chip deflector comes out of clutch cover while bucking logs, it's gone. Day number 5: Chain tensioner pukes. Week 2: Throw a few chains and it breaks the ceramic piece on the chain catcher. Week 4: Oiler pukes.

Lame as hell. They make good power when built, but they are friggin' a joke for durability. The first 385 I ever bought went 3 FRIGGIN' YEARS with not a damn thing wrong. Even clutch springs? Nope. 390's are just as durable.

I am happy I have my new saw, but I just laugh at all the guys here that think Husky makes junk saws. They are way tougher. Period. My 460's ate clutch springs, had 2 bad oilers and the filtration blows in all of their "bigger" saws. I ordered a KN for my 660, should be here soon, I'm sure that will help.

I guess I posted this because I am dissapointed in Stihl's manufacturing. So far I have seen nothing in their saws that can compare to how tough and durable a Husky is. The 92cc's of the 660 is a good niche to have for size and power. The saw is light and nimble in the hands as well. I am just heartbroken about the durability cause I like the saw.

I have a newer 660, bought in August. Never ran it stock. Came from a good builder shaved, ported, ignition tweeked, transfers worked over and a burly factory dual port. The saw makes a ton of power and doesn't sound like a little sewing machine like other Stihls.

Day number 3: Chip deflector comes out of clutch cover while bucking logs, it's gone. Day number 5: Chain tensioner pukes. Week 2: Throw a few chains and it breaks the ceramic piece on the chain catcher. Week 4: Oiler pukes.

Lame as hell. They make good power when built, but they are friggin' a joke for durability. The first 385 I ever bought went 3 FRIGGIN' YEARS with not a damn thing wrong. Even clutch springs? Nope. 390's are just as durable.

I am happy I have my new saw, but I just laugh at all the guys here that think Husky makes junk saws. They are way tougher. Period. My 460's ate clutch springs, had 2 bad oilers and the filtration blows in all of their "bigger" saws. I ordered a KN for my 660, should be here soon, I'm sure that will help.

I guess I posted this because I am dissapointed in Stihl's manufacturing. So far I have seen nothing in their saws that can compare to how tough and durable a Husky is. The 92cc's of the 660 is a good niche to have for size and power. The saw is light and nimble in the hands as well. I am just heartbroken about the durability cause I like the saw.

You got a lemon. Way too many 066s and 660s out there logging and have been for years. husky is tough? They make a good saw but if you want one that is going to take a beating, better make it a Stihl.;)

burvol id say you just didnt have any luck on the saw, i have been logging with stihls for 20 yrs and find that some are better than others. some never let you down others do. its the same with husky saws i ran them for a while when i lived in ohio and found the same goes for them ,good and bad ones. but the good thing is when your saws are running good it puts money in the pocket no matter what brand. although i am a die hard stihl man i really like the 460 for my neck of the woods

Last edited:
burvol id say you just diidnt have any lick on the saw, i have been logging with stihls for 20 yrs and find that some are better than others. some never let you down others do. its the same with husky saws i ran them for a while when i lived in ohio and found the same goes for them ,good and bad ones. but the good thing is when your saws running good it puts money in the pocket no matter what brand. although i am a die hard stihl man

I hear ya bud. I am just kinda butt hurt, LOL.

I have to admit, I always have thought the Husqvarna saws "looks cheap built". Im talking the pro saws, screw the small homeowner saws.

That being said, I built a 365 into a 372 that runs flawless, and have ran the hell out of 257's and a couple 357's, and they run great, no complaints. The filtration is excellent.

I tend to own more Stihls than other brands because they feel and look better constructed to me, but anyone that thinks Huskies and Jonsereds and a bunch of other brands are junk needs to pull their head out.

These are just my opinions, Im no logger or pro arborist, but I build a lot of saws and work on everything from chainsaws to 100 ton crawler cranes.

Burvol, dont give up on that 660. They all give trouble man.

Last edited:
Back