The Truth about Husky and Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I'll give him $500 for that POS. He is a husky man anyway, same thing happenend when I bought a husky.:bang:

Well, Stihlheads are a fish, so I guess you are one as well! :chainsawguy:

That would explain why you can't judge a chainsaw properly!

maybe the problem is you should leave your saw stock if it works dont fix it if it was a blown saw then i can see messing with the saw and doing all this work but not with a brand new saw pointless there made to be used to heat ur house or make you money

:food:
maybe the problem is you should leave your saw stock if it works dont fix it if it was a blown saw then i can see messing with the saw and doing all this work but not with a brand new saw pointless there made to be used to heat ur house or make you money

That's a consideration, of course. But reviewing the original post, the problems he mentions don't on first blush seem to be caused by engine modding. I'm no expert on modding. Haven't done a port/mill job myself, but I do like the added power-to-weight ratio that modded saws deliver. My three modded saws are woods ports, which are a bit more conservative than some. Many guys who cut to make a living and feed their families/heat their houses use modded saws as a matter of course, and with great results long term.

So, could a more aggressive mod cause the OP's problems? Honest question.

Last edited:

after running modded saws ,lots of us find it pointless to take a stock saw to the job knowing youll be bi tch in about it all day. once you go modded you dont go back.

I have to disagree on that one. Like Landrum said if you ever go ported it's hard to go back to stock and get the same amount of work done. Why not do a job in 2 hours instead of 4, and get on to the next one. Just my 2 cents.
We run both and there is a difference.

ill admit i never ran a modded saw id like to but just buy the saws and use them how reliable are the modded saws like will they last years and years of abuse 5 and 6 days a week 10hr days im wondering on this

i doubt it would cut down half the work time felling trees and bucking the tops off hey thats just me isnt porting n modding a saw a few hundred dollars

ill admit i never ran a modded saw id like to but just buy the saws and use them how reliable are the modded saws like will they last years and years of abuse 5 and 6 days a week 10hr days im wondering on this

I do arborist work and cut my own home heating firewood (about 10 cords of firewood per year), so I don't put in as many hours with a saw as pro loggers do. But a solid woods porting increases a saw's power without shortening its life, according to the folks who fire their saws up every day and cut with them all day.

Well, Stihlheads are a fish, so I guess you are one as well! :chainsawguy:

That would explain why you can't judge a chainsaw properly!

There is something smelly in here but I can assure you I'm not a fish.:D

I'm pretty sure I can judge too, after all I do use mine.:D Slap me for prefering Stihl over the rest. When they fail me, I'll look into the others. Unless you want to buy me a few new saws???

I've run crap from both, and had great from both......It does seem like the 066's hold together a bit better than the 660's....just from what I've seen in the woods.

It's pretty tough to beat a 390/394/395 though. But........man I love my ported 066. No allegiance here, just build me a saw that makes me money - Sam

i doubt it would cut down half the work time felling trees and bucking the tops off hey thats just me isnt porting n modding a saw a few hundred dollars

Gains can be anywhere from 20-50%, so yeah, you could cut your time in half running a ported saw. To have it done right by a pro, you are looking at a starting price around $200-250. Well worth it imo.:rockn:

There is something smelly in here but I can assure you I'm not a fish.:D

I'm pretty sure I can judge too, after all I do use mine.:D Slap me for prefering Stihl over the rest. When they fail me, I'll look into the others. Unless you want to buy me a few new saws???

LOL, who really cares, anyway - I just run the saws that I like the best, and in my case that involves one single Stihl, but a few more Huskys! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I am not a fanatic, and never was! :cheers:

All I can say is find a friend who will let you test run a ported saw the same as your stock saw and you'll be sending yours off to see the wizards. I didn't think it was a big deal till I did my own 359 just for giggles and it rips now and I didn't know what I was doing. I may end up sending it to a real saw porter. Got a deal in the works on one to give 2K a run for his money at the next GTG.

That best describes me also. I just started with Sithl and prefer 'em over all the other brands I have ran. .....

Not really, as you know some evidence to the contrary, but just disregard it, to support the way outdated MS260 in your posts.........

The truth is that the 260 isn't even worth testing against the more modern 50cc saws!

The model was basically outdated by 1999, when the 346xp first appeared!

Last edited:
I hope Slamm (Sam) chime in & tell you about his MS441 later on !! He beats the living day lights out of his 441 & even had a tree fell on it. IIRC he puts it back together & went back cutting with it..

Great post Burvol. Somebody that is actually using the saws for a living.

JMO though

Back