the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
I hate 'em right now because they've made me look stupid twice with puddles of bar oil on the ground in the last few days. I finally looked close enough today to see the alignment arrows on the edge of the cap and the tanks on the saw. I'm going on my 5th tank of fuel in a new ms460. Unreal how much stronger this saw runs now than it did on the first tank of fuel. Back to the caps, in the long run I think I will like them.

i agree.

Stihl must have bribed many pro voters here....grrrr or is it Thall hiding behind the screen and manipulating those numbers...:dizzy:

i have yet to meet anyone in person who liked them.i guess if you put the saw on a shelf in your bedroom and just stared at it the caps would never give you any trouble.

i know guys that were die hard Stihl who have switched to other brands just because of those stupid caps.

My mom was a mechanic, my dad an engineer. I have changed oil and talk to yarder engineers.

FIE ON FLIPPY CAPS. :chainsaw:

As stated before, this time of year the bar oil GLUGS out of the jug. No I don't put it in a dish detergent bottle, or a ketchup bottle, the bar oil rides in the back of the pickup in the 1 gallon jug tied to the sawgas.

The flippy cap seems to come out of adjustment and I have to turn the inner workings clockwise or was it counterclockwise to get it back in harmony.

And, get this! The other day I actually caught it on some brush and it popped the flip part up. I saw it before it came open and spewed. Nope, send the flippies back to Haight Ashbury where they belong!

That's the main complaint I here...won't stay in.

I'm trying to keep this poll clean and free of vulgar comments but that ones almost to easy . sorry but im gonna leave that one alone ..

hate flip caps , my scrench and the old caps get along fine . the new caps can be a pain to get to tighten down and seal

I never understood the problem with them. I am not careful, I don't check them and I don't spill anything, at any time and have never had them come open or fall out. I do have one on the 361 that has finally started to stick a little, but not much of a problem. They are on the 260-361-441 and these are my primary using saws.

I always have a file and scrench, but I like not having to use the scrench for that little "bump" to tighten the screw caps ...... and also the screw caps don't bother me either, but I like the flippy caps more.

Call me advanced, LOL, but I never knew there was something wrong or bad with the flippy caps until I started visiting this forum, LOL.

Sam

I thought the idea of the flip cap was great until, having a fuel cap not latch and when I flipped the saw upright gas dump all over my legs and my boots and was just a mess.... I regulary hear complants from customers regaurding the new caps. I've even had several guys spend the extra $ to buy the 660 when all they need is a 460 just because the've had bad luck with the new caps.

to add to my previous post- They can be a nice feature to some I guess but if your saw has the regular bar nuts and not the quick chain adjust then your going to have the sqrench along any way,so why not just leave the old caps.....

As a gold certified Stihl Tech, I'm a Stihl fan to the core, but agree that this is one feature saws could do without.

They work OK, but honestly it was an invention buy an engineer that needed a pay check.

I think the flippy caps were invented by someone who wanted a simple, foolproof way of IQ checking the workers in the field without a bunch of questions and answers and pens and paper.

I mean, if you can't successfully operation the Stihl Flippy Cap you have to admit it doesn't show to good on the family tree.

Again its a cap. It wasn't FDA approved as a childproofing technique for medicine bottles they are just caps. If the success or failure of your day is somehow going to be directly related to your ability or inability to operate a cap. You probably have bigger life problems that need solving that day.

That is just my opinion, as they say "Don't let the turkeys get you down." Well, I guess the next office mug should show a guy with Stihl Flippy Caps all over him and captioned below that should read, "Don't let the Flippy Caps get your down."

My opinion,

Sam

I think the flippy caps were invented by someone who wanted a simple, foolproof way of IQ checking the workers in the field without a bunch of questions and answers and pens and paper.

I mean, if you can't successfully operation the Stihl Flippy Cap you have to admit it doesn't show to good on the family tree.

Again its a cap. It wasn't FDA approved as a childproofing technique for medicine bottles they are just caps. If the success or failure of your day is somehow going to be directly related to your ability or inability to operate a cap. You probably have bigger life problems that need solving that day.

That is just my opinion, as they say "Don't let the turkeys get you down." Well, I guess the next office mug should show a guy with Stihl Flippy Caps all over him and captioned below that should read, "Don't let the Flippy Caps get your down."

My opinion,

Sam

Spoken like a true Stihl head.:cheers:

Like I said they work Ok, but what problem did they solve????

To put this into some context. We have a Cat 910 wheel loader that has a fuel cap that I guess, for security reasons must be pushed down and turned at the same time ........ quite complex, LOL.

They could have just used a normal cap with a padlock on it, who knows, but the happiness of my day and the production outcome is not going to be determined by my success or failure at opening or closing that fuel cap each morning, LOL, or at least in my little world its not going to be.

Maybe some peoples lives are just more or less complex overall than others and to that varying degree, each person has little bumps in life that are speed bumps for some and life changing ramps for others, LOL.

Its a cap,

Sam

Spoken like a true Stihl head.

Like I said they work Ok, but what problem did they solve????

Fortunately the guy that invented the wingnut didn't think like you do. What was wrong with the normal hex nuts, don't you have a wrench or toolbox around when you want to check your air filter on your truck or car, or could we just use a wingnut instead?

Not to call it a problem, but to answer your question is simple ...... you don't need to use the scrench.

If the engineer that "invented" this cap is going to get blamed for "over engineering" a cap. Then those that can't simply figure out how to use it should be branded in some fashion as well ........ I'm not sure which is worse.

Again its just a cap,

Sam

Fortunately the guy that invented the wingnut didn't think like you do. What was wrong with the normal hex nuts, don't you have a wrench or toolbox around when you want to check your air filter on your truck or car, or could we just use a wingnut instead?

Not to call it a problem, but to answer your question is simple ...... you don't need to use the scrench.

If the engineer that "invented" this cap is going to get blamed for "over engineering" a cap. Then those that can't simply figure out how to use it should be branded in some fashion as well ........ I'm not sure which is worse.

Again its just a cap,

Sam

do you have to use tham every day? for your living?

production outcome is not going to be determined by my success or failure at opening or closing that fuel cap each morning said:
Well, it's one aggravation that I can do without. Screw caps have never dumped gas and bar oil on my boots.

Stihl makes an excellent saw, but were the screw caps failing? Were people demanding something else?

Say what you want about my intellect, but Stihl has managed to run me off with the flip caps.:deadhorse:

Always thought they were great until I poured gas down the front of my shirt and pants last week when it was screwed "on". Thought it was a fluke until the next day it didn't want to seat correctly again. Just give me the old tried and true! Down with flippy caps! Can't they just make a bigger knob on em so they're easier to open with gloves on?

Again its just a cap,

Sam

A wingnut doesn't have any moving parts, the flippy caps do. I'm not really saying I take issue with them, I just don't see how they fix anything, as I always carry a scrench with me anyway. That's all I'm saying, it's really no big deal to me, it's just one more thing to buy when it breaks.

Last edited:
Back