The Whining Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retirement is hard. I was forced to go up and go skiing today. It was foggy with gusty winds and 10 degrees in the parking lot. My thumbs about froze while I was buckling up my boots. Then.....halfway up the hill on the chairlift, the fog went away, the wind had the feel of a spring breeze and it was about 20 degrees warmer and quite pleasant. We were able to stay in that climate all afternoon.

Of course, then we had to ski back down into the fog and arctic conditions at the end of the day.

Looks like the eastside of the state is socked in. Sounds like the more west part of the state is too. My community was sunny today.

I clear cut around the property over the weekends. Pretty big laurel trees with the biggest being a shy under 11" DBH. Also cut a ton of the wicked wild plum. Still have a few barbs stuck in me, one in the fore head for sure.

Well the hematoma on the leg turns out to be infected and have I MRSA. Legs swelled, sore, and funny colors. Crews back to work and I'm stuck at home.

Well the hematoma on the leg turns out to be infected and have I MRSA. Legs swelled, sore, and funny colors. Crews back to work and I'm stuck at home.

I gave your post a "holy crap, MRSA is bad!" like.

Don't mess around with that, do everything you need to kick it. :msp_mellow:

I have this nasty habit of going and getting the newspaper in a t shirt; boxers and romeos early in the morning when it's still dark out when it's in the low 20's outside didn't notice till walking back from the mail box that every thing was frosty white this morning and the back door had shut behide me when I walked outside I was lucky that my truck door was unlock so I could get to the garage door opener

I have this nasty habit of going and getting the newspaper in a t shirt; boxers and romeos early in the morning when it's still dark out when it's in the low 20's outside didn't notice till walking back from the mail box that every thing was frosty white this morning and the back door had shut behide me when I walked outside I was lucky that my truck door was unlock so I could get to the garage door opener

Damn, lucky you didn't have to snuggle up bum-style under the newspaper

had a house in north mary's hel a few years ago, fancy new one with a garage, warsher and dryer where in the garage, so I'd hop out of the shower and go grab clean skivies out of the dryer (lived alone then...) well one day the garage door opener broke, so I go running in there to grab the usual and the door is wide open in broad daylight... didn't notice the draft until I was on my way back...:D

I had a experience like that once but it was more of a nightmare.
I was building my retirement home way out in the sticks, I was getting close to being done and was staying in it during the week and coming home on weekends.

One night I get up to take a leak, no pluming fixtures yet so I go outside in under ware and slippers and close door behind me, and it is locked, seven degree's outside.

It has a attached garage but I had the door opening boarded up to keep the snow out, without breaking something the only way into the house was thru the garage attic into the house attic, thank my lucky stars I had a ladder in the garage and after I tore off enough wood over the garage door opening to squeeze thru i got the ladder and found my way to the attic opening in the dark pulled the ladder up into the attic and carried it thru the both attics in the dark to the opening into the house and lowered it down and climbed down. That is the coldest I have ever been!

When daylight came, first thing I did was stash a house key outside. :)

--J

Looks like the huggers are out again sticking it too us local folks.

"Two conservation groups have threatened to sue the U.S. Forest Service over a long-debated timber sale to reduce fire hazard around Lemolo and Diamond lakes. Eugene-based Cascadia Wildlands and Portland-based Oregon Wild contend the Umpqua National Forest timber sale would harm the threatened northern spotted owl. They announced Wednesday they plan to go to court if the Forest Service doesn’t modify its D-Bug Hazard Reduction Sale to avoid destroying spotted owl habitat. The timber sale is intended to reduce fire danger to popular recreation areas by thinning mountain pine beetle-infested trees."

Looks like the huggers are out again sticking it too us local folks.

"Two conservation groups have threatened to sue the U.S. Forest Service over a long-debated timber sale to reduce fire hazard around Lemolo and Diamond lakes. Eugene-based Cascadia Wildlands and Portland-based Oregon Wild contend the Umpqua National Forest timber sale would harm the threatened northern spotted owl. They announced Wednesday they plan to go to court if the Forest Service doesn’t modify its D-Bug Hazard Reduction Sale to avoid destroying spotted owl habitat. The timber sale is intended to reduce fire danger to popular recreation areas by thinning mountain pine beetle-infested trees."

Their ignorance is sad. That area can be logged, and any good trees left behind, or it will all burn up. The owls certainly have no habitat when it all burns up.

I think we have to either get very loud, like they did, or concede that the federal lands will no longer be managed. I hope there is enough timberland to keep everybody working on state and private lands.

In my fair state, the newcomers don't realize that the state forest lands are trust lands for financing education. They need to be reminded regularly. Otherwise, those acres will be locked up--except for recreational use.

Their ignorance is sad. That area can be logged, and any good trees left behind, or it will all burn up. The owls certainly have no habitat when it all burns up.

I think we have to either get very loud, like they did, or concede that the federal lands will no longer be managed. I hope there is enough timberland to keep everybody working on state and private lands.

In my fair state, the newcomers don't realize that the state forest lands are trust lands for financing education. They need to be reminded regularly. Otherwise, those acres will be locked up--except for recreational use.

I think that the only way we'll ever be listened to is if we organize the way the waco's do. Then every time the Forest Service caves because the enviro's threaten to file a law suit, we file a law suit on the Forest Service for not managing the forest they have been given charge of.
They'll be damned if they do, and damned if they don't....just like us.

My whine for the day.
It's snowing. I know we need the moisture for the forest. I know we need the snow pack for the aquafer. I just don't like snow.

Andy

sadly they will sacrifice an entire forest to save a few birds...

As far as warshington forests being locked up, up here we're to close to the big city, so nearly every DNR road has a locked gate on it, so yeah you can enjoy the forest, but only if you can walk. Its largely due to dumping garbage, but meth labs and dumping of bodies sure don't encourage the DNR people to keep the roads open. A bunch of the FS roads near by are finally getting reopened after all the wash outs a few years ago, but a bunch of idiots are blocking some of the bigger roads, pretty soon we won't be able to enjoy any of it...

DNR wants us to pay for some access permit thingy (can't remember what they call it) but there really isn't anywhere we can go so why the f would I pay 20 bucks for a cute yellow sticker I can't use... so I can park at a gate and hope I don't get shot at by the illiterate red necks, shooting at the sign that says NO SHOOTING, because its a f'n road you moron...

Don't get me wrong I love my guns, but gravel pits are left open for a reason...

Back