The wife said 'you need a bigger one'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed a saw you need at the flea market this morning. It was a Stihl 088 with 42" or 48" bar on it. After seeing that beast, I'm quite sure my 066 is big (and heavy)enough.

dsm, how'd you cut your hand? saw kickback?

installing new chain, i took my glove off for a min and got in a hurry :censored:

he might have some skip. I might have a loop of skip you can have,.It will be .375 .50 72DL
cool, but not sure what all those numbers mean. and last chain i put togeather was for my Quad many years ago.:D
i am used to just buying what came with saw, up here at Haltom's no wait now it's Indy Tractor. which just does not seem the same...:cry:

Im not sure what they have in stock anymore. I work up in Indy and usually go to the dealer close to my work. Might give em a call. Or like ericjeeper said try Rick's next to Bender lumber. Not sure of his hours though. If I didnt have plans Id come help cut it up today. Ive got a couple saws to try out. Let me know if you find anything. :cheers:
hey thanks. will be out of town next saturday but back hard at it on sunday.
i got two more large cuts done on the big one this morning and the one next to it almost cut in half, got chain hooked to tractor to pull it off and rain came.
will work on them this week.
need to get trailer unloaded so i can borrow lawn mower to cut grass next wekend...

Last edited:
Okay you guys have mentined two saws, Johnny's Red 2171 or an Orange 372XP.
i know the debate of which saw is the best is a long running arugument and we will never have EVERYONE agree. but really is Sthil really # 3 out there??

HEY! RDT?
does Ace sell Skip tooth chains for the Sthil?

Stihl is way too far up to be #3, more like #1. The 2171/372's are nice saws but the Stihl 441 or 460 would be another choice, built much better than the elux's imo. The Dolmar 7900 would be my next choice after the 441/460, both great saws. Remember, you get what ya pay for....:cheers:

These are my favorite's(044/440), built like tanks and just can't be beat. I hope to be trading a 2171 for another 044 here soon. There is a used 460 in the classifieds that looks like it wood serve you well, maybe send the guy a reasonable offer....

attachment.php

These are my favorite's(044/440), built like tanks and just can't be beat. I hope to be trading a 2171 for another 044 here soon. There is a used 460 in the classifieds that looks like it wood serve you well, maybe send the guy a reasonable offer....

attachment.php

What saws do you have in the picture 2000? A 440 and 460? What length bar is on the saw with the big dawgs?

Stihl is way too far up to be #3, more like #1. The 2171/372's are nice saws but the Stihl 441 or 460 would be another choice, built much better than the elux's imo. The Dolmar 7900 would be my next choice after the 441/460, both great saws. Remember, you get what ya pay for....:cheers:
yes, yes you do that's why I bought the Stihl's i have.
I only want to buy once.
bought a cheap plastic drywall pole sander figure it would be just fine for remodeling the house, but broke it after the first room, went and got the 'good' one that was only $10 more, wife said NEXT TIME get the GOOD one!!!!!! first!!!!!!!

thanks, not a bad idea, but used always scares me, but then new that thing is $900...... WOW!..... I paid $380.00 for my MS310, case, chain, gal bar oil, six pack of oil. now the saw itself is $410.0 i noticed yesterday.....

dsm382 the saw I was telling you about is all ready gone. Im kicking myself in the rear for not buying when I heard about it. :cry:

yes, yes you do that's why I bought the Stihl's i have.
I only want to buy once.
bought a cheap plastic drywall pole sander figure it would be just fine for remodeling the house, but broke it after the first room, went and got the 'good' one that was only $10 more, wife said NEXT TIME get the GOOD one!!!!!! first!!!!!!!

thanks, not a bad idea, but used always scares me, but then new that thing is $900...... WOW!..... I paid $380.00 for my MS310, case, chain, gal bar oil, six pack of oil. now the saw itself is $410.0 i noticed yesterday.....

That sounds just like me when people ask me what saw to buy. I say if you want to buy right the first time, go with Stihl. I mention husky sometimes but always hear, "Ain't they sold at blowes?" I say yup, try a Stihl.:clap:

I know it's hard to buy used but most guys here are straight up and are truthful, more saw nuts like us.

dsm382 the saw I was telling you about is all ready gone. Im kicking myself in the rear for not buying when I heard about it. :cry:
no worries, i posted else where about the new chisel tooth i tried tonight, and now i need to get a skip and 24" bar and i can tear that log up.

That sounds just like me when people ask me what saw to buy. I say if you want to buy right the first time, go with Stihl. I mention husky sometimes but always hear, "Ain't they sold at blowes?" I say yup, try a Stihl.:clap:

I know it's hard to buy used but most guys here are straight up and are truthful, more saw nuts like us.
that's good to hear.
with the WH i have been fixing it almost weekly just to mow the yard. borrowed a old HEAVY Mac with 24" bar when i started cutting here 7 yrs ago and after pulling, pulling pulling to get the thing started, i gave it back and went to dealer and wrote a check for a new worry free saw. course it had to go back 4 months later for repair but it's been a good saw and it's now 5.5 yrs old i think...:D

Latest posts

Back